Idaho - Yellow Pine/Big Creek Burgdorf loop

gsbfree

Contributors
Thought we'd share a few pictures of a recent trip in the remote mountains of central Idaho. We met up with our group (6 jeeps and our Tundra) and got all kinds of grief for bringing a "camper". By the end of the trip every person had taken a tour of the Hawk and commented how wonderful it must be to have these comforts

Our original plan was to head out from Cascade towards Yellow Pine, through Big Creek and then on to Burgdorf and McCall. We had not been able to confirm whether or not the roads were open yet... On the last day and just about as far into the back country as is drivable we found the road blocked by an avalanche with no place for the truck to turn around except for backing back down the narrow steep road for 1/2 mile...:eek:

Had a great time, only saw a couple other vehicles the entire trip!

The trip map....
YellowPine-BigCreek.jpg

The Roads.... Overall the roads were in very good condition and most any 4x4 vehicle could travel without any issue. Some of the side roads we took....well, I wish the truck was white so the new pinstripping didn't show up so well...
2009%20246.jpg

2009%20249.jpg

2009%20255.jpg

2009%20270.jpg

2009%20289.jpg

2009%20288.jpg

Had to clear trail a few times....
2009%20258.jpg

2009%20264.jpg

Idaho - Yellow Pine/Big Creek Burgdorf loop #2

2009%20307.jpg

2009%20309.jpg

2009%20391.jpg

We found the road was indeed blocked due to an avalanche that covered a switch back...
2009%20393.jpg

...and the upper side of the avalanche... it was 10'-14' feet deep... still in the middle of July. The snow cornice above us looks to still be 20'+ deep.
2009%20401.jpg

Stibnite area....
There are lots of mining sites in the area to be explored. One site we explored is Stibnite.
2009%20284.jpg

2009%20292.jpg

Stibnite main street...
2009%20286.jpg

The only remaining signs of buildings in town that had a population of 600 are foundations. All homes were moved 60+ miles to McCall after WWII...an amazing feat.
2009%20287.jpg

We stopped in Yellow Pine for an ice cream treat and fuel. An interesting place a long way from anywhere and the people that live there....well, there's a reason they live there. Yellow Pine has a great annual Hormanica festival each year and people come out of the wood work from all over the country...
2009%20298.jpg

Nice run and great photos! There is just so much to see in Idaho, the gift that keeps on giving.

I love roaming the backroads of Idaho. The dead & down trees though are no joke. That's another reason I didn't spend any time on the west end of the Magruder Corridor by myself. Without a chainsaw, winch or some serious equipment to move some of those felled trees, a person could find themselves in a real pickle, real quick.

Still, I wish I had a couple of months and a bottomless gas tank to wander around central Idaho....

The truck & FWC look great. I still think that may be the set up for me too, with a growing family of four. A real nice way to go. :thumb:

gsbfree,

Great trip report...thanks for sharing!:thumb:

It looks like there should be Blue Grouse on the ridges and Ruffs along the creeks and no need to carry firewood...great country! Maybe with daughter in Missoula for school this next year we'll get to see some of it.

Happy Trails!
'birds

Idaho - Yellow Pine/Big Creek Burgdorf loop #3

Big Creek back country air strip...
2009%20302.jpg

On the edge of the Frank Church Wilderness Area
2009%20303.jpg

2009%20366.jpg

We visited with a pilot before he took off.
2009%20373.jpg

2009%20379.jpg

...and the camping. The FWC's performance was awesome! It was exactly 1 year ago this month we ordered our Hawk. My only regret with the FWC is that I didn't buy one sooner.

Tri-tip roast grilled over the fire...Mmmm good!
2009%20324.jpg

Garlic bread grilled over the fire....
2009%20325.jpg

...and lot's of good dutch oven grub
2009%20281.jpg

2009%20282.jpg

that looks great. I have been relocated to Eugene Oregon about a year ago but still own a hous ein Moscow IDaho so I still have the Idaho plates. I miss those adventures. So many more of Oregons roads are paved! Idaho just seemed to have endless gravel roads all over the state. ever been back to moose creek? either hike or fly in from Selway falls, amazing country. most remote in the lower 48, I hear.

that looks great. I have been relocated to Eugene Oregon about a year ago but still own a hous ein Moscow IDaho so I still have the Idaho plates. I miss those adventures. So many more of Oregons roads are paved! Idaho just seemed to have endless gravel roads all over the state. ever been back to moose creek? either hike or fly in from Selway falls, amazing country. most remote in the lower 48, I hear.

I floated down the Selway River a few years back, Wow what a treat !! Nice country, Moose Creek was awesome, the bridge at Moose Creek across the Selway River was cool. Alot of wildlife in them there hills. Too many rattle snakes, found one in our tent one evening inside a sleeping bag, not a great feeling. Would like to experience the Selway River again some day. Spent six days floating the river, fishing was awesome for Cutthroat Trout, water was gin clear, some of the class five water was exciting to go down.

Back
Top Bottom