HP India Scam

PackRat

I got a new HP laptop in December and it has Windows 10 on it. The old one was Vista. The old one did not generate scam calls because scammers did not support that system either. So now I have been getting calls from "Jerry" or "Bob Smith" or "Steve"...with a distinctive Indian accent and the initial scratchy connection when I pick up the landline.

The usual scam, HP has noticed some virus activity on my op system (they don't do this and neither does Microsoft, they contact you via email not phone) and they obviously want me to give them control of my computer to search for any bank info or passwords and then charge me some money to "clean" the problem I never had.

Usually about 10am and 8pn PDT. Probably two to three times a week.

Persistent buggers at that...here is my menu of responses. (Never say "Yes" during the conversation, that's another scam the chick who says, "Can you hear me, I dropped my headset! giggle-giggle).

1) when they ask for me I say who is calling and then when they start their spiel I say I sold the computer weeks ago because they had called me to tell me it had so many bugs in it. That stops some right there.
2) the more persistent guy asks what computer I am now using I tell 'em the one at the Library. That stops the rest of them.
3) sometimes I tell them to hold on I need to get a pen and my credit card and then I set the phone down and go watch TV or something.
4) another favorite when they ask for me is to tell them "he's dead"...
5) telling them you'll have to call right back on the HP customer service or the Microsoft CS line freaks them out and they insist on you calling THEM on THEIR line. I promise I will and then forget them.

When I get bored, I turn on the radio at HIGH volume when they call and set the handset down next to them and yell that they need to turn down the music and that confuses them also. I found heavy metal music works better than the Symphony for this response.

I'm looking for a recording of some really scratchy interference (white noise) I can play at high volume in the background while I mess with them...

Now I understand why my cat still likes to play with the catnip infused mouse on the end of the string attached to the stick.....because he can.

Yes, we do need to be mindful of all the scams out there.

If I have a moment or two when I hear from "Frank from Windows" I have as much fun as possible...................I have succeeded when out of absolute frustration I hear, "I don't want to talk to you anymore!" Click.

The last hang up I got was when I asked, "When your head hits the pillow at night, are you able to sleep after trying to steal from people all day?"

Makes me wish I still had a landline. I really need to watch my dad on this stuff. He doesn't fall for most of it but they keep getting cleverer and he's not as sharp as he once was.

I tell those saying my computer is putting out errors on the internet that I have 13 computers so I need to know the IP address and the MAC address of the offending computer so I can get to the right one.

None so far has answered that question.

Paul

I kept them on the line for 20 minutes the first time with my stupidity. They just couldn't understand why I couldn't find the key with the picture of windows on it (I'm using a Mac). Finally they got so frustrated they started cussing me out and suggesting what they were going to do to my mother and sister. I hung up but they called back in a few minutes to continue the rant. We retired folks need some sort of entertainment.

I had nothing to do one day when they called, so I called them back about a dozen times and kept asking them to never call me again. Their profanity with the accent was entertaining - they haven't called since.

craig333 said:
<snip>
I really need to watch my dad on this stuff. He doesn't fall for most of it but they keep getting cleverer and he's not as sharp as he once was.
Yes, my father-in-law was almost taken by the "Grandpa" scam phone call -

Girl caller says "Grandpa?", the older person replies with their real grand daughter's name, "Susie?"
Then it's usually need bail for a drug arrest that can be paid with a trip to a convenience store and buying lots of prepaid charge cards.

My father-in-law thought it was real, told "Susie" to call me, and then called me to help "Susie".

Us old farts need some entertainment and making these scumbags lives just a little bit difficult always brings a smile to my face. In fact I WANT to answer the land line these days since almost everyone uses my cell phone and its about 50% chance it is one of these scams so it gives me a bit of fun in the mid-morning over a second cup of coffee to mess with them.

I think I'll try speaking Spanish (I don't speak Spanish by the way) to them the next time...you know just start rambling off things you read on the menu at your favorite Mexican restaurant and see how long they stick around or if they try to transfer you to a Spanish speaking scammer....which of course I will start speaking English to just to mess with them.

I look at it this way...the longer I can torture them on the phone, the less chance they have to hook up another gullible person and rip them off. It's like a Call To Duty to fight a delaying action and screw with them a little!

PackRat said:
I look at it this way...the longer I can torture them on the phone, the less chance they have to hook up another gullible person and rip them off. It's like a Call To Duty to fight a delaying action and screw with them a little!
This is exactly the purview of the scam-baiting community at 419Eater.com. Make them waste time and money on you rather than gain access to another victim.

Me and a couple of friends used to have a competition to see who could keep them on the line the longest. But since I dropped the landline and only have a cell phone I don't answer many calls when I don't know the caller. One thing of value you give the scammers is a legit phone number with a real person on the other end. These are collected and sold.

jim

I suppose one advantage of living a fairly unconnected life is I rarely get cold call sales pitches or scam calls any more. When I do/did, I just hang up. It's pretty hard to engage and hustle someone if no one is on the other end of the line. Works well for obscene and crank callers too.

Back
Top Bottom