How are rear flood lights mounted? Recommendations?

esimmers

My 2009 Hawk didn't come with the two rear flood lights but the folks at FWC told me where the 1/2" holes were located behind the aluminum skin. I found the hole locations, opened them up and fished out the single green wire for powering the flood lights (the flood lights are apparently grounded to the camper frame as there's no ground wire). I also found the other end of the green wires under the refrigerator and connected it to my IOTA 12v distribution panel.

So, I'm looking for aftermarket flood lights and want to learn the best way to mount them and deal with the 1/2' holes in the rear top left and right corners of the camper where the green wires come out.

Can anyone post a picture showing behind the flood lights how they are mounted and how the wire runs?

Anyone have recommendations for bright LED floods that can mount on a vertical wall? Lots of the lights I've seen don't have a base that will swivel far enough to mount on a vertical wall; they're for horizontal surfaces.

And what about switching? Anyone have an opinion about switching flood lights from inside the camper as opposed to outside switches mounted on each light?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

These guys have LED floods down the page. Haven't used them but am using their CAL48-W in my porch and awning lights.The CAL48-W uses about 2 1/4 watts as compared with up to 35 watts used by 1157.

They also have florescent camper conversion to LED for older campers.

Paul

esimmers said:
My 2009 Hawk didn't come with the two rear flood lights but the folks at FWC told me where the 1/2" holes were located behind the aluminum skin. I found the hole locations, opened them up and fished out the single green wire for powering the flood lights (the flood lights are apparently grounded to the camper frame as there's no ground wire). I also found the other end of the green wires under the refrigerator and connected it to my IOTA 12v distribution panel.

So, I'm looking for aftermarket flood lights and want to learn the best way to mount them and deal with the 1/2' holes in the rear top left and right corners of the camper where the green wires come out.

Can anyone post a picture showing behind the flood lights how they are mounted and how the wire runs?

Anyone have recommendations for bright LED floods that can mount on a vertical wall? Lots of the lights I've seen don't have a base that will swivel far enough to mount on a vertical wall; they're for horizontal surfaces.

And what about switching? Anyone have an opinion about switching flood lights from inside the camper as opposed to outside switches mounted on each light?

Thanks in advance!

Ed
If you contact Brenda at FWC she can tell what brand they use. I had 2 installed on our new Grandby. I really like them. jd

I used one of the lamp mounting screw for my ground. After wiring the lamp, I used RTV sealant around the hole and mounting screw holes and the tightened the screws. My camper came with a prewired switch close to the door opening. I am currently looking for some LED flood lamps to replace the halogen lamps I currently have on the camper. Look at Rigid lighting products, nice stuff.

I used one of these, though not in black: http://www.amazon.com/LENBO-White-Waterproof-Outdoor-Lights/dp/B008XZAPV8/ref=pd_sim_lg_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YQJJ1EFM5DX31WTPV11
I don't think two are required or even desired.
51zo%2BXZVqsL._SL1001_.jpg

Does anyone know the location of the wiring? I am assuming if the OP's 2009 Hawk was prewired and predrilled that my 2014 would be as well.

One power wire is strange.... how did you ground the lights?

One of my gripes is their not running a separate ground wire. Camper frame is an iffy ground. Btw, my cheapies off ebay are holding up just fine.

I decided to use the exact location & wiring of the existing standard porch light. I wanted to add some really good LED floods. I bought the Baja lamps that put out 2000 lumens! Great lamps. I also bought a piece of red plastic from Tap Plastics to put over those lamps (using a simple clamp) when in a camp site the other people so it does not wake the dead. So I use them with, or without the plastic cover.

Then I made a mounting box. Bought 1/8 inch X 3/4 inch wide steel bar from Home Depot and bent it square. Added a cover and mounting holes. I do have Mig welder. I love the result. Only thing I don't like is that the silicon sealer I used on edges turns brown and dirty (as seen in photo). Lights turn on & off from switch inside.
Chris

Attachments

• Lamp3.jpg
    Lamp3.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 177
My camper came with a mismatched set of floods, along with an old broken one, so I bought a new pair of LED floods to mount.

P1040098r.JPGP1040097r.JPG

I was in the middle of a major repair that involved new skin (siding), that made the next task a bit more simple. I too discovered the new flood brackets were really intended to mount on a bumper or lightbar, not a wall. I decided to mount the brackets to a spacer, and use rivnuts (threaded inserts or nutserts) to fasten the whole mess. The new mounting location was chosen to fall into the "Valley" on the new siding. Also visible here is the old mounting with many stripped holes, and the stains from water leaks. The rivnuts were applied using an Astro-Pneumatic #1442 tool. The extra 1/2" hole I added as a cable entry point symmetrical with the opposite side, but I changed my mind on that. All the old holes were deburred and and abandoned.
P1030918r.JPGP1030925r.JPG
The mounting block was cut and milled from an aluminum bar, then painted with Rustoleum Glossy White.
P1030921r.JPGP1030922r.JPGP1030923r.JPG
The new cable entry was located at the bottom of the block. I drilled another 1/2" hole and reused the plastic bushing to protect the cable. A 1/2" channel was milled into the bottom of the block for the cable. The rivnut locations were measured and documented so they could be found and drilled after the new skin was applied. After mounting and testing, the channel was filled with silicone/RTV and a grommet was inserted to prevent chaffing.
P1040095r.JPGP1030971r.JPG

Back
Top Bottom