Howdy

kbennett2000

Advanced Member
I've been lurking here for a few days reading posts and thought it was time to say howdy. I'm not a camper owner yet, but I'm firmly on the path. So anyway, here's the story...

It all started with a little diesel Jetta. I brought her back in 2004, my first brand new car. From the first time I turned the key, I was hooked on diesel.
(not my car, but this gives you an idea)
jetta.jpg

After I brought the car I got hooked on mountaineering. I hate going alone (safety) and the poor Jetta struggled to hold two full grown men and a full set of winter gear. I ended up removing the backseat and making her a two-seater with a large trunk. She was a great car, but ultimately proved unreliable and after a few major breakdowns in town with less than 30,000 miles, I knew I needed something different. Thus was the beginning of the ‘Psychobilly Cadillac’ (any Johnny Cash fans?)
psbCaddy.jpg

Howdy - continued...

A brand new 2006 Cummins 2500 Quad Cab Short-Bed 6-Speed 4x4 Big Horn Edition. I spent nearly a month looking across three states for one with a manual transmission and a manual transfer case and then found one on a lot five miles from my office. I brought the truck on my lunch break! In the next year and half some parts found their way on the truck…
-AFE stage II intake
-5” turbo-back exhaust
-35” BFG AT’s
-DiPricol 4 gauge pod (boost, EGT, lift pump pressure, transmission temp)
-Smarty Programmer (550hp, 1150 ft/lbs, 22mpg highway) – Tim Allen grunt…
-Sportz Truck Tent
-Coleman ProCat Catalytic Heater
-750 watt inverter
-Zodi Hot-Tap HP (modified with 120v 350gal/hr pond pump)
-3” memory-foam tent mattress :)

(the Cadillac in Cottonwood Canyon, Death Valley National Park)
caddy1.jpg

psbCaddy2.jpg

So, why am I here? Well, in eight years I’ve never even come close to using all my vacation time and it finally caught up with me. I’ve always been sort of a ‘weekend warrior’, out camping and exploring Colorado over the weekends and holidays, but that was the extent of it. I decided it was finally time to get out there and get absorbed in a place. So I took two weeks off for a trip out to the west coast; I spent a week in Death Valley, and another touring Yosemite and making a long drive back home.

Since I’ve been back I’ve had this unshakeable feeling that a crucial part of me is still out there. I’ve had unceasing daydreams of exploring Alaska, wandering the Pacific coast, roaming Montana…

While the Truck Tent has been a remarkable product it’s really a three-season solution. The appeal of something like a Four-Wheel Camper grows… So I found my way here. The Cadillac is still in the works, I think she’ll have a new suspension soon then the search for a nice, clean used Hawk begins. Anyway, I’m not a FWC owner yet, but I do feel as though I’m among similar souls. Greetings fellow wanders!
(The Cadillac, Panamint Dunes)
panamint.jpg

Welcome aboard K Bennett, (must have gotten the memo that pictures are required:D)

You come with the right attitude….Life is too short and wasting valuable vacation time is sad:eek:. That time you will never get back, so get out there and enjoy and see what the land has to offer.

Truck looks great and a camper will make it look even better.

You use the universal method as I do to level the truck:thumb:.

So, why am I here? Well, in eight years I’ve never even come close to using all my vacation time and it finally caught up with me. I’ve always been sort of a ‘weekend warrior’, out camping and exploring Colorado over the weekends and holidays, but that was the extent of it. I decided it was finally time to get out there and get absorbed in a place. So I took two weeks off for a trip out to the west coast;

Anyway, I’m not a FWC owner yet, but I do feel as though I’m among similar souls. Greetings fellow wanders!

-750 watt inverter
-Zodi Hot-Tap HP (modified with 120v 350gal/hr pond pump)
Welcome and that is a great looking setup you have!

Yes, we LOVE pictures!

I assume you use the inverter to power the pond pump and have the pump intake in a stream/pond/river/lake/puddle/cenote/etc.

Mike

Thanks everyone!

Mike - Actually I drop the pump into a five gallon Home Depot bucket that way I can recycle the water when not using it. I'll take a few pictures of the setup next time I'm out (should be this weekend).

Mike - Actually I drop the pump into a five gallon Home Depot bucket that way I can recycle the water when not using it.
What a great idea!

I'll take a few pictures of the setup next time I'm out (should be this weekend).
Yup, we LOVE pictures!

Mike

Attachments

• We-Love-Pictures.gif
    We-Love-Pictures.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 221
KB
Its your dough but I think you'll find the 2500 carries the Hawk just fine without any suspension mods. I see that you have made a number of mods so the new suspension may just be the natural progression of things for you. I'm about to change the stock shocks out on my Ram 2500 and will probably go with Explorers.

Welcome aboard the best site in WebDom

For shocks, you may wish to look into the Bistein 5100 or 5150s as well. They made a night and day difference on my truck. I had them on briefly before I switched over to my new suspension. The new suspension made an even bigger difference (unloaded). Loaded I now need to add airbags or something for the camper.

Jay - I've actually been very impressed with the factory suspension, for what it is it sure handles the rough stuff well. The only reason I'm looking to replace it is to make the truck more capable and fine-tune it to what I use it for. Increasing the ride height 1"-3" will allow me to -double- my articulation, and it gives me the option to get a set of 37" tires for the weekend adventures. :) I never tow anything anyway and a FWC is the heaviest thing I ever plan on putting in the bed, so I can trade a lot of the stiffness for usuable off-road performance.

CJ8 - I've heard a lot of great things about the Bilsteins over on TDR (great site for Dodge diesel owners - www.turbodieselregister.com), but I know myself and if I go with something like that I'll just be kicking myself for not going all the way and getting a true off-road damper. How do you like the Lorenz DP Leafs? Thuren's got a set but he says they are very soft and not for everyone. With a FWC in the bed I think I'll need something a little stiffer...

The shock suggestion was more to Jay than to what you're planning for your truck.

As for the suspension, I really like it unloaded, but w/ the camper it is a little too soft in the back. I spoke to Sean about it and his suggestion is to add airbags. He is working on a long travel airbag kit of some sort... I'll probably go w/ that when it comes out. It handles the weight on the highway just fine, but offroad I have managed to bottom it out a bit w/ the camper. Offroad w/o the camper... well... you can go faster than any sane person should in a 7000 lbs truck. It just soaks up the bumps like nothing.

For the camper it seems either the stock leaves w/ a mini pak to replace the overload or the DP springs w/ airbags are the ticket.

I'm a member on TDR under the same username... great site... dangerous for your wallet though! :)

Rocky is your new suspension less stout than stock. The reason I ask is because my fully loaded Hawk (2 weeks of stuff) doesn't even begin to bother my truck with the stock set up.

I don't think of it as being any less stout than before... it definitely has softer spring rates though. These springs have a softer 6 leaf primary than the 4 leaf stock primary and a progressive secondary with 5 leaves rather than the 1/2 thick or so single leaf secondary that the stock springs have. Before the camper, I used the truck for towing my Jeep and had a roof top tent that sat on the back. W/ that load, the suspension worked just fine. Now, w/ the camper though it is still plenty stable and it controls the weight, but it sags it a bit. I just ordered some air bags for it that I will be picking up tomorrow and hopefully installing this weekend. I think at that point, I will have the best of both worlds. I'll still be able to haul the camper and be able to blow down fire roads w/ or w/o the camper on.

CJ8 - Which airbags did you end up with? If you get any pics of the install or the finished product, can you post them or PM me? I'd like to see the setup...

I went w/ the Firestone kit. Main reason is that Sean Lorenz is working at designing a long travel kit around them so hopefully I won't have to replace them when he gets his kit done. I'll just have to buy the extra components that he has developed. If I wasn't concerned about the future modifications to the kit, I probably would have gone w/ the Pacbrake airbags.

I'll post some pics when I get the kit... I'll try to remember to take a few install pics as well as the final install.

Kyle

Back
Top Bottom