If You Could Live Anywhere...

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Where would it be...?

We are contemplating a move once family obligations are done. I love my native state of Oregon, but as I age, feel the effects of arthritis, and miss the sun, I think about moving. Southern Utah or Colorado, Northern Arizona or New Mexico, and maybe even Southern Nevada are all possibilities. I suspect that we will always keep a house in Oregon, but I'd like to see more of the west before it's time to hang up the hat.

If it were you, what would you choose?

For all the problems my state of California has, I am staying. Some of the best weather in the world. Central valley works for me, 100 miles and I can be on the beach or in the Sierra's. If I want to camp in the winter I am a day's drive from the desert.

Life is good.

Bill

Excellent question that has been on my mind a lot lately and I can only tell you how I look at it. I've determined that no single place has it all for me, so I making plans based on where I want to be stationary for the longest part of the year and travel the rest of the time. I have my criteria and and an open mind, but before it all comes together I need to travel the world and experience more places. The wife really likes her job and isn't ready to quit so we don't get too far for too long these days.

Bill, I understand what you say about California, but the sheer numbers of people are what put me off. You have wonderful and beautiful natural resources, but the competition from the hoards is too much.

Llamas, I agree. As I mentioned, we will probably keep a home in Oregon, but we won't be there during the gray months.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Bill, I understand what you say about California, but the sheer numbers of people are what put me off. You have wonderful and beautiful natural resources, but the competition from the hoards is too much.
As much as I like it here in California, it is the hordes that are getting to me. Maybe not so much the numbers but the lack of ethics (such as Ted described) is what wears on me, especially when I find them in a place so dear to me. I believe a new sub species of human may be evolving. I've got an answer to the original question but I'm not saying where it is. :D

Okay, I thought about this for a while, especially since I retired and the answer is sort of like the problem Ted had camping this weekend-lot's of answers-no real right one. I live at the interface of the most western edge of the northern great basin and the northwest plateau and both the Sierras and the Cascades-can see the basin out my living room window and hear the wind blowing thru the trees. But, I love the coast and a power 5-6 drive and I'm there, sitting on the coast, several times a year-to clear the rabbit brush out of my system and get a dose of salt. I've lived here for over 30 years, I like the seasons, the snow and the hot summers, but the arthritis is killing me of late, but am I ready to move to Arizona or New Mexico, except for highZ and others I've meet on this site, I know no one there-I was stationed there for a while in the army, and it was nice-but along way from the coast.

The coast, for years I wanted to move to Elk-north of Fort Bragg, or the Rockport area north of there. But without a lady, or friends in the area, starting over would be hard, but temping! Thru this site I've been introduced to the central and southern Oregon coasts, and other nice areas out there, and I've still got time to look. Okay over all these years I've seen many places, from central Nevada to most of Oregon, California and the East Coast and places in between-and I think I could live anywhere out there, small town whatever even one of those famous one stop places on 50 or in NS Oregon-or anywhere in the desert, coast or mountains and be happy---if I had to, but that's not your question, so I've got new siding, windows and roof, it's getting cold out there now but my place is warm-warmer than it's ever been, and I have a nice deck to watch the habitat I've created here-deer, birds and nature, what ever, when I can not drive that FWC anymore-home I guess is where I'm at, but I'll still keep doing what I do now-drive, look enjoy and maybe, I'll find that place-maybe I'll end up in Fields, or Austin, the Lost Coast, maybe the Oregon coast, or still be here in Susanville. Not much of an answer, so many places to see and I can still drive-so I can't worry about yet. Home is where you are!

Smoke

ski3pin said:
As much as I like it here in California, it is the hordes that are getting to me. Maybe not so much the numbers but the lack of ethics (such as Ted described) is what wears on me, especially when I find them in a place so dear to me. I believe a new sub species of human may be evolving. I've got an answer to the original question but I'm not saying where it is. :D
2X!

Smoke

ski3pin said:
. ...Snip... I've got an answer to the original question but I'm not saying where it is. :D
Hmmmm, I guess I'll have to get the black helicopters (silent rotors) out to see where you go... :D

South-central British Columbia. Not crowded, great cross-country skiing, good birding, some great camping, and some nice folks.

I was lucky to have been born here in the very northwest part of washington; my family arrived here before statehood. But, hubby has arthritis and COPD so we have been discussing possible relocations. I love the desert but would miss the saltwater. It is either wet and cold and dry and colder. I am not a fan of California hordes, nor hordes anywhere. We were invaded by Californians about 20 years ago or so because of their housing boom buying a lot more up here. And, I can't blame them because a California friend of mine said that back in the 50s and 60s there was an onslaught of cars from our area chasing the sun and the good life. Towns we have liked were: Panguitch, UT; Florence, OR; Bishop, CA; Springdale, UT; Lakeview, OR; Alturas, CA. Just need to do more exploring to decide. But, then, I am not fond of the thought of moving from our 6 acre piece of Paradise near a city always on the "Best City to …." lists which have brought the entitled hordes. But, maybe it is time.

Like others, I've pondered this question.

If you want help, try the site below. You answer a ton of questions and it responds with a list of places that meet your criteria. They you load up the camper and go on a long road trip!

Kevin

www.findyourspot.com

The idea of the 'find your spot' site was pretty darned cool... until I got to the very end. Decided against it. Any others give it a try?

KILR0Y said:
The idea of the 'find your spot' site was pretty darned cool... until I got to the very end. Decided against it. Any others give it a try?
x2... No thanks on providing the marketing fodder. I agree, the concept is great.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
x2... No thanks on providing the marketing fodder. I agree, the concept is great.
I had the same reaction. Clever marketing/data mining concept. Not something I want to participate in. As to the OP's question, I have had thoughts for years of relocating. Our kids are both on the west coast. But narrowing it down to a specific place is very difficult. Every one has tradeoffs associated with it. Utimately, you just have to pick one and go for it. Then, like others have said, use the camper to go other places, haha.

Many Americans (or humans in general) are content living in that same ole place they've lived their entire lives, and the lives of their families living before them. Being a career military man, I've been used to moving around and traveling to places I'd have never visited without the armed forces. Add to that, I'm a wanderer just like the rest of you...

Home is where you feel happy, with ones that you love and enjoy spending time with. To answer the OP, I guess just about anywhere as long as it has mountains, rivers, lakes, hiking, wildlife, and nature in general. Access to the city is always a plus, but in general I try (like many of you) to avoid the hordes.

Great topic, and great to see what others are saying/feeling.

It's not so much ,where do i want to live,it's where do i want to visit.
I feel fortunate to have a home in a place I enjoy living.The weather is IMO great.Not too hot nor too cold,just right.
Lots of things to do here and always the road still leads out of the area.
Would we want to live in Spain with my daughter?Well that would be nice but I don't think we would like it full time.We can always visit.
Do we want to live in SF near our daughter,there again not really we can visit.
We are also fortunate to have good health and our small family also.I think that is enough to ask for.
We in our country are pretty much free to go anywhere we put our minds to.
There are so many beautiful places out there.Sure we have to share them and times with assholes like Ted ran into.But I refuse to let that get me down.
Be happy where you live and get out and enjoy the world.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Just my rambling 2$ worth.
I know it's early,but have great holidays and enjoy family and friends and travel.
Frank

Not sure where I'd want to be. I do love the sun and the rain is getting old. The older I get the more I loath winter around here. I think if I were bold enough to make a change, I'd make a lifestyle change and I would no longer need a truck, camper, and boat.

Here are a couple of sites you might find helpful, if not just interesting.

http://www.city-data.com is jam packed with information not just on cities, but towns also. There are several dozen towns in Idaho with populations under 6000 people. There is also a forum where you can get current information. Good site

http://www.pnwadventures.com/forum/where-explore/ is a forum that gets pretty good activity and stays fairly current. Worth a look once in a while. Pacific Northwest oriented.

I suppose anyone who has lived in one area for 58 years, as have I, is likely to have done so because they like it a lot. Such is the case for my native North Carolina. We enjoy an overall quality of life, 4 seasons, excellent schools and universities, excellent health care, an excellent highway system,and here in Raleigh, we're but 3 hours from either the coast or the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The throngs of people from other regions flocking to Raleigh over the last 50 years can't all be wrong, after all.

That said, my wife of 35 years and I have often daydreamed about living elsewhere. The Boone, NC area is high on the list, as we have lifelong friends who are certain to one day soon retire there, and since it's where I spent 5 memorable years earning a 4-year degree in geology (Boy, were the early- to mid-1970s fun times!). Of other locales, we're very fond of Missoula, Montana's "Garden City". Relatively low elevation spares Missoula of some of winter's worst ravages, and the University community is vibrant. We like Philipsburg, MT a great deal, also, but its elevation of 5,300' brings winter with a vengance, and it's too far from high-quality health care for retirement consideration.

The grand total of 2 weeks we've spent in California since 2007, visiting our Navy son near Ventura, and my sister's long-term residency near Santa Cruz, have provided us with strong impressions, both good and bad. It's a huge state, absolutely full of natural wonders to explore and enjoy. We tend to agree with opinions expressed herein, however, as to the population. There are far, far too many residents, and we find the culture, at least the urban/suburban culture we've been exposed to in SouCal and the Silicon Valley area, to be far too fast-paced and, quite frankly, rude. Our military son, being a man of few words, often says it best. When asked how he liked being stationed in California, he replied: "I love California. I don't care a bit for Californians, though. There are too many of them and they treat us (military) like crap".

Foy

Back
Top Bottom