I know... it's crazy... Yosemite during 4th of July

Fernweh

Advanced Member
We have a western trip planned for this coming month and due to some conflicts we will be traveling through the Sierra's during the first week of July. We are looking for any suggestions in regard to camping around Mono lake and or Mammoth Lakes region (Inyo and Seirra NF).

We are making a circular route leaving Wisconsin and traveling out west through Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Etc...If you have any suggestions along our route for places to see or stay let us know.

Leaving Wisconsin June 24th
Lander WY (Wind River Range) June 25-27
Uinta mountains (Utah) June 27-30
Nevada TBD
California (Yosemite NP, Sequoia NP) July 1-7
Northern California (Redwood SP/NP, Coast) July 8-12
Oregon Coast July 13-17
Mount Rainer NP TBD
Olympic NP July18-22
Northern Cascades July 23-25
Yaak MT (Glacier NP) July 27- 31
Heading home

Thanks for the help,

Jim

2 places along Wind River Range. Just outside Lander is Sinks Canyon State Park, right on the Popo Agie River ( Poe Poe Shuh). Close to Lander, nice micro brewery Lander Brewery and Gannett Grill. We spent 2 nights and moved to Green River Lakes at the other end - 45 minutes on gravel, but we'll worth it. Beautiful mountain lake. If you go to my blog, check out our Wyoming/Montana trip from last September/October. Happy camping. jd

There is good dispersed camping off the dirt roads south of Mono Lake both north and south of 120. The dirt roads west off 395 on the national forest land north of Mammoth Lakes have lots of dispersed campsites. Just pull off into the wide spots where there often can be found stone fire rings, or not.

Hope this helps.

You won't get a campsite in Yosemite during the summer without booking 5 months in advance. But there was a recent thread here about dispersed camping off Evergreen Road. That is about 30 minutes out of the valley, but the closest you are probably going to get that time of year. Coming up 120 from 395 isn't too daunting for flatlanders. I wouldn't recommend 108 or 4 unless you are familiar with steep driving. 120 isn't open yet, but it should be by then.

If you are on 395, I remember camping on the Tioga Pass Rd. around Lee Vining. Then climbing up the mountains for some pretty fantastic views of the Sierra Nevada mountains and then dropping down into Yosemite for a day tripping adventure. There are many CGs along the road but again....reservations may be booked out.

If you are on 395, I once stayed at Grover Hot Springs near Markleeville. They have hot springs adjacent to the camp ground. We did have a bear encounter, or should I say the two young tent campers across from us did....apparently they have cleaned their trout on top of the Ice chest and shoved it under the camp table....the racket Mr. Bear made trying to get the cooler out from under the table which was of course about 12' from the two freaked out campers roused several of us with flashlights who sought to deter Mr. Bear from a distance.

The Ranger showed up and the poor kids were not reluctant at all to let the Ranger keep the cooler the rest of the night for them...

This year roads are late to be opened, camps are late to be opened and right now there is a heat wave which might drive even MORE campers from lower elevation lakes/rivers to higher camps to avoid that. Good Luck with your trip!

Even Evergreen Road will be crowded but we have stayed there and gone into Yosemite Valley for a day trip.Once enough people enter the park they start to hold people at the entrances, so try to leave camp before 7:00 am. Still, enough will be allowed in that gridlock in the valley is normal. Even the shuttle buses aren't worth the effort because they are completely full and stuck in traffic as well. So parking and using the bikes is a great suggestion.

Despite the crowds, it is an amazing place and if this is one of the few opportunities you will have to go there it is something you should do.

Very great it worked out for you,what with the crowds and the nearby fire must have been an experience.
The falls this time from all the snow have been a fantastic show.
Post some pictures.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom