How to you clean the exterior of your camper

kmcintyre

Ok, my Eagle is about 15 years old. I've tried to wash the exterior with the soap brush, etc. at the DIY car wash but it still looks a bit "old".

What do you use or how do you clean the exterior of your camper?

I don't want to repaint it. I just want to try and get it clean. It seems like the texture on the siding just holds the dirt and grim. It may be that it's as clean as you can get a 15 yo camper.

Thanks!

I just wash mine with a long handled car/rv wash brush. Bad spots can be scrubbed with a stiff wheel brush or a bug sponge. Dawn is great for cleaning. If not super filthy a car wash soap like "armorall car wash" can add a bit of shine back. I'd like to find a good spray on protectant for the "paint". There is just to many parts and dissimilar materials to make waxing like a car much fun.

About twice a year after washing I spray the vinyl with 303 protectant.

Mine is only 4 years old. but gets parked under trees sometimes. That can make cleaning a chore.

Squatch said:
I just wash mine with a long handled car/rv wash brush. Bad spots can be scrubbed with a stiff wheel brush or a bug sponge. Dawn is great for cleaning. If not super filthy a car wash soap like "armorall car wash" can add a bit of shine back. I'd like to find a good spray on protectant for the "paint". There is just to many parts and dissimilar materials to make waxing like a car much fun.

About twice a year after washing I spray the vinyl with 303 protectant.

Mine is only 4 years old. but gets parked under trees sometimes. That can make cleaning a chore.
I use the 303 all the time so the vinyl is in great shape (replaced it a few years ago)... I thought about waxing but that would be difficult as you stated.

I have waxed mine. Using a spray type wax,like a "finisher". Just spray it on wipe it off.
Also a wipe of 303 after the camping is finished for the year also works.
Using dish Dawn does works great.
Frank

I wax mine at least once a year, more if taking extended trips. It's really not that difficult. Mr. Mcintyre, why don't you take a small area of the camper skin and apply medium (white) rubbing compound, followed by a good coat of wax. If that does not make the area look great, you haven't lost anything. I'm betting that it will look so good, that you will curse me, as now you will have to do the whole camper. :)

F150_Black3.jpg
DSC_00112.jpg

Here is a sample of what I can do with paint.
I used to own an online store that sold detailing products (until 3M tried to sue me... long story).

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?44569-Black-F150#O26fBRb1LWiMxXHQ.97

Likely, your camper looking old due to oxidation and above surface contaminants. Making it look new again, would be no different than restoring the paint on a vehicle.

First I would wash the camper as best possible. Use Sunlight soap, or use engine degreaser if you want to save some labor.

I would then use detail clay to remove above surface bonded contaminates like sap, road tar etc. Your paint will fill smooth like a babies bottom/glass if the surface is truly clean. Do the smooth surfaces like the roof first to get an idea about how much work is involved. It's not that bad, kind of like waxing a vehicle.

I would then suggest Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Essentially you are removing a miniscual amount of paint with this process. Don't worry, you could do this a million times if working by hand and never remove the paint totally.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17216-ultimate-compound/#DDiP1TTPdvlFMq4X.97
It a very easy product to work by hand or with a power polisher.
I've tried lots of products and Ultimate Compound is by far my favourite for many reasons, especially if working by hand. All you need is a small sponge like the ones that come with a can of wax.

After polishing, wash the camper again and then wax it.

Basically plan on spending an entire day working hard. Your cost will be no more than $50 total.
$20 Meguiars Ultimate Compound
$5 sponge
$15 Degreaser
$10 wax

Best of luck. Don't feel overwhelmed it is a very simple process and you can't hurt anything.

Protectall is what was recommended to me by Stan, been applying two coats a year since 2007, my old 2003 is still looking pretty good.

Great ideas and suggestions! Thanks. I guess I need to get some supplies and see what I can do.

I use a soft bristled brush originally meant for household dishes. Dawn soap, brush and a lot of elbow grease normally gets the camper looking good. Some types of dirt can really stick to the camper and leave faint outlines that need to be scrubbed off.

Back
Top Bottom