how to set up a easy connect/disconnect to charge the battery

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
I need some ideas about setting up a quick disconnect to re-charge the camper battery. I have a standard cheapo battery charger with big alligator clips. I don't want to cut off the alligator clips (I use this charger for other vehicles). I want to be able to hook up the battery charger without opening up the battery box. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I need some ideas about setting up a quick disconnect to re-charge the camper battery. I have a standard cheapo battery charger with big alligator clips. I don't want to cut off the alligator clips (I use this charger for other vehicles). I want to be able to hook up the battery charger without opening up the battery box. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cut off the alligator clips. :eek:

Save them, and go get a set of 12V connectors. Put the plug on the charger and the receptacle on the alligator clips you saved. Now you can charge your what-have-yous either through their 12 receptacles, or you can use the alligator clips to charge.

The bonus is that you can power your other what-have-yous from a divorced 12V battery using your knew fancy dance-y alligator clip to receptacle adapter. :cool:

The Battery Tender uses a combination of 2 pole connectors as seen in the pic.

battery_tender_plus.jpg

You can make a wire set that is always attached to the battery and another set with the alligator clip leads.
One side of the connector is permanently attached to the charger.

Connectors can be found at various places like Ace, Napa and Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Pico-1878pt-2way-Trailer-Conn/dp/B001QWZTZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1327334873&sr=1-1

This is what I use on my dual sport and ATV.

Mark - what is a "set of 12v connectors"? Is it like the 2 pole connectors Desert refers to? I've considered this type of set up, but wanted to see what others have used. I was concerned you might lose some charging power by going to the small 2 pole connectors.

Thanks.

Cut the clips off leaving 8"-12" of wire with the clips and put something like this on the cable and on the end of the cut-off clips:
http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/37140/MOLDED%20CONNECTOR%20GXL%20WIRE/
Then put another mating connector on the battery. Just note that the particular item linked is only 16 ga. wire and is probably too small. The same type of connector is offered with either 10 or 12 ga. wire which would be more appropriate.

Mark - what is a "set of 12v connectors"? Is it like the 2 pole connectors Desert refers to? I've considered this type of set up, but wanted to see what others have used. I was concerned you might lose some charging power by going to the small 2 pole connectors.

Thanks.

You can get 'anderson' style connecotrs in ratings and sizes from a couple amps to 500 amps. Just get a bunch of the size you like and use them for everything!

single-pole-connector-anderson-style-power-pole-connector-solar-charger-connector-cable-assembly.jpg

I have all sorts of stuff setup with 50 amp plugs, very handy.

Well, y'know...

All my 12V accesories already came with this kind of plug...

12VPK-CMYK-99.jpg

...so I took the path of "least resistance" and went with the plain ol' Marinco's. There's a West Marine right down the road, so that was pretty easy, too.

I like swap-ability...

Whenever we're able to hook up to "shore power" I plug my charger into any one of several unused 12V receptacles scattered throughout the camper to use as an AC-DC converter...

Cut the clips off leaving 8"-12" of wire with the clips and put something like this on the cable and on the end of the cut-off clips:
http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/37140/MOLDED%20CONNECTOR%20GXL%20WIRE/
Then put another mating connector on the battery. Just note that the particular item linked is only 16 ga. wire and is probably too small. The same type of connector is offered with either 10 or 12 ga. wire which would be more appropriate.

Check the one in my post above. It is 10AWG.

I don't know how much this will help. but before I put on the solar panels and solved that problem (I hope), I had a brief case sized portable solar panel, that I would plug into the connector inside the FWC once I had set up camp. It really is the size of a brief case and I carried behind the couch in the camper, just open it up and turn it toward the sun and it would do it's thing. It came with a set of plug-ins like some of the ones that have be pictured above, various connectors,alligator clips, extension cords etc, not sure how much power it really added, but it kept the charger light on yellow/green and it seemed to be charging it. I think it was made by Sunsei, but if someone is interested, i can run out to the truck through the snow and check :p!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom