How hot is it?

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
So hot the camper trim is melting off the truck. We live a little east of Sacramento. Has been about 108 the last five days. Gave up and headed to the coast. On the road the black plastic piece that goes around the camper over the screw heads got so hot it fell out of the track. It was as soft as overcooked noodles. Now on the coast and it is 52 degrees. Plastic is stiff again and back in place.

Ted, the black trim on my camper popped out while crossing NE on a hot day and high crosswinds, it happen twice. On my next visit to FWC they added two screws on the front about 18 inches from the side, no problems since. I thought it was just because of the strong crosswinds, but the heat may have been a factor also.

When it's that hot, you just need to get away. Thank goodness our campers allow for just that.

We're sitting at 7,500' for a two night getaway. Enjoying an evening at 72 degrees, instead of 85 to 90 at home. Plus, swimming in alpine lakes. It just doesn't get any better. Tip a Pliney for me.

Heat here in Monterey isn't the issue but with the fire and our nice fog this morning woke up to lots of smoke in the fog.
The wind hasn't picked up as of yet so nothing to move some of the smoke.
We live northeasterly about 20 miles from the fire.
No fore threat but the smoke is getting thicker.
We didn't even go for our morning walk.
Hopefully the wind will pick up soon and move some of the smoke away.
Temps are great though.
No Pliney though,just some good wine.
Frank

The worst of all worlds here in the Eastern Sierra/Western Great Basin/North West Plateau Interface: broke 100 (real hot for here) and had the hottest night of the year, smoke from all the fires sitting here in our valley, Pyramid Lake area on fire and that goes well with all the wind and red flag warnings. Yep talked to an old army buddy in Santa Cruz the other day-all he could complain about was the cold and how he wished it would warm up :p ! Me I want to be on the coast ;) !

Yesterday afternoon, Susanville almost burned up(again) : a fire started at the top of the hill coming into town near the break check area and all the fire agencies hit it with everything they had-tankers flying over my house (first time I saw that new red and white CDF jet tanker), choppers, fire trucks and sirens from every direction. Lot's of fire related traffic on my road heading to the fire-local radio broadcasting fire alerts. Managed to get it under control before dark-thanks guys! Yep me thinks we are in for an interesting summer and fall! Hear more sirens heading down the highway!

Smoke

It was "only" 100 on Friday, but with the humidity the heat index was just under 120. We seized the high ground (the family vacation home outside of Blowing Rock, NC), and the non-air conditioned house was very comfortable due to its 4,000' elevation. Morning temps in the 60s and sleeping under a comforter.

Foy

Hot here in TX too... my truck said 106 but my Kestrel only said 102 ;) Ditto what BrianG said about the screws. I had same issue a couple weeks ago. I don't have a dealer any longer here in TX so I called FWC. They stated it was an issue and to just add 3 more screws and washers. He suggested under each marker light for location. I did and so far so good.. he mentioned they are now adding additional screws on the build of new ones.

Plenty hot here. I thought I might get away for an overnighter. Nope. Forty five minutes before the end of my shift I was informed my two days off were now one day. Unlikely to change any time soon either. At least the heat wave seems to have broken.

BrianG, thanks for the info. I will add a couple of screws because triple digit days typically last through September here.

Alas, no Pliny run. Santa Rosa isn't quite on our route to the coast, though it isn't far out of the way. Unlike me, however, Mrs. Ted can't stand beer. Several years ago she agreed once to the side trip, but I have not convinced her to make a return trip since. Of course, I also want to stop at the farmers market for duck eggs and a few wineries while we are at it. If she agreed to all of my stops, our trips would take a lot longer.

Yesterday morning we woke up to 31 degrees on the outside temperature readout. We still had the windows open. It was very pleasant. Lighthawk is right.

Back
Top Bottom