Hwy 50

I think you gave me another trip. Going northeast this summer, coming home I think we will go to ocean city, drive home 50,[1 hour south of us] then do the rest next year. Great place for ideas

Looks like a great drive, Mitch. I've driven highway 50 from Sacramento to St Louis but not beyond. These days I live on 50 at the blue dot. East of me, to central Missouri, 50 is basically the Santa Fe Trail. West of me, in western Colorado and Utah, it coincides in places with the Old Spanish Trail. In Nevada, of course, it's the Loneliest Highway where there is really nothing of interest. In the Sierra Nevada of California 50 will take you close to the Ski3pins' home.

us_50_map1s.jpg

Yes, if you are just driving down the road you will think its just desert and nothing there. If you take a little time and go off the road and into the hills you will find some interesting stuff. There is more greenery up in the hills than you might think. Kinda like Death Valley. Until you go explore it, you really do not know.

For example, a little west of Ely I found an old gold type mine which was about 25 miles off the road or so. The place still had old hand tools there like everyone just left and no one has really disturbed it.

After doing a little research, I'm really looking forward to this trip. I won't have too much time to explore the back roads, but I do have a few questions I'm hoping those familiar with Nevada can help with.

On the way there I plan to drive Hwy 50 with a few detours, e.g. 2/722. (Has anyone been to Big Den Creek?) I'm looking for a place to spend the night and I see that most campgrounds don't open until May 15th. I'm okay cruising down a dirt road until I'm away from the highway and boondocking for the evening. Should I expect roads to be snowed in at the end of April?

On my way back I'm going to have to do the grind down I80. It doesn't sound fun, but has anyone spent the night in a rest stop? Or should I do the cruise down a dirt road until I'm a couple miles away from the highway? What have you done when it was time to stop driving for the day?

On my way back I'm going to have to do the grind down I80. It doesn't sound fun, but has anyone spent the night in a rest stop? Or should I do the cruise down a dirt road until I'm a couple miles away from the highway? What have you done when it was time to stop driving for the day?

I spent a night at an Interstate rest area for the first time ever on the way home on I80, westbound, in Nevada this past early January. At the rest area at Valmy, as I described in my trip report here. This was a good rest area for campers like us 'cause there was room to get off the pavement in back and be out of the flow of traffic, more-or-less. I doubt that you'll experience -16°F temps as I did there, not in April.
biggrin.gif

Over the years I've slept in many rest areas on I-80. If you can get away from the big rigs, who often run their engines all night, a good night's sleep can be had.

Espresso,

On I-80 in Nevada is Rye Patch Recreation Area.Between the two campgrounds is a dirt road that goes 100 yards to BLM land. If you tell the ranger at the entry gate you are just passing through to the BLM land they don't charge you the entry fee. Just drive the 100 yards and you can pop the top there. Kind of like camping down a dirt road from the freeway but with a layer of protection between you and the freeway. Here is the location: 40° 28’ 09” N 118° 19’ 06” W.

I"ve never had an issue stealth camping at rest stops, but if I could I'd avoid 80. Its just so oh, not wonderful. Unless you're in a hurry, then the NV speed limits are nice.

Back
Top Bottom