Hot glue gun?

hoyden

Lady Bug
It's past my bedtime and there's a tornado watch outside, so I'm not going to sleep anytime soon.
Got to thinking about campering, as usual, and wondered if any of y'all have used hot glue guns in your 'modifications' for anything?

Nope, don't have one... But, every time the plastic cover that hides my Ford Ranger fuses falls off (which is every time i put it back on), I think could find a use for one.

Lady Bug, I think that it might be quite handy... Thanks for the idea...

Haven't used one in a camper but have on many things. It's a great quick fix that is semi-permanent so reversible and repeatable :)

hoyden said:
It's past my bedtime and there's a tornado watch outside, so I'm not going to sleep anytime soon.
Got to thinking about campering, as usual, and wondered if any of y'all have used hot glue guns in your 'modifications' for anything?
I've used one but results were poor in my application....

We had sewed on velcro as we made up bug screens and blackout curtains for our van's windows and then used adhesive-backed velcro tabs around the window to mount them. That worked for a while but we had problems with the tabs eventually lifting up. It turns out the adhesive's service temperature limit is about 120 degrees. Temperatures get pretty hot around the windows so apparently the combination of the heat softening the adhesive and perhaps the weight of the fabric or even our tugs on the fabric as we took down the curtains caused the tabs to lift.

We keep a supply of spare tabs for this occasion but a few years ago it occurred to me that I might solve the problem with hot-melt glue. For a few months, that appeared to take care of it but that too didn't last. It softened and failed.

I eventually found Loctite Stik and Seal Extreme Conditions and that has resolved the issue for us. It has an operating range of -58F to +248F. (Technical data sheet).

It's very likely that the right hot-melt glue stick would also work for this but I've not taken time to find it. I remember looking for them locally and being confused by what 'high temperature' glue sticks were.... particularly when some are marketed as 'dual temperature' sticks. It turns out that just means the stick can be used in either a low-temperature (170-250F) gun or a high temp (380 F) gun. If I had it to do over I'd start researching professional glue sticks (starting here)

I suppose the other approach I could have used was to get hook-and-loop material with a high temp adhesive in the first place. I don't believe those were available at the time but now see them on Amazon. (here and here). For any future uses of velcro in the van or Hawk, I'll look for high-temp adhesive backing.

Neat! Thanks Old Crow!

I had a glue gun a while back, but like label makers, I really shouldn't own them. I tend to use them for random things (like sticking label names on the dog.... :-D ) That said, both are handy!

Last night, I was trying to brainstorm ways in which I could use one for the camper (perhaps trying to give myself an excuse to buy a glue gun again). Ha!

I used to be a stagehand many years ago. When doing that work we used them constantly on scenery ect. I have one now but rarely use it. Can't remember the last time I used it. Hot glue is great for quick fixes on paper, cardboard, fabric kinda stuff. Works well for patching carpet. For more permanent or heavy work there is usually a better solution.

Squatch.... I'll be the old stagehand in you means you don't go anywhere without some Permatex duct tape or something with a cloth base besides that cheapo Dollar Store duct tape made out of plastic.

I use gaffers tape all the time! I keep rolls of that around! So helpful! I also keep painters tape around - not strong for binding things like gaffers or duct tape, but doesn't leave residue (tho gaffers tape leaves far less residue than duct tape!.

PackRat said:
Squatch.... I'll be the old stagehand in you means you don't go anywhere without some Permatex duct tape or something with a cloth base besides that cheapo Dollar Store duct tape made out of plastic.
Ha Ha! My son get's me the Mil spec stuff. Don't really use it for much though.

Actually the show business part of my life was long ago. A full career at the phone company replaced duct tape with Black tape and cable ties!

Reality is these days I don't work that much on temporary stuff. I try to avoid quick fixes if I can and repair stuff properly.

Funny thing. I do furniture restoration/conservation mostly of antiques and heirloom pieces. I use a hot glue gun to hold something in place while I align small pieces, multi-clamping or to hold down temporarily a piece of veneer while cutting replacement pieces. I have a $20 Dewalt and it is fine. I did the Fantastic Fan speed dial change this summer (a great mod) I used the hot glue to hold the new control unit in place as well as to secure the wires in a tight spot. BTW that mod is wonderful...the fan now can turn real slow and quiet. Think of the hot glue gun as a third hand and it is as well sufficient for non stress adhesion.

Oooh, I hadn't thought of using it as a "third hand" or to hold "nuts and washers together when you have to get them in a tight location." Excellent uses!

I'm liking all these ideas! Yay!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom