I have an idea for the do everything couch in a hawk...

Mock up

Well in regards to the camper I mainly just worked on the addition of a bed slide out this weekend but I did take a few minutes to mock up potential support patterns out of cardboard to compare against the current couch box for reference. This is nothing new if you've read mark's threads on his couch but I don't believe there was ever a side by side comparison so here it is. On the cad file I used to dimension out these pieces I have the bottom cushion overhanging the sleeper support by about 4.5" so there is potential to bring the supports out some more if desired. I just faked in a bottom cushion (red) for reference and in the bed mode faked in a backrest as well (green).

DSC02840Small.jpg

DSC02841Small.jpg

Pod8:

Ah, so nice to see your prototype. Of course, the old structure would have to go and I would assume you would keep the access panel for the turnbuckles free. Not a lot of space up front i notice.

One thing that is clear, once the bed is in the UP position, there become more room under it. I keep some mountainsmith cubes behind the couch when running because they fit, are rectangular, and are convenient to move when traveling. When I make the bed now, I just leave them there on the "shelf" and they cushion against the window and provide some insulation.

Now, I could see how they would fit under the bed in the up position, keeping the isle clear and neat. works with top up or down, too! Cool.

Keep it coming. this is great!

Dave/Seattle

one solution I saw for the turnbuckle access is to turn the slides & make it open vertically.

Doug

I was thinking a hinge on the bottom of a wood panel, add foam around the sealing surface and a latch on the top to decrease air infiltration.

pods,

Nice mock up, it'll make great templates later. The vertical access panel is likely the way to go, just carefully remove the staples from the plastic slides (and I stress carefully as that plastic is very brittle) cut 'em to length, add a stop at the bottom, and re-staple the sides and you're good to go. I'll be looking forward to seeing the progress and especially the finish product.

Back
Top Bottom