Ice Chests?

I too prefer to have one cooler that is all packed with ice and then transfer it to my food and beer coolers as needed. I find the ice lasts really well that way.

Just a thing to point out that the article of the 3 way test stated that they used the same amount of ice which put the Coleman (as the biggest cooler) at a disadvantage. Is that enough to offset the better performance of the Engel? Prolly not but the Coleman does not appear to be as bad either. Now this is nothing about their hinges or handles which I too find weak. I just don't have $300 for a cooler! :oops:

Had my Yeti out this weekend for a pool party. It was 110 and I the ice was completely melted within 30 hours. Only had about the bottom covered with cubes and the water was pretty cold till about 24 hours. The suds were nice and cold. It was in the sun for about 4 or 5 hours. Not bad considering how hot it was.

At a 110 I would not be worried about the ice in my Yeti. I be looking for a walk in cooler. Man thats hot. The water in the pool must have bubbling.

The coleman extreme has a good name up this way as well.

At a 110 I would not be worried about the ice in my Yeti. I be looking for a walk in cooler. Man thats hot. The water in the pool must have bubbling.

The coleman extreme has a good name up this way as well.

Hahahaha! I agree Griz, if I was stuck at home all the time.....I think I would melt. I love the Sonoran very much, but this is the last time Im here in the summer. I will be a full time snow bird next spring. Just been to busy to find the summer home that is within a two hour drive of a major airport so I can commute to work. Know of any good places in your neck of the woods? -skeeter

I just bought a Coleman Extreme, 70 can capacity, all of $40 delivered from Walmart. Will test it next week on my month long Newfoundland trip :p

Just been to busy to find the summer home that is within a two hour drive of a major airport so I can commute to work. Know of any good places in your neck of the woods? -skeeter

What's a major airport :D Cloudcroft NM is less than 2 hours for the El Paso airport at at 8800' is has very nice summers.

skeeter, know of lots of places. for one campbell river. a lot of cal. are here in the summer enjoying the wx. and head back home in the winter. that is the rite thing to do.
fish here in the summer and golf there in the winter. best thing about the walk in cooler is we use it for fish. ha ha
cheers

and yes, i hunt griz pilgrim...........................

After many years with two Coleman Extreme coolers, the lids on both slowly
warped to the point neither one would seal any longer. Several weeks ago
I broke down and bought an Engel 65 quart ice chest. I have an Engel 45
freezer in the FWC and love it, so thought I'd bite the bullet and get their Ice chest.
As a test, I dropped a 20lb bag of ice in it and checked it every couple days.
The ice lasted 8 days in Sacramento weather in the 90's
Haven't actually used it yet, but will get an opportunity in the next
couple weeks and will report back. One comment, this thing is built like a tank
and should last many years.

Attachments

• Engel.jpg
    Engel.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 179
After many years with two Coleman Extreme coolers, the lids on both slowly
warped to the point neither one would seal any longer. Several weeks ago
I broke down and bought an Engel 65 quart ice chest. I have an Engel 45
freezer in the FWC and love it, so thought I'd bite the bullet and get their Ice chest.
As a test, I dropped a 20lb bag of ice in it and checked it every couple days.
The ice lasted 8 days in Sacramento weather in the 90's
Haven't actually used it yet, but will get an opportunity in the next
couple weeks and will report back. One comment, this thing is built like a tank
and should last many years.

Looking forward to checking that out Bob. How many pounds of bacon you think that holds?

Looking forward to checking that out Bob. How many pounds of bacon you think that holds?

I know it will hold at least 4 cuz that's what I'm bringing.. :oops:

just ramblin as i pass through as a newbie to WTW.

My wife and i have used a 70qt YETI for the past three seasons in the pacific northwest. I think the hottest day we experienced down at a river was in the high 70's so we are fortunate. The YETI packed with about 8 blue-ice blocks (1" x 6" x 6"?) and frozen foods such as steak, pasta-dishes, etc would keep frozen for about 5 days.

We are thinking that once we begin camping in the XPCamper sometime next summer we will use the YETI for food-storage inside the rear of the crew cab. It will stay below ambient temp by several degrees and keeps any critters away from the food-stores.

: )
Thom

I have a Yeti 45 cooler that will hold half gallon ice bottles for 5-9 days depending on the ambient temperature. Has anyone used something like the following to refreeze bottles on longer trips? I have a single camper battery but figure I could run the freezer while driving. Thoughts? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 10.42.14 PM.png

jprofita said:
I have a Yeti 45 cooler that will hold half gallon ice bottles for 5-9 days depending on the ambient temperature. Has anyone used something like the following to refreeze bottles on longer trips? I have a single camper battery but figure I could run the freezer while driving. Thoughts? Thanks.

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 10.42.14 PM.png
We used that method when boating for extended time on Lake Powell, but carried a Yamaha 1000 generator and a dedicated Group 27 battery to run the freezer. We typically would run the generator in Eco mode for an hour in the morning and afternoon. Used the same ice chest you have, and an Engel 45 freezer/refrigerator.

The Engel was used to keep frozen food and to re-freeze the ice. We tried to minimize the amount of time the freezer was open. Temperatures at the lake were in the high 60s at night, and high 80s (or higher) during the day.

Protecting both the freezer and ice chest from the sun, as well as using insulation helped a lot.

Aside from expense, the problem with rotomolded coolers like the Yeti is excessive weight. They cool well because they have much thicker insulation, or put another way, the volume of insulation space is double (or more) than most coolers. I’ve been waiting for years for the industry to come around to making coolers with this insulation volume, and a lightweight shell. The closest thing I’ve seen is the RTIC Ultra Light. And at about $150, a reasonable price.
https://rticoutdoors.com/Ultra-Light-Cooler?size=52&color=White-Grey

As mentioned above, the most logical color for a cooler is white, simply because it will absorb the least amount of solar radiation of any color.

If they can get away from the rubber latches (dry rot?) and use stainless steel, I’ll be all in!

Back
Top Bottom