If you can only choose one location, where would you place a fan?

Mderou

Advanced Member
Hello,

So I'm trying to outfit my grandby and just purchased a Maxxfan 6200k which I intended to install in the central aft area to replace my standard no-fan vent. My consideration was that I would remove that and reinstall it above the bed. My thinking was it was more suitable to have the electric fan over the cooking area to vent better. After spending one sweltering nigh in it, I'm thinking the bed may a better option. I'm willing to acknowledge that the actual space between both vents is pretty insignificant. So based on your experiences if you could only choose the fan in one location, where would you place it? I'm not really apt to purchase a second maxxfan at the moment because I want to get some mileage on this one first. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about it.

I vote for over the bed, so it can blow directly on you on a hot night. It can still draw hot air out from the rear cooking area.

I ditto Mr Wandering Sagebrush. It is essential to get a good draw from cooking steam up and out. I don't like the sounds of a fan over my head when sleeping ...so having it on out the cool air comes in over your head. IMO ... which at 5 cents can't even get you a coffee

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Yes, then open the front vent, so the powered vent blowing out will pull outside air in across the sleeping area.
I have a lot to learn about air flow hahah. But this sounds nice.

buckland said:
I ditto Mr Wandering Sagebrush. It is essential to get a good draw from cooking steam up and out. I don't like the sounds of a fan over my head when sleeping ...so having it on out the cool air comes in over your head. IMO ... which at 5 cents can't even get you a coffee
I like the idea. I actually have a fan sound machine when sleeping at home, but since I travel with cargo (motorcycle) I suspect I will want to be able to hear if someone is cutting security devices, lol.

Do you cook inside? If so, then I would say over the stove area or as close as possible. If you don't cook inside then maybe consider a fan blowing right on you from a fairly close distance. Personally I am not sure I want to be that close to the fan while sleeping.

BlueSky said:
Do you cook inside? If so, then I would say over the stove area or as close as possible. If you don't cook inside then maybe consider a fan blowing right on you from a fairly close distance. Personally I am not sure I want to be that close to the fan while sleeping.
I cook a fair amount. I will spending 2 months in this rig for some "snow-birding". Sounds at night don't bother me, I actually like the droning sound because it's constant. But as I'll have a motorcycle outside, I will want to be more alert. I was also thinking about attaching a smaller fan in the anchoring access door down below to try and maximize airflow.

We cook inside only when not in big bear country. (Then only food outside the camper). If you are worried more about humans than cooking inside is even better. Where we go nobody would go after the bike.

Agree with all of the above. If you do any cooking, even boiling water you should exhaust the water vapor, but on a really hot night the fan over the bed is priceless so that might be my first choice. . . but considering everything we bought for added comfort, not to mention the total cost of the rig, two fans were worth it for us.

Sagebrusher said:
Agree with all of the above. If you do any cooking, even boiling water you should exhaust the water vapor, but on a really hot night the fan over the bed is priceless so that might be my first choice. . . but considering everything we bought for added comfort, not to mention the total cost of the rig, two fans were worth it for us.
A nice rationale. If I had confidence in the equipment I would have bought 2 fans straight away. Which fan do you have out of curiosity?

over the cooking area. We have it blowing out on hot nights and open only the window where out heads are in the bed, which gets cool outside air flowing over us.... love it.

Vic Harder said:
over the cooking area. We have it blowing out on hot nights and open only the window where out heads are in the bed, which gets cool outside air flowing over us.... love it.
+1
ding ding ding

This works fo us also. I installed one of the PWM speed controllers discussed in other threads here so that we have finer speed control than the standard Low, Medium, High. Most of the time a very slow and quiet speed exhausts all the moisture laden air when heating water.

Paul

Vic Harder said:
Neat Idea, I'm going with this.

Ours is over the cooking area and works well for pulling air through the windows at the bed area. Don't think that I'd want the fan directly over the sleeping area because of the noise being so close.

We opted for two fans. The newer MaxAir models are so quiet.
If we only had one I would put it over the stove if you cook inside.

My take on fans is the primary use is to vent moisture...not to pull in or push out air in an attempt to drop inside temp...if inside is hot, most probably outside temps are high...moisture inside is a pain to deal with; heat will dissipate quicker than water..

I use Vic's arrangement, even though we have two fans, passive venting with any or all of the 4 windows in the fabric sides does the job most of the time...if no air movement outside, then on come fans...

Hey, different strokes for different folks... :cool:

Phil

Wallowa said:
My take on fans is the primary use is to vent moisture...not to pull in or push out air in an attempt to drop inside temp...if inside is hot, most probably outside temps are high...moisture inside is a pain to deal with; heat will dissipate quicker than water..

I use Vic's arrangement, even though we have two fans, passive venting with any or all of the 4 windows in the fabric sides does the job most of the time...if no air movement outside, then on come fans...

Hey, different strokes for different folks... :cool:

Phil
VIc and you are onto something. This is what I'll do. Thanks for the input.

Mderou said:
A nice rationale. If I had confidence in the equipment I would have bought 2 fans straight away. Which fan do you have out of curiosity?
Sorry for the delay Mderou, out camping. We have 2 Fantastic fans, but considering a MaxAir replacement over the bed. We also prefer passive venting, followed by gentle air pulled by a fan through the window by our heads most the time, but if it is really hot . . .

Back
Top Bottom