how to "winterize" but use regularly

DonC

I just moved from southern Calif to Bishop. In so Cal I never had to worry about winterizing. Now that I am in Bishop where temps can dip into the teens, how do I winterize, yet have it available for weekend trips to Death Valley and other desert locations?

I have a 2012 Fleet with factory water system and electric pump.

Seems that most winterizing threads I read are for storage for during of winter, and I use mine regularly during the winter.

I am in the same boat - freezes here in CO, but we still get out all winter. If you don't have a shower it is as easy as draining the hot water heater back into the water tank, then drain the water tank and run the pump dry. To be really sure you can pull the filter cup on the input to the pump and run the pump with that removed.

We have an outside shower, that we don't sue during the winter - so added shutoff valves to the pex lines that run to that. In the autumn I blow out the shower lines (using our on board compressor hooked up to the city water input) then shut off the shower lines for the winter.

thanks Rando, my configuration is even simpler. Just the water tank and electric pump. No hot water or shower. So sounds like I just make sure everything is drained well. It does not get brutal cold here, usually 20's and 30's at night, a few days into teens. And almost always back to the 40's or 50's during the day.

Or as someone suggested keep water in your system and simply add a few quarts of cheap vodka or other clear booze with a high alcohol % and then boil off the alcohol before use....or spike your coffee with it in the morning! :D

Phil

The only thing you would really need to worry about is the pump then. You could combine our suggestions above, and just pour a couple shots of vodka in the pump filter cup then blip the pump for a second so that just the pump is full of vodka. Even cheap vodka is not as cheap as it used to be.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I appreciate the creative options...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Attached is a picture of my plumbing - is the part to the right of the pump the filter? How do I "pull it" and put vodka in the filter cup? I'm pretty clueless here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Also attached is a picture of my drain spigot. First time I every tried to turn it, and it was so fragile from UV the handle just shattered. I can't open or close. I assume I can get a new one from factory.[/SIZE]

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2228.jpg

If you need to drain your system before you can get a new drain valve, you can turn what is left of it with some pliers. Or even pop the central part that turn up and out of the body of the valve.

rando - yes, my picture is oriented correctly. So the filter is upside down? Interesting.

I have a similar problem/issue w/ my older Eagle. The spigout on the outside of the camper has a water tube that runs along the underside of the camper so it'll freeze in colder temps. I've thought about putting a "pool noodle" over it as insulation. Right now, we just drain everything and end up carrying water jugs (which is kind of silly with a giant water jug built in) but we don't want to risk freezing the lines, etc.

Kmcintyre,
We hauled jugs last winter as well. Still trying to get as comfortable with using the water system. I added a shut off inside as well where it’s warmer I don’t have potential freeze site at that cheap drain cock on the outside.

DonC said:
rando - yes, my picture is oriented correctly. So the filter is upside down? Interesting.
I don't think mounting it upside down has any impact on the filter function - but it makes it impossible to remove the filter/cup without dumping water in your cabinet. I think the fittings are swivels, so you can probably just loosen them and rotate it 180 degrees.

this is what I got from FWC today. I have never touched this stuff so the factory installed it upside down.

"Your filter is definitely on upside down for some reason. It can be loosened and rotated downward to fix that part. To winterize, remove the sink drain cap on the outside, turn on water pump and then turn on faucet until no more water is coming out, just air. Open the rear drain valve that is on the outside of your camper by the door. This will get the remainder of the water out of the holding tank. Disconnect the lines from the water pump and then turn the water pump on for a second to make sure all of the water is out. Reconnect the lines. This is the easiest and fastest way to get the system clear of any water. We have heard of people using Rum or Vodka to sanitize the tank after is has been stored for a while. Some people don’t like the idea of running small amounts of bleach through the system."

Back
Top Bottom