How Big a Furnace Do I Need?

White Dog

This thread is a carryover from Ramblinman's discussion on furnace size from my FWC Options thread.

So here is what I've observed about furnaces in the various RVs I've owned or borrowed over the years. First, a bit of background which is probably well known to most but it's a starting point.

Furnaces produce heat to keep us warm (obviously) and are controlled by thermostats that turn the furnaces on or off. Contrary to my wife's belief, they are simply a switch that turns the furnace on and off at a predetermined temperature (sorry dear but turning the temperature setting on the thermostat to 90 will not heat the trailer up faster). Thermostats have a 'cut in' setting and a 'cut out' temperature, usually a few degrees apart. The 'cut in' temperature is the temperature at which the furnace receives the command to start and the 'cut out' temperature is the temperature at which the furnace is told to begin its shutdown cycle. 'Cut out' temperature is necessarily higher than 'cut in' otherwise the system wouldn't work.

Have patience, this is leading somewhere.

The thermostat tells the furnace to start when the temperature falls below the set 'cut in'
temperature. The furnace comes on and begins to warm up the camper. It continues to produce heat until the thermostat is warm enough to exceed the 'cut out' temperature then the furnace shuts itself down. However, the thermostat is often located in an out-of-the-way place and and has its own mass to warm up so it takes a bit longer to warm up than the air inside the camper meaning that the felt apparent temperature overshoots making it feel a bit warmer than the set temperature. Once the furnace shuts down, the camper will begin to lose heat until the 'cut in' temperature is reached, then the whole cycle will start over.

The point is, an overly large furnace will cause this overshoot to be excessive because it is heating up the camper too quickly. The thermostat lag allows the oversized furnace to run too long. I used to borrow my Dad's Starcraft camper that bragged about a large furnace. The problem was it was too large. We always felt too hot at the end of a cycle and to cold at the end - not really comfortable.

On the other end of the spectrum is a furnace that is too small for the size of the camper and the outside temperature. In this case, the furnace may never be able to get the inside to the set temperate.

What is important is to determine is whether the manufacturer picked the right size of furnace for the camper based on size and expected outside temperatures not simply the bigger sized furnace. Since both FWC and ATC are respected manufacturers, I would expect they would.

So here are a couple of questions for experienced FWC and ATC users:

1) Has your furnace been adequate to keep your camper warm in cold conditions?

2) What is the coldest anyone has used their camper?

3) In really cold temperatures, how often and for how long does the furnace come on?

I think this would be useful information for us all. To Ramblinman, I would suggest that the size of the furnace should not necessarily be the overriding feature in your decision about manufacturer until you hear from folks that have use these units in cold conditions.

Jeez, that was quite a ramble wasn't it!

I dunno. It's fun to think about this stuff even if it is just a camper. ;) Plus, If I'd thought about it more before I bought my camper, I'd probably have a Wave 3 instead of the factory furnace.

I haven't timed the cycles, I'm afraid, and of course, they do depend on the outside temperature. I've used mine in single digits (Fahrenheit), and I think it cycled on every 20 minutes to half an hour. But, that's an estimate based on a sometimes faulty memory. That was also with the thermostat set to the lowest setting. I was comfortable in a winter weight sleeping bag, or keeping my jacket on inside. The temperature swings are very noticeable during a cycle.

I probably have the 12k unit in my older FWC, not exactly sure. It throws plenty of heat to adequately heat the space but the camper isn't designed well for cooler temperatures so it cools quickly, the furnace cycles often, and the temps swing a lot. For these reasons on paper I'm fond of the 8012 Atwood unit (this is the 1.8amp one) because the BTUs are as low as you're going to get on one of these so hopefully it doesn't over shoot as much and it's lower amp draw to limit how quick it kills the batteries when it comes on often in the cold. 3.4amps can add up quick when you're running 30min out of an hour for instance.

It's been a while since being in the cold in the camper but I want to say in 10-20F temps you're probably looking at something like 50-50 on/off to keep the temp in the 60s with the stock camper configuration. Adding reflectix to the windows and some sort of artic pack will help.

Wave heaters to supplement would likely be good for really cold temps if you're comfortable with them.

I'm building my new camper to R10 in the walls so hopefully that combined with the Atwood 8012 will make for a lot less cycling and power draw.

I have an ATC Bobcat. Factory, pretty much loaded. ATC's have basically house heater in them, so it can get very hot very fast. If you do not have the winter wrap around the soft sections, I guess it can get cold between cycles. I run mine all night long, no problem when I camp in the Sierra's when there is some snow. Its very toasty and I would not want to be without it. Again, its a camper. A long time ago Marty at ATC told me about some girls who took a camper up skiing. Well, obviously they go cold. They got the camper so hot inside he said it melted the roof fan. That's probably a stretch, but you can get them so hot that its uncomfortable inside pretty quick. Buy it and go have fun with it. I have had mine about 3 years and I use it a good amount of time. All is great. The ATC is a great camper. Thank you ATC for being such good guys.

Darryl

WhiteDog,

If you keep making interesting posts like this I will never get my chores done.

"Hang on, I just want to read this one post." :cautious:

Keep it up! Best threads going.

The Wave heaters do not cycle on and off. So.....

I have a Wave 3 that I have been using in my studio, and I really like it. It is a nice warm heat, compared to forced air heat which I can find is a "cold" heat. From the use I have done with the Wave 3 I think it is the right size for a small camper. In really cold temps (below 0*F) a Wave 6 may be better, but I think it would be too much during "warmer" times.

You can also fire up the stove top (make some tea or coffee) and that will give a big bump to the warmth inside. I have lived for a couple months (in November in northern Minnesota) with the stove top burner as my main source of real heat. Was it ideal, no. But it was surprisingly doable.

The Wave heaters do not cycle on and off.

That is a real plus of a Wave. the Wave 3 has two settings marked and designated with a detent, high and low. But the heater will still run if set somewhere other than the detent, say lower than marked low. Not sure if the Wave 6 is the same but if so you may be able to regulate it down. The W6 is rated 3200 minimum, the 3 is rated 1600. The 3 does well into the 20's in my Grandby, raises the inside temp maybe 35 degrees.

Can anyone tell me if the ATC is a Suburban Furnace or an Atwood. Sales person at FWC believes that the 12000 FWC furnace is more efficient to the point it negates the need for the ATC furnace. Does anyone wish to comment .... anyone ... bueller ... anyone?????

the 12000 FWC furnace is more efficient to the point it negates the need for the ATC furnace.

WD makes a good point above, it is not really a bigger is better situation. Correct size is better, whatever that is.

Jeez, I go and read a book for an hour and there are 11 posts!

I don't have any experience with Wave heaters but I'm going to do a bit of snooping. I've known other people who use constant output heater which I believe the Wave to be. They have the advantage of continuous heat rather than cycling on and off like furnace. Temperature is adjusted by the amount of heat the unit puts out not how often it comes on. On the other side of the argument, furnaces can bring temperatures up quickly and the fan circulates the air.

Some day, I may switch out the propane furnace for an Espar diesel heater (I don't even have the FWC yet and I'm already planning mods :eek: ).

Espar Heaters

I already have the furnace and I've used them in marine applications - quiet and efficient. This will reduce my propane requirements substantially and, in my experience up here in Canada, diesel is usually easier to find than propane. If I'm off to the boonies in cold weather I can throw in a jerry can of diesel to extend my stay. A bit complicated because of the need for fuel tank but not a real biggy. Just a dream at this point. Anyone have any experience with these furnaces? The are used on semis quite a bit.

What is the weight difference between the FWC and ATC heaters? Something to consider I guess. (shrug)

If they are both using the atwood Everest series but just different models the manufacturer does not distinguish the weight difference in the manual (ie its negligible).

Can anyone tell me if the ATC is a Suburban Furnace or an Atwood. Sales person at FWC believes that the 12000 FWC furnace is more efficient to the point it negates the need for the ATC furnace. Does anyone wish to comment .... anyone ... bueller ... anyone?????

I think you're getting into sales banter between the two about the models honestly. Both are going to throw a ton of heat quickly for the space we are heating. So to me 12K or 16K make little difference. The one 12K 8012 model is 1.8 amps but it only is front discharge and from what I can infer has a less powerful fan, but again we're heating a smaller space. It does require the furnace be installed pointing into the camper and exhaust straight out the back so it'll need to be out the side of the camper above the bedside. Not sure if ATC is still doing the furnace in the lower back corner like FWC used to do or not. I suspect either manufacturer will install either type of furnace and install it in a location you desire (otherwise that would make my choice right there about which to pick honestly, give the customer what they want). The higher amp furnaces allow side discharge and ducted discharges if you want to install in a different spot or direct heat to places.

Hi,
I have the 12K BTU in a Ranger with no Arctic Pac (FYI)
1) Has your furnace been adequate to keep your camper warm in cold conditions?
Good question. I've been down to about 10 or 5 degrees at night with my kids. I usually set the thermostat at the lowest temp (55 degrees) and it will kick on every hour or so at night, more often if it really dips. We have +10F rated REI polar pod sleeping bags and no one complains of being cold at night.

2) What is the coldest anyone has used their camper?
I think 10 or so degrees F

3) In really cold temperatures, how often and for how long does the furnace come on?
We don't use it regularly during the day, except to dry our our boots at lunch. Day temps get into the balmy 30's, nights are when you want to keep from turning into a popsicle. At night you can drain the "new" 10 lb (2.5 gallon) tanks in 2 to 3 nights.

...The 3 does well into the 20's in my Grandby, raises the inside temp maybe 35 degrees.

This may be the single most helpful piece of information I've heard about the Wave 3. I too have a Grandby, and sometimes get stuck in 20 degree weather. I will soon be ripping out by fridge and furnace and replacing with an Edgestar and Wave 3. I'm glad to hear confirmation of my suspicions.

As of November 2010 it was Atwood. I have to say, even at 10F when we turn it on the camper gets hot, quick. Remember most of these RV heaters are made for, well, Larger RV's; I have a hard time believing a heater manufacturer would target our smaller campers. For what it is worth I have been known to be wrong, so...

Roger

One last thing, for now.

What is the weight difference between the FWC and ATC heaters? Something to consider I guess. (shrug)

According to the Atwood site they both way exactly the same, 23 lbs.

This may be the single most helpful piece of information I've heard about the Wave 3. I too have a Grandby, and sometimes get stuck in 20 degree weather. I will soon be ripping out by fridge and furnace and replacing with an Edgestar and Wave 3. I'm glad to hear confirmation of my suspicions.

I have insulated where ever I can with reflectix and cover the windows with the same, held on with a few spots of velcro. My floor is also well insulated by having 2" of blue foam board under the whole thing, has been a great way to raise the FWC the needed bit. I don't use any insulation like the arctic pack, warm enough for me as is. If I were in 20 degrees consistently I might go with the Wave 6. As for placement I put a LP/BBQ hose where the old furnace connected which gives me some flex as to where I place the Wave. I could use another foot but I usually have the Wave on the floor on its legs but in the morning I sometimes move it to the countertop where it is out of the way of my dogs.

Back
Top Bottom