How hard to take camper off?

DonC

Sorry if this has been covered but I'm not finding a lot using search. I'm looking to get a FWC Fleet (on a Tacoma) but need to take it off once a month or so. I've got a good place to store it but was wondering how hard it is to remove and how long it takes. How long does it take to put back on? Any tricks and any particular process or equipment make this easier?

I use the hand cranks on the jacks, not the fancy drill bit adapters. Loading the camper carefully and slowly by myself takes probably 40 minutes. And I'm very meticulous about getting it square in the bed so YMMV. Unloading is quite a bit faster. Limited only by how quickly you can crank the jacks. If you decide to remove the jacks from the camper, like many of us do, you'd factor that in too - replacing the bolts and jacks. All in all, not a particularly time consuming job if you're only doing it once a month. I wouldnt want to do it every day, but it's not really a big deal.

I don't have any tips or tricks as its a pretty straightforward process honestly. Having an extra set of hands is nice, but if you're strict about how it's done, like me, she will tell you to F off and you'll be doing it solo anyways :D

I use the hand cranks on the jacks, not the fancy drill bit adapters.

Those drill bit adapters are pretty simple and cheap. You must be a glutton for punishment :D

Took mine off today. It is easy enough that I now keep the camper off when I know I will not use for a while and put it on for the next trip. I use the adapter and a cordless drill moves the jacks quick. I store on a dolly and the jacks. Yes I do take the jacks off when it goes on the truck.

Bill

In my experience it takes me about 45 minutes to attach the jacks, raise the camper, and lower it on to supports. Leaving the jacks on your camper full time would cut that time in half but I don't recommend leaving them on.

Those drill bit adapters are pretty simple and cheap. You must be a glutton for punishment :D

Hell I don't think they even sell them in Canada! One day maybe. One day.

she will tell you to F off and you'll be doing it solo anyways :D

:LOL: :LOL:

I use cordless 18v impact driver to speed the jack nut&bolt assembly. Raising and lowering the FWC with a 1/2" beefy Milwalkee drill motor and adapter is the quickest way for me. I can off load in 20 mins, but take more time double checking turn-buckles and alignment installing.

Is the drill bit adapter something that is unique to FWC or can we pick them up at an RV or Hardware store? Does anyone have a photo of the adapter handy?

Is the drill bit adapter something that is unique to FWC or can we pick them up at an RV or Hardware store? Does anyone have a photo of the adapter handy?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 141
The adapters are easy to make if you can't find one to purchase. 1/4" drive deep well socket -large enough to fit around the post- cut slots in the edge with a grinder or dremel tool, get a get driver for your drill with a 1/4" socket adapter and off you go.

The adapters are easy to make if you can't find one to purchase. 1/4" drive deep well socket -large enough to fit around the post- cut slots in the edge with a grinder or dremel tool, get a get driver for your drill with a 1/4" socket adapter and off you go.

That's a great idea. The Reico adapters are $30+ dollars!

Back
Top Bottom