how hard to add cabinetry to an older FWC?

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
I've got an 80s Keystone 9' camper on my f250 shortbed. I'm looking for a shorter FWC to match my truck better. I see quite a few "shell model" campers for reasonable price, but I really like the stove, sink and heater in my Keystone. Would it be possible to pull the cabinetry out of my Keystone and re install it in a newer shell model? How difficult is is to cut exterior doors and vents for the heater, the propane tank, the water inlet, etc?

Also, it seems most of the newer models are about 51" between the tailgate. My truck is about 60" between the tailgate, and my Keystone is about 59" - just enough room to squeeze in. This gives me quite abit of room inside, but makes me wonder if a narrower camper will be a touch fit for the Keystone cabinetry.

Any ideas or input is appreciated!

I've got an 80s Keystone 9' camper on my f250 shortbed. I'm looking for a shorter FWC to match my truck better. I see quite a few "shell model" campers for reasonable price, but I really like the stove, sink and heater in my Keystone. Would it be possible to pull the cabinetry out of my Keystone and re install it in a newer shell model? How difficult is is to cut exterior doors and vents for the heater, the propane tank, the water inlet, etc?

Also, it seems most of the newer models are about 51" between the tailgate. My truck is about 60" between the tailgate, and my Keystone is about 59" - just enough room to squeeze in. This gives me quite abit of room inside, but makes me wonder if a narrower camper will be a touch fit for the Keystone cabinetry.

Any ideas or input is appreciated!

If you are handy with woodworking a re model would not be that much of a problem.I think,IMO the cabinets have the same counter top width it's the length that is different depending on model.So you would have to cut up your Keystone cabinets to fit the length of a shorter shell model.It might not be worth it time and money to gut the Keystone.Just start with a shell and built what you want.
Now if you lived close to Castroville I could help you.Frank

I think it would be pretty hard to take old cabinets and put them in a newer camper.

Re-framing and re-welding would be tough for most people.

:(

I think it would be pretty hard to take old cabinets and put them in a newer camper.

Re-framing and re-welding would be tough for most people.

:(

How does a shell work ,when adding cabinets .I thought it was just the matter of finding the aluminum studs to bolt my cabinets to like a house.Just in the process of ordering a shell.Now I be a wee bit scared .I have rebuilt and redesigned stick campers with no problem.I am old so maybe I be missin the point.
According to the Wife ,I do that :)

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the input guys. I'm rather lazy, I was hoping for a quick unbolt, maybe minimal modification, and rebolt into a different camper. Thanks to Stan for your opinion. I think I'll try to hold out for a camper that's got the sink, counter and heater already installed.

Back
Top Bottom