How would mis-matched gas-powered struts work?

menoco

Advanced Member
I overdid it on up-grading my power struts. I got older, and it got way harder to lift camper roof. My wife who is 5’ could no longer lift roof.
3 years ago I added 40 lbs gas struts all around. Now, the rear of the roof was particularly hard to lift. So, after reading all the threads on gas-powered struts, I decided to replace the 2 rear 40 lbs struts, with 2 80 lbs struts.
Now roof goes up with a flick, but bringing it down takes muscle. Kind of a chin-up.
When I removed the old 40 lbs struts, one of them was flat. It would not extend without pushing. It had been resisting the roof going up.
I thought I was doubling the push, from 80 lbs of force to 160 lbs. Turns out I was at least quadrupling the added lift.
I can live with this. My wife says she prefers it this way. She raises; I lower.
I was thinking about a mechanically-challenged solution: switch one of the rear 80 lbs struts with a 40 lbs one from front?
Would be off-balance, but seems that would just mean when lifting you push on side with the 40 lbs strut.
My fear, however, is that side with 80 would stay up. Not bad to pull down on rear, but harder pulling down front. Have pretty well talked myself out of this, but always get good ideas from WTW.
Thanks.

2016_04_22-IPhone4-AM Pulling Down FWC.jpg

Think that might cause some strange stress on the lift panels... that is not a good thing to have to repair ...

I can say with over 40 years working and selling door hardware for aluminum commercial doors, you will eventually strip out screws, rivets and other anchor points from side stress exerted when compressing the struts. And with uneven strut pressures, I can also see flexing and bending of aluminum framing over time. They are called lift assists, not lift mechanisms,. There are a bunch of new stresses added into the equation, most at all the fasteners and joints. You may never see the problem, the next owner will. :oops:

I can appreciate where the heavier assist struts help one way, but they do damage the other (in material fatigue) .

Try closing the door/windows and turning the fan on high than pull the roof down.Makes it easier and makes sure the liner gets all tucked in.
I have #40 on my ATC Bobcat and the rear goes up with a bit of a push but the front raises almost by itself.
I sometimes carry a canoe on the roof and the struts sure help raise the roof.
To lower I just run the fan for the front and the rear comes down with no problem.
Just don't hurt yourself.It's a bummer if you are out camping and hurt your back.
Frank

I’m persuaded by DSD277’s comments about stress on screws and mounting brackets. I have removed the 80 lbs struts and will switch for 60 lbs. Don’t think simply replacing 40 lbs one would be enough; for example, still a little tough to raise the front with existing 40 lbs struts. With luck, 60 lbs struts will be the sweet spot.
BobM, I had previously watched and learned from your video. As a result a month ago, I bought the speaker stand crank. Unlike you, however, I’ve chosen to have it as a backup. Don’t have your nifty power drill to raise roof. so it’s a little too much hassle and slow to hand crank every time. Very good to have it as a option.
I was hesitant to post b/c I didn't want the usual responses on the long threads about struts saying how easy it is for them to lift roof with boat, bikes and panels. Folks don't seem to accept that it can be hard for others. To them I say, don’t get old or infirm.
No one here said that. Thanks.

I also have the speaker stand and a small drill but prefer to use it as backup as well. I upgraded my struts from the 30# that came with the camper to 40# and I do have to pull the front down when there is nothing on the roof rack but I often carry a rod vault for my fly rods and then it's just about right. Unfortunately I failed to take your advice to not get old and infirm, but it's way better than not getting old at all. ;) When I was young I never wanted to get old, now that I'm old I just want to get older. :)

Stalking Light said:
I also have the speaker stand and a small drill but prefer to use it as backup as well. I upgraded my struts from the 30# that came with the camper to 40# and I do have to pull the front down when there is nothing on the roof rack but I often carry a rod vault for my fly rods and then it's just about right. Unfortunately I failed to take your advice to not get old and infirm, but it's way better than not getting old at all. ;) When I was young I never wanted to get old, now that I'm old I just want to get older. :)
Wish I'd have said that: "When I was young I never wanted to get old, now that I'm old I just want to get older. :)"

When I was young and in my prime, I used to do it all the time. Now that I'm old and gray I can only do it three times a day:>)​

Or... Your roaring days are over, your pilot light is out. What used to be your sex appeal is now your water spout. You used to be embarrassed, to make the thing behave. All it ever did was stand up and watch you shave. Now you're getting older, you really sing the blues. Cause all it ever does, is watch you tie your shoes:>)

Back
Top Bottom