how to remove mirror?

I don't need the mirror that is mounted on the back lift panel on my Grandby. It looks like it can be pried off, but I don't want to damage the surface underneath it. Any suggestions for how to remove it?

Thanks.

My mirror is a bit warped which gives it somewhat of a funhouse mirror effect. This makes me suspect that it may be plastic. Does anyone know for certain whether it is plastic or glass?

4llamas said:
The mirror in my 09 Hawk is plastic. It's held on with double stick tape and I remove it by driving down dirt roads. :(
You made me laugh. I hate when that happens.

Use some fishing line, run it behind the mirror, move it back and forth like a saw, and it should cut through whatever adhesive that was used.

Riverrunner said:
Use some fishing line, run it behind the mirror, move it back and forth like a saw, and it should cut through whatever adhesive that was used.
Works on late model truck emblems too!

I finally got the mirror off the lift panel. I mustered the courage to pull it off with some force. The funhouse effect disappeared once the mirror was off - the lift panel must have caused it to flex when it was attached. It was attached with two long adhesive strips and four HUGE globs of some sort of adhesive putty. Removing the putty from the panel was labor intensive. I scraped off as much as I could with a knife, then scrubbed off as much as I could with kitchen scrub pads. I removed the remaining putty with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. It took a couple of hours. Cleaned up very nice. You can't even tell anything was there. Now I don't have to look at myself every time I stand up.

Back
Top Bottom