How much weight can the roof handle with Yakima towers, 2 bike trays and a Skybox ?

LTZ

Advanced Member
Hello,

I just attached my old school Yakima towers to the roof of my Eagle. I used the Yakima Bolt Top Loader which is a metal plate with 2 carriage bolts per plate. I used the 2 existing screw holes that attached the roof to the frame as a guide. I drilled all 8 holes with a 5/16" metal drill bit without any mistakes!! The frame is 1" wide and 1 1/2" deep. I purchased 8 galvanized carriage bolts to make up for the shorter bolts supplied. I didn`t trust the washers that came with the package so, I used 1"x 1/8" x 9" steel inside the camper. One would think that is probably over kill but I wanted to spread out the load along the frame. Okay, I have a 15lb road bike, a 26lb mtn bike and the Skybox is approximately 38lbs empty........Is this too much weight for traveling down the highway at 65mph? Or, am I a knucklehead for trying???? Please chime in, all opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

I've got a Yak box with at least 2 pair of skis at any given time, a bike tray with the occasional 24ish lb rigid singlespeed, and 25 or so pounds of 1/8" wall aluminum rectangle stock tubing (which I built the rack out of) plus various nuts, bolts, extension cords, etc., and whatever else I've got randomly kicking around in the rocket box.

So as long as the stuff is securely attached it will be fine. The challenge is lifting the roof into place, and not smashing yourself in the head trying to let it down.

4WC says their roofs will hold 1K lb. evenly distributed, but unfortunately I don't have enough skis and bikes to test their theory.

I find the concern here is raising and lowering the top.With my roof lifters I don't have a problem with the top and the 80+ pounds I carry.See my thread about the roof lifter lever it would help with a load even when you have the roof lifter thingies .

Frank

4WC says their roofs will hold 1K lb. evenly distributed, but unfortunately I don't have enough skis and bikes to test their theory.

Just remember that there is a difference between a "static" load while parked, and a "dynamic" load while driving.

I have the yakima tracks (I attached them using the existing screw pattern for the roof skin-to-frame screws; #8 3/4" truss head I believe ).

I've done many (several thousands) miles with 2 whitewater kayaks on the roof, kayak and bikes, kayak and roof box, etc. My last trip i would have put bike, kayak and box (prolly 150lbs easy...) on the roof without a second thought, but its the lifting issue. The racks are solid.

having said all that, i'm constantly looking for ways to get stuff OFF my roof, it just makes it a pain to lift, its on the high side getting stuff up to the roof, etc. I have the air lifters... with nothing on the roof it lifts itself, a few items on the roof, i'm heavy lifting. :-(

yeah, I think a CBI front hitch is in my future. A thule T2 bike rack (possibly adapted to carry a kayak as well... that would be bliss!).

Rob

Back
Top Bottom