How do you safely store your tail gate when it's off the truck?

Stray Dog

We have been keeping ours on a rolling table in the barn where we store the vehicle but I'm looking for a more out of the way method to safely store the gate when it's off the truck. I suspect there are come crafty ideas out there among the Wtwers....

My tailgate leans against the wall in my shop. My tailgate is roughly 75 pounds, and I rest it on a soft piece of cedar, with a piece of foam to cushion the wall. Nothing fancy.

Wrapped in a moving blanket resting on two by six blocks against the wall in the garage.

I stand my tailgate up on a carpet floor mat behind my fishing wader/boots cabinet, has been stored there for years with no issues.

A 2020 F350 aluminum tailgate doesn't seem too heavy (' haven't weighed it, though) but is still unbalanced no matter its position leaning against wall inside shed. Painter's tape used to secure loose, floppy cables to it for backup camera and power tailgate lock.

Ideal storage in the shed would have it protected in a cardboard box, but lacking anything of sufficient size I've saved a few smaller boxes with goal of eventually cutting them up and taping together a big box of sufficient size for it.

When I had a tailgate, I like the others wrapped it up and secured it against a wall in the garage. A old blanket work great but for some people may have to worry about mice using it for a home.

When I sold the truck the buyer commented how new the tailgate looked.

Since our camper is always mounted and has been since 2009 the tail gate is just stashed
out of the way in the garage nothing special.

Seems to live there forgotten just perfect.
Frank

I have a dolly that my camper sets on when it is off the truck, but when my camper is on the truck I have a canopy that comes off the truck and goes on the same dolly, along with the tail gate under the canopy.

My new truck has one of those fancy GMC multipro two-piece tailgates with a camera in it. I stored it on a table with a packing blanket over it when the camper was installed, but I was still always worried about someone setting or dropping something on it and denting it. I made a padded crate for it out of osb and plywood scraps I had around. No hinges and latches - just screws to close it and rope handles through drilled holes on the ends.

Back
Top Bottom