How Does Your Significant Other Like The Camper?

Dear about-to-be-Hitched,

Hopefully, you know enough about your bride-to-be to know if she likes camping (and how much)...and if she would like camping in a minimum facilities environment (i.e. a camper without a TV, shower, microwave oven, foldout walls, hot tub etc etc.) If you don't know the answers to these questions you better find out in advance! (take this advice from a guy who's been happily married for over 30 years). 2nd of all, my wife is in her 60's and she LOVES the camper (we have the small Eagle model) and getting up on that bed is no problem at all. Did I mention that out of that 30 years, we were camping in a tent for 25 years. So, 4-Wheel Camper was a big step up.

Good luck man.

She loves it....and I bought it without her ever being inside one.
laugh.gif

In short...this was what *I* wanted. I showed her kcwyo's trip takes and how you could take it off road...how it had a HEATER...a FRIDGE...and yes...a cozy bed (nyuk, nyuk). She's been in enough "larger" motor homes to know that "camping" in a 20' long cumbersome box nixxes most any opportunity to >really< get out in the woods and get away from it all.

Fortunately, I was right for a change..LOL. I haven't heard any complaints..that's for sure.

Well the tv and microwave are simple to add options. Doesn't the largest fwc have an inside shower? Now the hot tub, well we all have to make sacrifices.

Do most of you cook inside and eat outside? I'm assuming most of your time while camping is actually spent outside and most of the inside time is dedicated to changing and sleeping?

Thanks,
Kevo
[/quote]

Most of the guys on here cook outside but my wife and I cook inside and love it. After years of having to go through the stove set up, clean up and break down routine the built in stove is a dream come true for us plus I don't like giving up storage room for an additional stove.

Our stove is about 2'x 1'x 3". Given the amount of cr@p I'm obliged to carry as a husband it isn't much of an issue and it keeps Pam happy. I prefer outside cooking as well for a number of obvious reasons. Thank goodness she hasn't seen the microwave-popcorn or hairdryer threads.

We have the smallest FWC, an Eagle. We have the couch and a drop-down table (custom). It's easy to get past one another moving from front to door. With the bed extended (we do not have the extra overhang over the cab), two people can comfortably stand in the back (ie, to brush teeth, wash faces, etc.). It's possible for both to change clothes in this space at the same time, but it's far easier to either change in shifts or one changes on the bed and the other down below.

We do most of our cooking inside except for grilling meat over the fire or cooking fish and other smelly food on the MSR stove. In good weather we eat outside, but it is quite comfortable to eat inside. I'm usually up earlier, and in cold/damp weather I can read or work on the laptop in the back space when the bed is extended. Our work is such that we can often escape for 4 day weekends, but since we still need to get work done, we bring our laptops along and find it quite comfortable to work inside the camper for 3 or 4 hours when the outside light is too bright for LCD screens.

It makes me very happy. :D It keeps us warm in the cold, dry in rain and snow, and just generally comfortable. The bed is fine, the climb into it is okay, we generally cook inside, except for strong odor generating foods. We prefer grilling meat over a wood fire. It also beats the heck out of putting up and taking down a tent, crawling around on hands and arthritic knees. It's big enough for both of us to work and relax. .Did I mention it keeps us warm? After camping in a tent in the Anza Borrego at about 27 degrees, it was clear that our tenting days were numbered.

We first saw one at Mesquite Springs in Death Valley, and then out near some mine sites. Camping "wild" is the best. It really stimulated
our imaginations thinking about places we could go. I don't need a hair dryer, microwave, tv, shower, etc. State Parks provide hot showers
every few days, the porta-potty works just fine, as do cat holes. We DO get to go where we want, when we want.

The entrance into the camper is higher up than most. It's sometimes difficult to enter/exit, but well worth the effort. I 'm sorry we didn't
get one sooner (we've had spike/shelley for about 3 years.) BTW, we have an Eagle.

Well this weekend we went to hope valley and got hit with the first snow of the season. It was just a couple of inches overnight. My wife, who is generally a fair weather outdoors woman was out taking pictures of the dog and the camper in the snow (will post some soon). She turns to me, standing in the cold, with it snowing on her and says "well it's 100%, I love our little camper". That is about as glowing an endorsement as I can think of...our FWC turned my wife into a snow camper :)

We have been working on a remodel of the Ranger II we picked up this summer. Last night this was my wife's comment, "I'm so excited! I can't wait to use our camper! This is going to be great and so much fun!" I'm excited about the trips she's planning.

Do most of you cook inside and eat outside? I'm assuming most of your time while camping is actually spent outside and most of the inside time is dedicated to changing and sleeping?

Thanks,
Kevo

We tend to eat a lot of stuff like pasta and such so we cook inside most of the time but I carry a cast iron skillet to cook stuff like bacon and what not over a fire.

My wife loves the FWC. After getting rid of our last one a few years ago and regretting every minute of it, she is the one who actually pushed me over the edge to buy another. It's funny when she talks about the places we go sometimes w/ her friends who weekend in the 50' monster megalith motor haulers and they just can't believe it. They're extra shocked when they find out that we're "dry" camping!??! My wife just looks at them funny.

'Round here we just call it "camping." :)

My wife looked at the camper at the Riverside show room with me. Liked The Eagle before we got it. After the fisrt trip loved the camper. We have spent two weeks at a time in the camper without fights.

Back
Top Bottom