I went chukar hunting and helped some people get unstuck

idahoron

I went out on a chukar hunt today. It is a 3 hour drive down a two track in the middle of the desert. Hunitng was not real good today, it might have been the 2 degrees. I headed home about 3 and was about home when I saw some people beside the road on a steep hill. They were waving their arms like crazy. I pulled over and found out that they were climbing a steep hill and uprooted a rock. The rock got stuck under their axel by the right rear tire. They spun the front wheels on the big dodge until they had ice under the tires. That truck was stuck and no jack.
I pulled up to them and saw I was going to have to pull them forward. If I drug them backwards the rock was going to hang up again and drag under the truck. So I pulled in front and got my tow strap hooked up.
My 05 tundra with my camper on, pulling a full sized dodge up a steep hill I wish my camera battery wasn't dead. Well I got them pulled out and headed home. Not a great day but in all not bad.

img_110287_0_37967c0beebecd22486a5d64ac2ea832.jpg

img_110287_2_fcccb6233b99e9f75c864ecfadffd6e7.jpg

Serious cold out there today, idahoron. We're even cold in CA with the cold snap.
It must have felt pretty good to pull a out Dodge with your Toyota :D :D :D

Lighthawk said:
Serious cold out there today, idahoron. We're even cold in CA with the cold snap.
It must have felt pretty good to pull a out Dodge with your Toyota :D :D :D

That felt dang good. The weight on the Tundra gave it a ton of traction.

craig333 said:
Kind of nuts to be out in those conditions without a jack, shovel etc.

Real nuts. They were out there tubing the steep hill with their kids. It would have been a cold walk if I hadn't came along.

Good for you, idahoron. I followed your example and did my good deed today getting a family unstuck from a snow bank after I got back from snowshoeing. Icy road, so my little Ranger couldn't pull their big Chevy truck with a flat tire uphill without chains. I could either install the chains or use the shovel to dig out a bit, then pull them downhill. I did the latter. The flat tire was another story. They skidded into a big rock as they went into the snowbank. They had fancy big rims with fancy lugnuts and the lug socket didn't fit their lug wrench (or mine). I drove into town where my neighbor runs the hardware store and borrowed a 4-way lug wrench. Then used the compressor to air up their spare. Those fancy rims and tires probably look real good on pavement They didn't do so well on the forest service road. I think I'm going to buy that 4-way lug wrench off my neighbor. It could come in handy again.

highz said:
Good for you, idahoron. ...

... I think I'm going to buy that 4-way lug wrench off my neighbor. It could come in handy again.
x2 on the good deeds both of you!

I carry a 4-way just because I like the leverage you can get with it. Being able to help someone else is an added bonus.

Yep-need that 4-way, especially the way they use those power wrenches these days! Good deeds to others is all part of the outdoor life because you never know when it may be your turn to need help getting "unstuck".

Smoke

highz said:
Good for you, idahoron. I followed your example and did my good deed today getting a family unstuck from a snow bank after I got back from snowshoeing. Icy road, so my little Ranger couldn't pull their big Chevy truck with a flat tire uphill without chains. I could either install the chains or use the shovel to dig out a bit, then pull them downhill. I did the latter. The flat tire was another story. They skidded into a big rock as they went into the snowbank. They had fancy big rims with fancy lugnuts and the lug socket didn't fit their lug wrench (or mine). I drove into town where my neighbor runs the hardware store and borrowed a 4-way lug wrench. Then used the compressor to air up their spare. Those fancy rims and tires probably look real good on pavement They didn't do so well on the forest service road. I think I'm going to buy that 4-way lug wrench off my neighbor. It could come in handy again.
Good for you highz, nice job!

Good job highz! I have a four way that folds. I also have two that are the old style four way. I haven't tried the folder yet.

Back
Top Bottom