I finally got some nuts

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
for my turnbuckles.

I'm thinking that when the going gets rough, the nut will simply loosen up then the turnbuckle as usual. We shall see.

Anyone else got nuts?

Attachments

• nuts.jpg
    nuts.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 509
for my turnbuckles.

I'm thinking that when the going gets rough, the nut will simply loosen up then the turnbuckle as usual. We shall see.

Anyone else got nuts?

Why not go the whole 9, and add a flat washer against the turnbuckle, then stack a lock washer?

I've got a righty and a lefty on each side of the body. I also had some spare steel chain laying around so I installed a short piece of chain with a threaded quick link on each end from tie-down point to tie-down point . Of course it's a loose fit, but a couple of tie wraps to the turnbuckle prevents any rattling. Just a little bit of cheap insurance in case the turnbuckle gives out.

Yeah I put a wing nut and star washer on each of mine a couple months ago, so far nothing is loose at all. Haven't been on too much bouncy stuff yet though.

Found Something Better

Check out the Fast Gun Derringer, add some j bolts to the Derringer, adjust to the eye bolts, lock the handle into place, insert the retaining pin. Problem solved !! These will not turn or come loose, easy to remove, adjustable to all four corners.

I use the exact same turnbuckles and they have not come loose at all. I use them stock as I got them with the camper..no washers or doubled up and they stay tight even on rougher dirt roads. Just my experience.

Paul

I put a jam nut on each turnbuckle the first day I had the camper. The reason being... I can read and there was a lot of dialogue about the turnbuckles coming loose. Since then I have not had any issues with the turnbuckles coming loose. We just got back from 4 days of a lot of dirt roads in eastern Oregon and to my delight... no loosening at all.

A little tight to get a wrench and screwdriver in there to tighten them up... but it appears to be well worth it. Screwdriver to hold the turnbuckle from turning.

Personally I don't think you would need a lock/star washer as there is enough friction due to the turnbuckle body and the threads being under compression.

DD,
How big are your nuts?...er...what size?...ummm....you know what I mean.

EDIT: I am actually serious about what the thread size is! I want to get this done this weekend.

DD,
EDIT: I am actually serious about what the thread size is! I want to get this done this weekend.

Mine were the more common 3/8" threading (is it 3/8-16?) I can't exactly remember but home depot had them. I actually just brought in a part of my turn buckle to verify as well.

I'd add star washers as well for added benefit, they are dirt cheap so it can't hurt...

DD,
How big are your nuts?...er...what size?...ummm....you know what I mean.

Pretty huge. Thanks for asking.

I just took a turnbuckle off the shelf at Ace Hardware and matched up to the nuts there in the store.

It may not help but I always use lock tight when replacing nuts/bolts on my trucks. My jeep takes a beating on suspension stuff and the lock tight holds up pretty good

Has any one here actually tried these things?

I posted on the first page that I have the exact same turnbuckle pictured and have had no problems with the wingnuts loosening. On or off the pavement.

I posted on the first page that I have the exact same turnbuckle pictured and have had no problems with the wingnuts loosening. On or off the pavement.

He was asking about "FastGun Derringer" but only mentioned it in his reply title which can throw ya off (speaking of reply titles whats up with that? This is the first board I've ever seen them on?).

Back
Top Bottom