Hot water and outside side shower.

Jpiercemt

Hello!
I just bought (and haven’t taken possession of) a 2013 Grandby. I’d like to add propane hot water and an outside shower. Is this possible? Has anybody done it?

I am not familiar with the plumbing set up in a Grandby, but you might take a look at my post on the Alaskan forum on winterizing in five minutes, I use it to winterize once or twice a year, I use it as a shower all spring, summer and fall. Not as nice as what you are describing but simple and effective. A quart of boiling water dumped into a couple of gallons of room temp water gets you to shower temperature. The spray away connection is simple and works well.
good luck.

If you are looking to replicate the factory hot water/shower option you may be needing quite a bit of cabinet re-working to fit in the 6-gallon tank; unless you can just delete some drawer(s) to make room. I'm sure someone has done it so hopefully there is more info available for you.

Thanks for both the tips! Ideally I would replicate the factory set up and I’m ok reworking cabinets. The biggest problem is the outside vent. If you hear of anybody that’s done it, let me know. Thanks!!

Jpiercemt said:
Thanks for both the tips! Ideally I would replicate the factory set up and I’m ok reworking cabinets. The biggest problem is the outside vent. If you hear of anybody that’s done it, let me know. Thanks!!
I believe it is more than just reworking cabinets, there is a fairly large opening on the outside that allows you access to the water heater gas and electric connections, and is to the best of my knowledge how you get the heater in and out of the camper.

The unknown for me is whether or not FWC builds the framing for the opening into all of their campers, regardless of whether or not the customer orders the WH.

I recommend you reach out to Stan Kennedy at FWC to get clear answers.

Another more expensive, but nicer and possibly easier install option would be to add the Truma Combi hot water heater and furnace.

This would replace the furnace, and only requires a small hole for the exhaust/intake as opposed to the standard RV water heater that requires a large cutout. There are several advantages to the Truma, it is a much more modern design than either the current furnace or hot water heater, is much quieter, is smaller and lighter, more energy efficient and more conducive to winter use. The big disadvantage is the price ($1500 as opposed to ~$400 for a standard RV water heater), and the somewhat grey market US distributor.

I am definitely considering ripping out my current hot water heater and furnace and installing one of these - but it would be great if someone else went first.......

Hello jpiercemt

This might be easier.

Google search “ portable hot propane shower “

As above post lot of work to install this in camper.

Russ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom