I finally got some nuts

Result: even without the star washers I had no loosening at all on rough terrain. Seem nuts in any form are a good thing :)

Anyone tried these nuts? First thing I thought of when I saw "finally got some nuts".

(Tasteless, I know. Sorry, but I couldn't resist.):eek:

It'd be hilarious to sneak a set of those nuts on someones truck at the next rally :D

Make them blue for additional humor...

Just an update on the star washer/wing nut combo. While taking off my camper this weekend I noticed I managed to snap off on of the anchor points on my camper this last weekend (hit a BIG bump at one point), it was the passenger front corner. Anyways the remaining three turn buckles were all still tight and I had no idea that I had broken one of the camper connections until I got to it (3rd one I went to remove). So if it broke when I think it did that means the camper still never loosened up over a few more hours of gravel two track and washboard roads, in addition to 150 miles of highway driving.

After a couple years the verdict is in: nut alone is fine. No star washers or anything else required.

allright, i will remove the split washers and give it a try.

i am using wingnuts.....are you using wingnuts?

allright, i will remove the split washers and give it a try.

i am using wingnuts.....are you using wingnuts?

Yes wingnuts.

Wing nuts here. I use the star washers, maybe they do nothing maybe they add 10%, who knows. They are cheap and don't hurt so I'm fine with them on.

Need to order some elevator bolts now though. :p

Star washers are a better choice than the split-type "lock washer", but then I am totally biased against split washers in any use. At all. Their stated method of operation is either to act as a spring when the nut becomes slightly loose, or to gouge into the nut and base metal to resist turning. In the former case the joint is already loose, the only thing that the slip washer has done is attempt to retain the nut. In the latter case, have you ever cut yourself on those gouges? Painful and not fun. To add insult to injury, most split washers split a second time and then evaporate. Now the joint is loose and the washer is the direct cause.

If you need something better than a simple jam nut, use a nylock or lock-tite. Though it sounds like a simple jam nut is working for this need.

Back
Top Bottom