I Bolt and setup

dagankoffler

Hi all, so after a long roller coaster relationship with Craigslist I have located and purchased a 93' Ranger for my T-100. I am going to take a drive and pick it up in about 2 weeks and I am in the process of getting all my ducks lined up to take the camper. I was going to bring the I bolts with me and install them at on site to get best location for tight fit but wasn't sure if that was best idea or just pre-install??? I was going to buy the I-bolt kit from FWC but from my understanding its 4 standard galvinised I bolt. Does anyone know what size I-bolts to use. I have also read on this forum that some people put a metal plate on the underside of the bed to protect any longterm ripping up of the bed. Does anyone recommend a certain installation and size of plate?? The camper has four jacks currently installed but the previous owner had the camper on a Tacoma and the jack width is to narrow right now so we are going to load the camper with cable jacks. I am going to have to extend the camper jacks about 2-3 in. on each side. Recommendations for completing this job??

This forum has been extremely helpful in my process of getting a camper and I thank all of you FWC enthusiasts for taking the time to help us newbies on our starts.

Dagan

I installed the "kit" from FWC for my new Hawk before heading to Wyoming to pick it up.

sean @ Go Anywhere was kind enough to ship the kit to me free of charge.

The kit contains the eye bolts/washers/locknuts as well as all of the needed parts/wiring to wire your camper to your truck's electrical system (or is it the other way aorund? LOL). While the instructions are bit confusing and could use some visual diagrams, IMO, I waded through it and ended up getting it right.

It isn't something you can't recreate yourself...but it is all in one place/one package.

Congrats on the purchase...good luck whatever ya do with the install!

mtn-high

I would personally do it before hand. I called FWC direct and they gave my some pretty specific measurements of where to mount the bolts. I'd also recommend getting forged eye bolts. Good luck and welcome.

My recomendation is to buy the complete install kit from FWC.

I think it is worth the $ 125.00

We use good stuff -- forged zinc coated eye bolts, thick double insulated stranded wiring, marnie camper to truck plug, decent wire connectors, thermal breaker fuse, etc.

You might be able to save a few bucks if you shop around locally, but what is your time worth these days ? You might burn a whole afternoon driving around town (time & gas is valuable these days), just to save a few dollars.

I'm not trying to upsell you or sell you an overly priced install kit.

I always try and shop for sales, bargins, and the best price when I can.

But I keep learning the hardway (cheap is not always the easiest or best value in the long run).

just my 2 cents worth

:)

But I keep learning the hardway (cheap is not always the easiest or best value in the long run).
Stan, you are very wise for such a young person! :thumb:

Mike

The T100 front bed corners are built with the bed floor pinch welded to the front wall of the bed.You should reinforce the corners with a bracket or plate for the eyebolts.If you plan on traveling any seriously nasty roads this is a must.I also had to extend my jacks.I used 3/8 aluminum plate to keep the weight down.I have posted a couple of pictures of of my solution to the weak bed corners and the jack extension.

Attachments

• 100_0573.jpg
    100_0573.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 392
  • 100_0454.jpg
    100_0454.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 399
  • 100_0456.jpg
    100_0456.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 397
Back
Top Bottom