How to you secure your FWC?

cdbrow1

Greetings all. I have my FWC Hawk on order. I am have been thinking about security. I plan to boondock occasionally, but will spend a fair amount of time in State Park, USFS, NPS and BLM camgrounds. I plan to leave the camper unattended in campgrounds and at various trailheads when I am out hiking. Obviously a shiny new Hawk is a tempting target and I wonder what everybody else does to have piece of mind.

I just lock and deadbolt the door and hope for the best.
It would be pretty hard to steal the camper itself...so just have to think about what valuables are inside. I tend to keep (and hide) most-valuable stuff -- like laptop and lenses -- in the truck cab, 'cause the construction is heavier-duty than the camper.

No guarantees, but I don't worry much about it.

My small valuables I have a safe for. Face it, if they want in they'll get in. Try not to leave much in plain sight.

yep - good insurance and keep it tucked away. If they want to steal things, smashing windows and lifting tires happens all the time at trailheads. Sometimes being careful about what type of stickers you have on your rig can make a difference. A friend who is an ardent and loud environmentalist type with lot's of bumper stickers had his tires slashed a few times at trailheads. A new vehicle and no stickers has not been touched. Maybe not conclusive, but food for thought.

These security system stickers work well.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 156
Look up tuffy lock boxes. Solid product. They did not make a model specifically for my dakota so I measured and found one that could fit with little modification.

Also I have a hidden kill switch that disconnects the brake sensor switch from the shifting computer. This prevents the truck from being taken out of park and put into gear by fooling the computer that the brake is not being applied. Simple but effective.

The truck cab is less secure than the camper for anything less than a smash and grab. I work at a ski resort and deal with several lock outs every week. Without any causing any damage I can get into a car in under a minute. And a thief can do it faster than me.

My motto is out of sight out of mind.

Kolockum said:
The truck cab is less secure than the camper for anything less than a smash and grab. I work at a ski resort and deal with several lock outs every week. Without any causing any damage I can get into a car in under a minute. And a thief can do it faster than me....
That makes sense -- can't use a slim jim on the camper door.

For those of us with cabinets in our campers, a hidden panel or false bottom works quite well. I have been thinking about installing expanded metal on the inside of the door window to prevent someone smashing the glass an reaching through to the door locks. I did this years ago on my trucks camper shell for when we would be out of sight of the truck for hours when we were surfing. They got into the truck once, but the camper remained secure.

If someone wants to get in they will, so not leaving things out in plain site and temping the bad guys is the best thing to do. I agree with those that leave valuables in the camper as opposed to the truck cab, it seems to makes sense that the double lock/deadbolt combination and not being able to really see what's inside of the camper might reduce temptation for some. I really agree with not having any bumper stickers that might incite unwanted attention to your rig.

smoke

Beach said:
For those of us with cabinets in our campers, a hidden panel or false bottom works quite well. I have been thinking about installing expanded metal on the inside of the door window to prevent someone smashing the glass an reaching through to the door locks. I did this years ago on my trucks camper shell for when we would be out of sight of the truck for hours when we were surfing. They got into the truck once, but the camper remained secure.

I have thought of the expanding numerous times. Not necessarily to stop someone from climbing in, but to stop them from being able to reach in and unlock the door. Even if it was only on the door window, that would be an improvement. Although, I wouldn't want to feel like I am in prison while out and about...

I wouldn't worry about the door window being broken and the lock opened from the inside because you can get into these campers in about 30 seconds without breaking anything. I remedied this with 2 thru bolts.
Cheers

[SIZE=10.5pt]Another thing to remember is keeping them out is only half the battle. The other half is making the exit to difficulty to be worth taking anything. This applies to houses and our campers. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Double sided dead bolt prevents them from opening the camper door which means they have to crawl through the broken window to get to my gear inside. I also sized my bags to be bigger than the rear window. Granted if you have a side window it makes the door lock irrelevant. [/SIZE]

Captm,

I'm wondering how you mean that a burgler can "get into these campers in less than 30 seconds without breaking anything" and your 2 thru-bolts solution. I don't know what "via PM" means, but would love to know what you are talking about.

Thanks...

- Bernard

bfh4n said:
Captm,
.... I don't know what "via PM" means, but would love to know what you are talking about.

Thanks... - Bernard
"PM" means "private [or personal] message". Click on Captm's avatar/picture and it will take you to his Profile Then click on the "Send me a message" button to ask him a question.

Thanks for all the good ideas on this thread.

The comment about bumper stickers is one I have some experience with. I had many friends in College who had their cars vandalized at trailheads and elsewhere. Each one had some sort of political sticker on the car (left or right - does not matter). I have never had a problem and my vehicles are clear of all stickers. I have had several logoed work vehicles (government) vandalized over the years, including as brand new 4x4 that just had it's tires slashed last month (by the way this is counterproductive since the taxpayers just pay for new tires - doesn't cost me anything other than a morning off).

I do plan to put a small (pistol sized) safe in camper which I hope to bolt down out of sight. I like the idea about having large bags that would need to be unloaded before getting out the window.

Has anybody used any sort of motion lights or alarm for the camper itself?

Back
Top Bottom