I want a Unimog

Oh Monte, I hope Lil' Red never reads this. :(

Besides, did you see where his knee is compared to the dashboard at 3:05? You don't want that.

Watching snow blowing is a good way to spend some of the time we all have on our hands.
Want to see some "real" snow blowing? Search the Cumbres and Toltec RR out of Chama NM.
During their winter runs they use a massive snow blower to clear the tracks.Really cool.

When we had our cabin in Dorrington it was fun to watch Caltrans bring the big road blower through
the subdivision streets.After the truck plows cleared the road and the berm got over 6 or feet high
they couldn't push the snow any higher,so the blowers were called in.But that was back in the day
when we had real winters.
Fun to watch.
Frank

Ted said:
Oh Monte, I hope Lil' Red never reads this. :(

Besides, did you see where his knee is compared to the dashboard at 3:05? You don't want that.
I know, I know..............................Lil' Red is well sized for his work area. Sometimes it is just fun to dream big. :)

I think Hwy #1 through Roger's Pass gets the most snow of any major road in the world. They artillery to start controlled avalanches
which then take a while to clear. This video shows how much snow can come down in one of these avalanches!

I think ski towns are the only places on earth that enjoy the sound of artillery. I used to be close enough to one of the fire stations that the snow on my roof would slide from the concussion. Fun Fact: up till 2016-ish Washington DOT used a M60 tank to clear avalanches around Snoqualmie Pass.

Washington-DOT-tank-M60.jpg

A guy that I used to work for grew up in UT somewhere near a ski resort. They used to call in the UT Nat'l Guard to use their artillery to start those avalanches for both the ski area and the highways. Worked great until one year when they had a couple NuuB's on the crew and a shell cleared the ridgeline barely missing some guy's barn a long ways away. Kind of put a hard stop to all of that.....

The climb going South out of Ouray, CO has paved places for the artillery and some propane fueled sonic cannons intended to promote the same thing, I think. Been a while since we were thru there.

ski3pin said:
Ah......................oh boy oh boy! I should have saved a whole lot more money for retirement.
I know a place where they provide the machinery AND pay you to blow snow.

I like watching videos of big snow blowers. Snow is pretty in pictures.

The biggest snow blower I've seen was in Yosemite. it was a whole power unit mounted on an articulated loader. about 6'tall and 10-12' wide.

Unimogs are pretty cool, you can get front and rear 3 point hitches and PTO's and 3 way dump beds.

Back
Top Bottom