'Hurry! I'm starting to slip!'

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
This is a pretty great story -- with a happy ending.
It happened a week ago on a trail in the Columbia River Gorge, east of Portland, OR:

Linfield student hangs by root for 45 minutes after Columbia Gorge fall
By Amy Wang | The Oregonian/OregonLive, June 05, 2015

I found the full story -- including the young woman's personal account -- worth reading.

I liked:
"...a man tossed down a rope made out of sweatshirt, rain jackets and sweatpants..." [victim's quote]
It sounds like one of those things that people do in a movie but would never work in real life -- but it did this time.

"If you want to rescue someone, you want to rescue someone levelheaded like she was...." [passerby rescuer's quote]
Much better than screaming hysteria, I'm sure... ;)

Holy Crap!! Glad that it turned out so well.

Years ago the Sierra Club ran a series of classes called the "Basic Mountaineering Training Course." It is now defunct due to the lawyers and it's replacement is called the "Wilderness Travel Course." Still a good class to take, but rope work is noticeably missing. The result of having taken that class is that I always travel with a small pack that I call the "Boy Scout Bag." one of it's contents is ~50 feet of 9mm climbing rope.

Wow, I thought that only happened in cartoons. No way I'd be able to hang on for 45 minutes. I don't have any rope skills but I do carry 100' of climbing rope in the truck just in case. You just never know.

ntsqd said:
...I always travel with a small pack that I call the "Boy Scout Bag." one of it's contents is ~50 feet of 9mm climbing rope.

craig333 said:
...I do carry 100' of climbing rope in the truck just in case. You just never know.
Well, apparently there's no need for a rope -- just some sturdy clothes.

;)

Thanks, but I think I'll continue to carry the rope. ;)
Kind of surprised that the hikers trained in rescue didn't have any rope between them. Bet they don't make that mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom