How do you remove bugs?

Advmoto18

Driving home to NC from OX-West, I encountered more than my fair share of kamakaze bugs.

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

And this was after driving through torrental rain storms in northern TX and OK on Saturday.

The local auto part stores have every kind of bug remover know to man.

However, I was curious if anyone had a easy to mix, non-toxic home brew for easy removal of the reamins?

Thanks!

When we re-fuel we use the nylon scrubber on the windshield squeegee, then a paper towell to wipe off the big pieces. After a long trip a preasure washer or hand -scrubber to finish the job. When using the preasure-washer aim at an angle sideways to prevent water entering at the front roof gasket.

Put "ProtectAll" on first and bugs don't stick as well.

Smart and Final sells "heavy duty cleaner degreaser" that is the best cleaner ever. Cheap too. I use it for everything from engines to carpets depending on dilution. For bugs like this I would wash with whatever you normally use and while the area is still wet and sudsy, spray full strength from a spray bottle and continue scrubbing. Bugs will melt off.

THE BEST thing is to spray Pam on those areas before the trip. Bugs wont stick on to begin with.

CWD

Meguiar's has a product called "Body Solvent" that comes in a 1 gallon size. Autogeek or Autodetailingsolutions.net are great places to order online. Autogeek will even ship to Canada.
It's awesome in that it sticks to vertical surfaces. Spray it on and let it dwell for 15 minutes. It is also great for tar.

If you want an environmentally friendly way. Use a wet towel. Let it sit on the surface.

I use my pressure washer. It takes about 3 passes, 5 minutes apart or elbow grease.

Drier sheet work remarkable well without scratching painted surfaces.

I used to sell detailing products online and detailing is a hobby of mine.

Those are bugs??? And I'm supposed to remove them??

I thought it was the new bug grain paint kinda like that used on the cabinets.

Sheeeshh! Now I have yet another post camping trip task. :(

Paul

Just remember most of the cleaners mentioned will also strip off any wax(including the truck roof). I always put a heavy coat of wax on, don't even buff it, before leaving.

Although very common practice, I would NEVER, EVER use a pressure on a vehicle except the undercarriage.You cannot go wrong with the wax method. Pam works very well and I just started using the Fluid Film on other things and so far like it at least as well as WD-40.

CWD

I've tried several bug removers without a lot of success... at least to my mind. They kind-of worked but required multiple applications and waiting for the remover to soften up the remnants. But even after softening them up, I still couldn't just wash them off with my car-wash brush. I no longer bother with the bug-remover.

I first wash off as many bugs as I can with my wet-and-soapy car wash brush and perhaps make a pass with the car-wash mitt. There will still be many remnants, of course. I then use a Magic Eraser foam block to attack the remnants. I've been pleasantly surprised how well that works but it's not just a swipe-and-they're-gone thing. The question, then, is whether it's safe for the finish on the vehicle.

If you read up on Magic Erasers ( at How do Magic Erasers Get Rid of Stains?, for example), you'll see a warning about using them on delicate finishes and detail on a discredited internet rumor about them having formaldehyde in them. Page 2 of the article describes how they work in detail.

I've not had problems with using them on my vehicles but will note I also subscribe to the theory that the bugs will come off better from a waxed surface. So I spray on bit of spray-wax after cleaning the bugs off in preparation for next time. Hopefully the wax does two jobs. The bugs don't stick as well and the wax protects the paint from the Magic Eraser (not to mention the scouring it gets from wind and dust as you drive).

If you have any concerns about using a Magic Eraser, you might take the advice in the clip at the end of this post. It's from a west-coast mobile detailer and recommends using a micro-fiber cloth for bug removal.

I get the Magic Eraser foam blocks at my local Walmart, either the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or the store-brand version if it's available.

I'd also mention the wonderful, wonderful Internet also has other options for us to try. If anyone has experience with them, please comment. I have no experience with them and wonder if there are downsides to them....

-- dryer toss-in: Using an old Windex-type spray bottle, put in water and drop in a dryer toss-in (Bounce, etc). Spray the bug remnants with that and use another toss-in to rub away the bug remnants. Also supposedly works on tar.

-- hydrogen peroxide: Lots of recommendations on motorcycle sites for spraying the remnants with hydrogen peroxide and watching the remnants foam up for a bit before just washing them off. Often recommended for getting off love bugs but also for bugs in general.

-OC

Bugs are one of the nasty parts of driving in the spring and summer. The bigger the truck the more bugs. Cleaning them off after a trip is a drag but the longer they sit the more baked on they become. Prevention through frequent waxing and pre-trip sprays sounds good but I rarely have the energy to do it. Washing is a necessity but the worst areas high up are hard to reach. What kind of cleaning equipment--extension brushes, hose attachments, etc.--do folks use?

Washing uses a lot of water which is frowned upon with the drought and is illegal in some places. There must be some reasonable waterless cleaning methods. Has anyone tried the RV Aircraft Boat Waterless Wash Wax Mop Kit with Bug Buster? It's expensive and I am leery of sponsored products on Amazon. If the chickens wouldn't scratch the paint I'd let them pick off the bugs!

gallery_4486_837_22144.jpg

Bigfoot said:
...If the chickens wouldn't scratch the paint I'd let them pick off the bugs!
The thick, heavy, completely-covered black layer of bugs my camper acquired here, gradually disappeared as it sat in my driveway. I assume that it was birds (though not chickens) who did the cleaning for me. :)

cwdtmmrs said:
Although very common practice, I would NEVER, EVER use a pressure on a vehicle except the undercarriage.You cannot go wrong with the wax method. Pam works very well and I just started using the Fluid Film on other things and so far like it at least as well as WD-40.

CWD
My pressure washer has multiple settings from less pressure than a garden hose to rip the paint off. If you use your intelligence, I see absolutely no issue. You don't have to hold the pressure washer an inch from the paint.
I live in an environment that is extremely dirty/gritty and there are plenty of bugs. I always use my pressure washer to get most of the contaminants that would otherwise scratch the paint off prior to giving the vehicle a hand wash... Especially in the spring and fall where the roads are a mess.

A "heavy" coat of wax does no more good than a thin coat of wax. It just becomes more difficult to remove the wax.

Has anyone made a bra for the FWC to protect the leading face of the camper?

Le bra could be like a 5-sided box that could be slipped over the camper's nose while driving. Materials could be leatherette/vinyl ext with soft felt int to not scratch the camper. Built-in side Velcro straps could be used to tighten up the fit.

If le bra was black, the level of cleaning effort after a trip could be varied...from no clean to prestine...your choice.

One of the best way to get dried bugs off is to spray with Hydrogen Peroxide and let set a few minutes. The Peroxide attacks the protein. This is an old trick for us motorcycle riders to get bugs off of our shields and not scratch them. Google and you will find BMW and other discussions on using Peroxide.

Bill,
Sounds like you have the seeds for a great add on product. Combine the functions. Reduce the bug clean up effort, reduce wind noise and improve mpg all in one product.

Le Bra Wind Deflector.
  • Keeps the bugs off your camper's nose
  • Reduces wind noise.
  • Increases your mpg.
  • Solar power option.*

But wait! There's more. :eek:
*Mount a solar panel on the wind deflector slope and pump up your boondocking experience while the bug protective bra keeps both your camper and solar panel clean and pristine and you travel in near silence..

Too much? :p Mostly kidding but I'd consider buying one. :cautious:
Paul

SB_Surf said:
Has anyone made a bra for the FWC to protect the leading face of the camper?

Le bra could be like a 5-sided box that could be slipped over the camper's nose while driving. Materials could be leatherette/vinyl ext with soft felt int to not scratch the camper. Built-in side Velcro straps could be used to tighten up the fit.
I've never seen anything like this... could be a good idea.

Seems like ease and quickness of installation and removal would be key, since, unlike a bra on a vehicle, it has to be removed and re-installed frequently.

Back
Top Bottom