how do I start?

redwoodrambler

hello fellow camping freaks!
having been rambling/sleeping in the back of my truck and now want MORE...got a 2004 toyota tacoma prerunner 2WD w/locking differential...so many questions.....how much weight is safe for my 1/2 ton...what about special suspension, tires, shocks, etc....how does one person get it on and off...how do you store yours...how many models will fit me???
none of the unhelpful dealers in my area carry these, but have been able to find several types online...how to start.......
grateful for any info....RWrambler

Check your GVWR sticker to know what you're rated for. Not sure what size bed length you have but FWC: eagle, falcon and ranger (with overhang unless you have 8' bed) would fit and the ATC: bobcat. People seem to either use super springs or ride-rite air bags (I went with bags which showed up yesterday and are now pre-assembled on my bench waiting to go under the truck). If you're changing tires out a thick ply load E tire will more than handle the weight and give you sidewall thickness also. Shocks you'll need to figure out if more dampening is needed.

I just got mine and plan to leave it on the truck mostly, if I think I'll start taking it off more and need to move it I'd look into building a dolly otherwise a basic platform under it helps to support it. One person can take it on/off but you'll be running around trying to jack it up evenly and if you have a tight fit backing up under it could be a PITA, two people is much more desirable.

You came to the right place...

Plenty of knowledge here....

We know what kind of truck you have, but not how you use it or how you camp. More specifically, how you want to camp.

Also, how much $$$ are you willing to part with. And which do you have more of: money or time?

Watch the video on the FWC website. It will give you some good ideas on how these things work.

Welcome to the forum. Your truck likely has the same suspension as mine with the exception of the TRD shocks. I've added a leaf, upgraded the shocks and add air bags to get the Tacoma to handle the way I wanted. Others have used just used super springs or air bags alone with good results. I like the redundancy of the springs and air bags, if one fails I can still get home on the other. I haven't removed the camper in the 2 1/2 years we've had it but I have raised it a few times alone and it does take some time and effort.

I've raised it alone too- you have to go in small increments. Like raising one corner 2", then the next 2", then the next...around and around until it is up.

thanks for the tips...

Welcome to the forum. Your truck likely has the same suspension as mine with the exception of the TRD shocks. I've added a leaf, upgraded the shocks and add air bags to get the Tacoma to handle the way I wanted. Others have used just used super springs or air bags alone with good results. I like the redundancy of the springs and air bags, if one fails I can still get home on the other. I haven't removed the camper in the 2 1/2 years we've had it but I have raised it a few times alone and it does take some time and effort.

dear DLN...
how much weight do you recon you carry when fully loaded w/propane, water, instruments and cute outfits? What options have proven most useful over time?...am considering 3 way refrige, heater and awning.....do you need the axillary battery?
appreciately, RWrambler

thanks for the thoughts....

Plenty of knowledge here....

We know what kind of truck you have, but not how you use it or how you camp. More specifically, how you want to camp.

Also, how much $$$ are you willing to part with. And which do you have more of: money or time?

dear scott....
not much of a boondocker....like the state and county campgrounds....really like the camping/music festivals...am considering a trip across this wonderful country...like to travel/camp in spring-summer-fall when weather and roads are good...would probable leave it on the truck from spring to winter.

recently retired and finally have time...am not that mechanical so prefer to invest in good equipment and have them professionally installed/maintained.
what is it like for you?
yer campin pal...RW rambler

I've raised it alone too- you have to go in small increments. Like raising one corner 2", then the next 2", then the next...around and around until it is up.

Yeah I just pulled mine off last night to do my air springs (and some other things on the truck which I wanted the camper off for). Only took about 15min to get it off since I just needed to undo the turn buckles, jack it up 4" or so total and pull straight forward. However I left it up on the extended stands since it'll be back on in a few days. Its the major lifting/lowering that would have you running circles and backing up seems really nice to have a spotter since I only have very minimal clearance.

dear DLN...
What options have proven most useful over time?...am considering 3 way refrige, heater and awning.....do you need the axillary battery?
appreciately, RWrambler

My camper is new to me but I wanted the heater hands down (helps dry things out as well as heat things up). Fridge I could have gone either way, would have considered an engle if not. I'd go for an extended cab over bed in whatever model to move more of the bed out of the main camper. Mine came with an awning, I didn't really care either way if it had one but since it does I'm sure I'll use it. On the aux. battery I'd say if you ever plan to not have shore power hooked up to your rig with an ac/dc converter (I believe this is standard now?) then I'd suggest you get an axillary battery so you don't kill your battery and have nothing to start your truck. At a minimum if you don't go with an axillary battery I'd get the biggest dual use battery (part deep cycle/part starting) you can fit under your hood and carry one of those jump start packs. There are tons of battery options to set up but since you said you wanted it cut and dry (ie not installed by you) I didn't go into those.

Definitely the heater and aux battery. Extended bed too. Refer- meh, I didn't get it and don't miss it. Some people here wouldn't live without it though.

I'd say about 800# unloaded and around 950 to 1,000# when really loaded for a long trip. The truck has handled the loaded weight very well so far and I say so far because it hasn't been long enough to see what long term effect it will has on wheel bearings etc.

As to options, be sure to get the heater, auxiliary battery (if you drain the truck battery you're stuck), screen door, power vent fan, jacks, sliding front window, and I know I'm missing something else. Now the fridge, I'm still torn on that one, if I had it to do again I might consider an Engel instead of the 3-way Norcold. That fridge is a constant pain to keep at the right temp if the camper isn't perfectly level.

We didn't include an awning in the original package because most of our camping is in wooded areas at high elevation. We are about to add one this year in preparation for a desert trip in the fall. So if you think you're going to want one eventually might as well get it now. Best of luck.

dear scott....
not much of a boondocker....like the state and county campgrounds....really like the camping/music festivals...am considering a trip across this wonderful country...like to travel/camp in spring-summer-fall when weather and roads are good...would probable leave it on the truck from spring to winter.

recently retired and finally have time...am not that mechanical so prefer to invest in good equipment and have them professionally installed/maintained.
what is it like for you?
yer campin pal...RW rambler

RW Rambler,

We prefer to camp in older, deserted or dispersed campgrounds. Very few people but usually located in wonderful locales. It's nice to get out of the heat in summer!

I'd take a look at FWC's new dinette. Also, All Terrain Campers are a good bunch of guys to deal with. ATC's campers aren't quite as cosmetically appealing, but they are every bit as durable. ATC has some great floorplan pictures on their site.

If you are thinking you might upgrade to a larger truck if things work out, conscider the larger camper (Hawk size).

Both companies are probably feeling a bit of hurt right now and may have reduced prices...

I'd probably look at the superspring upgrade as I think that will require less maintenance than the air bags.

Back
Top Bottom