I went to the FWC factory on Monday - here's my build list

DonC

I visited the FWC factory on Monday. I met Tom, Steve, and Stan. It seems like a great company making a great product.

Below is where I’m at with my current thinking. The FWC staff were very helpful and answered all of my questions. What I’m hoping to get from you all is a broader set of experiences and comments on my build list – everyone comes from it differently.

My typical use will be Spring – Fall in the eastern Sierra, and Spring/Fall in the desert. I am usually only at one place for a day or two, and then move to another location for climbing, hiking, fly fishing. I usually travel by myself, and a few times a year my wife comes along.

So, here we go…

Fleet for 2nd gen Tacoma

Couch – I much preferred the couch, even when I looked at the larger Hawk. It makes stealth camping easier with a larger bed.

Cushion fabric – thinking of the Deer Valley Apache, but wonder if that might look dated in a few years. The blue fabric might be better over the long term?

Waeco 65 liter compressor fridge. This is the biggest compressor that fits in the Fleet. I am surprised that these fridges are upright rather than like a cooler. How the heck do you keep stuff in there from getting all rattled around on dirt roads?

Furnace – I read a lot about the Wave 3 options and was convinced I would go that way. But I liked the installed factory furnace, I like the idea of a thermostat. I was worried about the noise I read here, but it was much quieter than the typical heater in the hotel rooms I often stay in! I was told the new ones are much quieter than previous models. The Wave 3 would also be another thing to store.

Electric water pump – do you find this useful?

Fantastic fan – I was surprised that even the low speed is really moving and loud. The standard fan only has 3 speeds. They have another model that includes 14 speeds and a remote. I don’t care about the remote, but a nice slow speed just to keep air moving might be nice?

Extra roof vent over the bed

Yakima tracks - just in case

85 watt solar

Aux battery. The question is do I need a second battery for the fridge, computer use, camera battery charging, etc. Or is 1 battery plus solar good? There is lots of sun where I usually go so the solar should always be working.

Florescent light upgrade

I appreciate all comments!

I visited the FWC factory on Monday. I met Tom, Steve, and Stan. It seems like a great company making a great product.

Below is where I’m at with my current thinking. The FWC staff were very helpful and answered all of my questions. What I’m hoping to get from you all is a broader set of experiences and comments on my build list – everyone comes from it differently.

My typical use will be Spring – Fall in the eastern Sierra, and Spring/Fall in the desert. I am usually only at one place for a day or two, and then move to another location for climbing, hiking, fly fishing. I usually travel by myself, and a few times a year my wife comes along.

So, here we go…

The Wave 3 would also be another thing to store.

Well you always storing and carrying the factory heater as well, and it weighs more and takes up more space.

Electric water pump – do you find this useful?

Very much so but I have a daughter with a bad arm who can't pump but now that I installed a 3+ GPM shuflow I am very happy with it, fills a pot in a hurry.

85 watt solar

Aux battery. The question is do I need a second battery for the fridge, computer use, camera battery charging, etc. Or is 1 battery plus solar good? There is lots of sun where I usually go so the solar should always be working.

The heater will be perhaps the biggest drain. If I had a stock blower heater I'd go with 2 batteries but with the Wave I think you'd get by with one. The FWC solar panels seem overpriced, you can get much more for much less at Solar Blvd.

Florescent light upgrade

This certainly has been beaten to death :LOL: I like LED.

I appreciate all comments!

I understand liking the couch better.

The Wave would not need to be stored if it was mounted on the wall.

I am going with the marine standard of a Whale foot pump. With that I do not feel the need for an electric water pump, without a foot pump having a water pump would be good. Depends on how you camp.

How much more was the upgrade on the fantastic fan? You can swap out the fan internals at a later date if wished.

Good choice on the Yak tracks.

One ''camper'' battery should be plenty if you have a strong solar setup.

Either the LED or florescent light upgrade is a good choice, personal preference.

The only thing I can comment on...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fantastic fan – I was surprised that even the low speed is really moving and loud. The standard fan only has 3 speeds. They have another model that includes 14 speeds and a remote. I don’t care about the remote, but a nice slow speed just to keep air moving might be nice?

My experience...
The 14 speed is really quiet on the lowest 4 speed settings, then you can start to hear it above 5 to 8, with the noise level much more noticable at the #9 setting and above, but, boy does it move some air.
My amp meter registers in 1/10 of an amp and it doesn't read anything until setting #4 is on, then it's 0.1 amp.
Lastly, I've only been able to adjust the speeds via the remote, so, unless I'm missing something in the manual, don't throw away the remote, figure out a place to put it that you can reach it while in bed and while in the main salon.
And, the 14 speed is indeed FANTASTIC!

Having the extra manual opening vent over the cabover is nice, too.

That's a total of my $0.02 worth.

Ok, one more thing... the deer fabric looks like it's right out of 1978, too.
There's another $0.00001 worth.

I really love the 14 speed fan. I have one in both front and back vents. You need the back one for cooking exhaust and general cooling.....and you need the front one to put a nice quiet cool breeze on you at night when you are sleeping in certain temperatures.

X2 on the 14 speed, I've upgraded to it on two rigs now and it's the only way to go. The fan speed is only adjustable from the remote which is a bit inconvenient but you get used to it.

is it easy to install the 14 speed yourself, or does the factory need to do it? I may start with just the vent over the bed, and upgrade later to the 14 speed if needed.

The wiring part should be easy and I think both FWC & ATC pre-install the wires.

I prefer if it's a brand new camper to have the factory do the "sealing" part, IMHO.
Most likely covered on the leakage warranty.
I just purchased my 14 speed and delivered it to the ATC guys when I made my order and deposit.

However, if you search the forum, you'll find a lot of info on sealants to use (you'll have to decide what you believe, lots of opinions), and doing the job is not really that hard.

The 14 speed upgrade kit is fairly easy to install. The kit replaces the plastic plate holding the controls and screen with a higher tech version of the same. Takes about half an hour and simply replaces the inside portion of the fan.

Ditto on the 14 speed fan. I upgraded later, and did require getting used to using the remote. I did disconnect the auto vent cover function and now manually open it to what height I want it at, it only would adjust to full open or closed completely. Love the option of 14 speeds, I think it is a must. I installed it myself, easy to do. As said above, you only replace the inner workings. No fooling around with the factory seal.

Sounds like the couch is your best option as long as the wife does not go along to often, my wife loves the dinnete and I prefer it to.

Good choice with the ligting.

Solar is nice to have, plan to go with it sometime in the future myself.

I don't know about going without a second battery with a compressor frig, my understanding is, they are amp hogs. Guess its fine as long as you always have sunlight. My experience in the Sierras during the summers have been frequent afternoon thunderstorms though.

I use the spring loaded bars in front of the frig shelfs to keep everthing organized.

Interesting that a number of people have the 14 speed fan. It is not on their option list. I discovered it here buried deep in a thread and asked FWC about it. Are there other cool little options or variations available that are not published?

The 14 speed fan: Folks are going over to that one but aren't as fond of the remote aspect. I know we're all fantastic fan boys (pun intended :p ), but is anyone familiar with the Maxx Fan 4000? http://www.maxxair.com/maxxfan.html It's got similar controls but they're mounted on the actual fan and panther RV has them for $175.

I didn't see mention of a screen door, if it's not standard these days you may want to add that on. Many of us like that option and you can't add it onto the door after the fact w/o replacing the door. Much better to get it now if you want it.

I have an ATC Panther and after four years use, here are my observations.
I am like you, usually solo and no dogs,kids. I use the camper all over the West and mostly as a shelter when I return from doing something else.

I like the couch for a quick nap while on the road or sleeping with the top down.

I spent a night out last week with the top raised, the furnace set on 45 degrees and running for 14 hours and still had 12.2 volts in the AM. Outside temps were in the low 20's.

If you plan on moving every couple of days you will most likely be ok with one battery. I have a 65 watt solar panel on the camper and Engel fridge mounted in the truck. I prefer this set up because I don't have to open the camper everytime I want something from the fridge. Downside is you need a small cooler for cocktail ice.

If you plan on using a laptop a lot they do take quite a bit to charge. I would go with the two batteries from the start and not have to worry about adding one later, you know you will be getting a matched pair and the cost and weight aren't that much.

I rarely use my sink and when I do I wash up in a small basin that goes inside of the sink. Most of my time is spent outside the camper. I have no need for a electric pump. Keep it simple.

I do sometimes use the stove to heat water for dishes and showers, but do almost all of my cooking outdoors.

I have a Fantastic fan in the back and a vent over the bed, but I use it very little as I don't cook inside much. I open the vent over the bed and the side windows and usually have plenty of draft. I did modify the fan to run slower and give me six speeds and it is much quieter.

I bought my camper used and if I was doing it again I would get a shell with a furnace and batteries and modify it to fit my needs.

LED lights from an outside supplier, sockets go in the normal fixtures, keep one side with a regular bulb, plenty of light for me with just the LED. I use a headlamp to read at night.

Dsrtrat

Cushion fabric – thinking of the Deer Valley Apache, but wonder if that might look dated in a few years. The blue fabric might be better over the long term?

Did you see the video with the "Euro" interior? I liked the look of that but may not be available yet?

Myself I would go with the factory furnace, I don't care for the idea of opening vents to use a heater.
How about the rear steps to get up to the roof rack?
x2 on the couch layout.

Myself I would go with the factory furnace, I don't care for the idea of opening vents to use a heater.

I can say from experience that even with a ''vented'' propane heater it is a very good idea to have adequate ventilation.

Hey DonC , I just got a new Hawk in October, went through the same decisions.

Looks like you made a nice build there-

I agree with the couch. I like it a lot better than the scrunchy dinette. I can lounge on the couch, and I like the more expansive storage underneath.

I got the Waeco fridge and love it. Very quiet and efficient.

I love the factory furnace. It draws 1.8 amps, is quiet, and heats up the camper very fast. I like the thermo.

I got the water heater, comes with electric pump, etc. I really like it and the water pump is quiet. I didn't think I would use it that much, especially hot water, but I really appreciate having it. It's a bit of a luxury but it's nice when I'm out in colder weather. I don't regret it.

Yak tracks- definitely! I got full length. Just opens up options for mounting some bars and putting whatever you want. Gives you clearance for your solar panel too.

I would say get as much battery as you can. I got the aux battery with a second. They use the Deka solar AGM batteries, and so far I have not had any problems with juice and no need to charge, even after 3-4 days out, running the waeco fridge, furnace, lights, and I have a small inverter.

Screen door is a must I think-- I also like the rear floods, I know some people don't , but I have used them quite a bit already, very nice to light up the site when you come to settle after dark, very convenient. I would imagine in the winter with shorter days, I would use them more for that purpose.

I'm looking for mounting ideas for fishing poles, rifle, handgun box-- if anyone has added these , let me know!

If they will fit on the overhang I use 4"x6' plastic pipe with a cap on one end and a "clean out/screw cap" on the other.Works great as long as you have a place to mount them. This is how they are mounted on my bobcat on the tundra.

When I had the camper on the ranger they were outside the truck bed.

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN0005 11-07-18.jpg
    DSCN0005 11-07-18.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN3745.jpg
    DSCN3745.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 188
Keith, take a look at Black's Sure-locks for interior rod storage. I mounted two of them to the roof lift boards, and could not be more pleased.

Back
Top Bottom