How wet is southern UT-spring 2023?

Bosque Bill

I'm thinking of SE UT early May and know some of the areas got much higher amounts of snow than usual this winter. I also know there are lots of roads with clay that are impassible when wet. Anyone have any current info?

Thanks

I can't answer your question directly, but we were recently in central Nevada. There was some big snow melts that caused streams to block roads in several places. Maybe that's subsided by now -- we were there a bit over a week ago.

Bill we were in the Utah high country last week, there was a significant amount of snow. The spurs off paved highways were all blocked. I’d try calling the national forest offices.

I think this is something you need to check locally about. The roads can be dry within a few days after the last storm, but on the other hand, we have driven in on dry roads and had a thunderstorm suddenly roll over and had to drive back out in slippery clay. Tires make all the difference. Being able to stay for a few days until things dry out is a good idea.

Thanks all for your replies. For some reason the forum didn't notify me that anyone had done so.

Heard from a friend who just got back from San Juan County and he reports the roads are dry with very little running water in the deepest draws.

Many of the fire roads are dry this week. But don't be fooled. They aren't above 6500 ft. They still have tons of snow and they won't be dry the warmer it gets. And the fire roads beneath them will not be dry either. It's not just the rain you have to watch out for on the dirt roads through the drainage narrows--it's the unseasonably warm weather. I would be particularly careful in Southern Utah this year. Northern Utah now diverts most of the mountain snow, but So. Utah Spring weather can be dangerous even in years without blowout snow records. If you get stuck, call Matt's Off-road recovery. His Youtube channel is quite entertaining.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom