Icebox uninstallation

craig333

Riley's Human
Pretty sure I'm going to take it out and make that a storage area. I'd just have to build a door. Looks like it just slides in and is held in by four screws. But before I yank on it I figured I should ask and make sure theres not something else holding it in.

The wood on the interior, is that something I can find easily?

I had an older Fleet model and just took out the four screws and pushed up the drain tube and pulled.

ice box

That should be all that is holding the ice box in. Don't forget to pull your drain hose though. The wood you should be able to find at any decent lumber yard. Just take a sample with you.

I took mine out and made a "pantry" with a shelf. I lined the inside with 3/8 MDF to protect the wiring and gas line. I used a piece of quarter inch ply for the door and put a cleat on the door back that rests on the bottom edge of the cabinet. It keeps the door from sagging and deforming on rough roads.

I also put in much thicker sliders under the sink. They stay put and dont deform.

I painted it all white. The extra storage is much nicer than the crappy ice box.

I use 1 or 2 Coleman Extremes, depending on the length of the trip, for parishable foods and drinks. I've sewn up a couple of moving blankets to cover them and give them even more insulation. When I have them outside and on the ground I put them on some scrap 2X4's to keep them off the ground. The ice last at least 5 days in very hot weather with that set up. You do have to keep them in shade but it works well.

Jay

I'm very happy with the coleman "five day" ice chests. Seem to work very well. I was looking at the Engel freezers yesterday. If I could afford one it sure would be nice to be able to actually freeze a few things (the smallest one would be fine).

Craig,
I looked at the Engel for a long time. I met a lot of guys in Saline Valley that have them and love them. But my system works in even 100+ temps and even better when you soak down the blankets. In Saline and most parts of the southwest you can find water and in Baja theres always the ocean. And, I can buy a lot of ice for $800.00...KISS works for me

Jay

I've seen them as low as $400. Still pretty pricey. I was surprised how low the current drain is on those. Not so low you can just ignore it, but for a freezer its not bad.

how bout' some pics of the ice box storage guys???

I know i posted these pics somewhere, but i can't remember where. And to get a good idea of just how much space you gain, I could just barely fit the coffemaker inside the icebox with no room leftover.

Attachments

• S5300034 (Small).JPG
    S5300034 (Small).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 435
  • S5300036 (Small).JPG
    S5300036 (Small).JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 466
  • S5300033 (Small).JPG
    S5300033 (Small).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 423
nice, yea i remember those pics but couldn't find them. thanks for posting them again...looks great!

I went about this backwards... my reefer died, so I replaced it with an icebox, but then decided to use the icebox as clothes storage/cabinet. It has an outside door/opening to a small storage area as well, where the reefer controls access was... so I use the icebox itself as a storage cabinet. Weird, but it works.

Art
'86 Blazer

anyone installed shelves in the area where the icebox is? i am thinking of going that route. any pics or ideas would be great...

Erod,
I thought I posted some pix of the ice box conversion I did on the Ranger I sold to Tom Tierra but I couldnt find them here. Maybe he can take a pic or 2 and post them. I did make accomodations for a shelf but found that I got more use of the space without the shelf and putting a couple of stackable totes that fit in the space. I'm sure its just personal preference.
Jay

jay, would like to check some pics out...guess i should be asking tom :D . thanks for your input...not sure about the shelves yet but i guess it also kind of depends on what i want to keep in there. if it was something big like a coffee maker (we use a percolator) then the shelves may not help but we may store clothes and personal items and shelves would help keep these organized.

so i got a chance to use the ice box this last weekend. coolers failed, super hot down in colorado but the ice box held in there. not too much longer but its great not having the melt water in/on all our food...i am having second thoughts about taking it out. anyone who doesn't have a screen door...get one...this was the hottest, buggiest weather yet and i was stoked on the screen door! just my .02.

It's possible to set up a cooler to keep food relatively dry. Get a plastic plant tray from a store where they discard them (even Wally has them), turn upside down and cut to fit in bottom of cooler. Get some plastic fittings for the cooler drain so you can open it and attach a drain hose. When you add ice to the cooler (block is preferable because it has less surface area and melts slower than cubes or crushed), just cut a few slits in the bottom of the plastic bag and drop it in. Melting ice runs below plant tray and goes out drain, leaving food relatively dry and food juices, if any, also drain.

Sadly, this will keep food cool, but won't keep soda and beer COLD, so a second cooler may be needed for that, but the less the food cooler is opened, the longer the ice will last.

piccies of ice box storage

This is the area where the Ice box was in my 2001 Ranger.

Channnel Islands-Jay did the Mod before I he sold me the camper..Very functional! We put our bedding in there, nice and light at the rear end of the camper..

Sorry for the delay in posting the piccies:D

Attachments

• DSCN1862.JPG
    DSCN1862.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN1863.JPG
    DSCN1863.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 232
so i got a chance to use the ice box this last weekend. coolers failed, super hot down in colorado but the ice box held in there. not too much longer but its great not having the melt water in/on all our food...i am having second thoughts about taking it out.
What kind of coolers failed? (I am hoping you will not tell me they were the Coleman Xtreme® coolers.)

Thanks,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom