Ideas needed for a week or so trip

clikrf8

Okay, we have the PNW greys (as opposed to blues). Our daughter is moving out in early March so we won't have a caretaker. We have a Washington State Off Season Parks Pass for seniors so are thinking maybe a trip to some state parks. Orcas Island sounded good until I looked at ferry rates ($115+!!!). Somewhere east of the mountains? Oregon Coast? Eastern Oregon? No snow or rain, please. I heard that it has been very dry in the west this winter so we may not encounter any rain or snow. Ideas? Thank-you.

Lava Beds National Monument in Ca

City Of Rocks Idaho

Black Rock Desert

Out Highway 50 past Austin (hot springs!) then south on the east side of the Toyabies

Good ideas but City of Rocks is saved for next fall. Highway 50 is a favorite hangout, especially exploring the mountain ranges and valleys lying between 50 and highway 6. Too far for a week for us. Black Rock is another place we have been to many times but we want to explore High Rock Canyon which is closed seasonally. Lava Beds is a maybe.
We are thinking a trip down the Oregon Coast then return to check out Silver Falls State Park

I'm heading down the Oregon Coast in early March. Coming back thru the Black Rock. I called Silver Falls last week and dogs are not allowed on the waterfall trail.

Any tips on free or low cost camping on the coast?

Bringing the two dogs along is fun for all of us but cramps our photography efforts. Usually the plan is to take turns walking them around the parking lot or sometimes it is me as I am the more serious shooter. There is a waterfall at Silver Falls State Park that isn't too far away so I will probably shoot it then Tony will later.

I think we will head south along the coast to look for agates and shoot some coastal scenes then head inland over the Cascades to Eastern Oregon for rockhounding (something the whole family enjoys) then return home via Silver Falls and the mad dash through Portland and Seattle.

Not sure how big your dogs are, but where do you have them ride, and sleep? in the camper, truck, in crates outside? I'm asking as I am formulating how to travel with a TC with two senior pitbulls. Sorry off topic... if need be, I can search or start my own thread.

One of the reasons we went for a bigger truck/camper (previously '99 Tacoma and FWC Eagle) is because of the dog and the need for a bit more room. The F250 is an extended cab so they fit in the seats behind us. We use restraining harnessing for each so they won't get too rambunctious or fly through the window. One sleeps in the extended bed in the camper and the other sleeps on the dinette cushion. A few weeks ago we tried camping with both of them for 3 days/2 nights and it really wasn't that much more of a job. I can walk them both at the same time or we walk them together. One is a black Standard Poodle, the other is a Chocolate Poodle/German Short-Hair Point cross. Both Craigslist pups, males and big. Since they are each other's best friend, they gat along quite well.

That's one reason why I would have liked to have a pass thru window between the camper and dog (extended) cab. The dog, forty pounds, travels in the dog cab. Camping she sleeps under the bed on a platform we build. This enables us to scratch behind her ears when we need to. This works well for us now but if / when we get another dog? My wife was talking about another small dog but she sure likes the Irish Wolfhound that moved in down the street!

Before you get that Irish Wolfhound, check out their health issues with bones and average lifespan. They are great dogs but do have some concerns.

Paul

We arrived home last Wednesday from a 9 day trip along the Oregon Coast. Weather was sunny and warm. We stayed at two Washington state campgrounds on the way down (Dosewallips and Cape Disappointment both ways) as we have a Senior Off Season Pass. It almost felt like dispersed camping as few people camp in off season. In Oregon, we only stayed at Beverly Beach State Park because of the free showers ($17 a night for tent site). The other three nights we boon docked. For locations, PM me as I don't want to share with the world. We just drove up logging roads in the national and state forests. One was about a mile from 101, smother was a bit of a drive up some gravel roads but was along a beautiful little creek in the woods. The other was in a clear cut area where we could see for miles. There was an old sign that said no RVs but it was on a Saturday night so we were safe from a logging truck encounter. Very quiet and serene even in a clear cut. We walked lots of beaches snd picked up about a quart of agates. The dogs had a great time running on the beach at Long Beach, WA but had to be leashed in Oregon.

We will check out Alvord in April on our way to Nevada. Steens won't be open yet to the overlooks. Maybe this year will be different with the low snowfall. So many places to elore in this great country, especially the West. I have cousins in New York state where snow is a four letter word. I am thankful I was born out west. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edgewood said:
Noted Paul. A dog with a life span of six or seven years...my heart wouldn't take it,
2X on that, my Border Collie just turned 8 and I hope he makes 15 or 16! On the other subject, all these years I've spent up here in the high desert of the tricorner area of Calif/Nevada/Or , have taught me that a nice side trip up an inviting dirt road during March/early April can lead to an unplanned adventure (right Mark :p -see a old thread called getting unstuck for details). You head out here then, call the nearest land management agency for conditions or post something here before you leave because one or more of us probably just got back from there :D ! Keep on the gravel roads and enjoy!

Smoke

Smoke

Beverly Beach had a few agates amongst the rocks in the gravel bar at low tide but most are covered up by sand. We thought coming a bit early in the season we might find more. However at our secret beach, we found over a quart after 3 days. Mostly smaller ones but did find a few that were an inch diameter. On that same beach I found a 1.5"triangle shaped carnelian agate (red orange). No one else was on the beach and I almost lost it to a big wave as I am wary of "sneaker waves".

Back
Top Bottom