If You Could Live Anywhere...

Foy, I'd like to visit North Carolina. We've traced the family back to the Deep River area in Guilford County to around the 1740's. I've got a few photos of the family mill before it was taken out to build a dam. Perhaps one of these days I'll bump into you on our travels.

Parsons - Freeman Mill
3498481873_c2d2344172.jpg

3499297804_189c311986.jpg

WS-
Completely cool. The Deep River is a headwater stream for the Cape Fear River and is solidly in the Piedmont region of NC. Likely the mill dam was taken out and flooded by the Randleman Dam, completed and filled just a few years back. Just a few miles downstream of the new dam is Franklinville, NC, where another dam survives in a cool old mill town. On the planning books is a lenghty "rails to trails" greenway along the Deep River for many miles downstream of that dam, with a "blueway" paddle-trail along the river paralleling the greenway. The wife and I do a lot of cycling on Raleigh's stellar greenway system, now including +30 miles along the Neuse River, all the way from Falls Lake to Clayton, NC, in the next county downstream. We can thus do +60 miles of mostly flat, paved and fully-protected road cycling from a single access point just 15 minutes from our home, and only 20 minutes from the State Capitol Square. Other segments of Raleigh's greenway system encircle the city for a +25 mile loop, with links to a 5,000 acre state park, a 27 mile rail-trail south of Durham, and into the neighboring towns of Durham, Cary, and Apex. There is much to do for the outdoor enthusiast, and within close enough range to dine and spend the night at home after a long day afield.

Foy

Enjoyed four seasons for 24 years in Spokane, Wa. Loved exploring the PNW. But having seasoned, the 3-4 months of winter cold became too much. So like the saying goes, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen or in my case the freezer.
I'm in Carpinteria, Ca. now. It's mostly about the weather here… never too hot or cold.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/carpinteria-ca/93013/hourly-weather-forecast/2154385
I easily walk to anywhere in town year around. Within a days drive... Amazing ! California has it all.
Stay focused on the positives and you'll be happy in your new location.

I pondered this question in 1986 when I felt San Diego was getting too crowded for my Colorado upbringing. I wanted to be closer to the mountains for skiing, fishing and mountain lifestyle. My (former) wife and I decided to take a six month sabbatical and find a new town. We traveled the west in our VW camper, touring UT, CO, WY and BC climbing a number of classics. Our last month we returned to CA to check out Chico, Bishop, Auburn, etc.

We ended up in the Sierra Gold Country, living in Nevada City/Grass Valley, former mining towns about 30-45 mins north of I-80. My son was born and raised in our small town. It's the kind of place where you always know someone at the store. The area is a bit top-heavy with retirees, but they provide work for my remodeling company, so no complaints. I avoid Sacramento traffic and rarely go down the hill. We have access to good swimming in the river during the hot summers, with alpine hiking about an hour away. Wintertime I can XC ski in half an hour up the hill or get to Donner Summit in an hour. With our camper, we can hit the 395 East Side playground frequently. Ft. Bragg coastal adventures are the other direction, about five hours travel.
Life is good here.

I enjoyed Lighthawks discussion on choosing his home in the Gold Country. It is similar to how I choose to live in the Sierra Nevada. It is pretty darn nice here.

Years ago when we made our first trip into Wyoming's Wind River Range we fell in love with the small town of Pinedale. The setting is incredible. It had a real small town, rural, ranching feel to it. Faler's Store looked like its priority was selling to the local community. We figured winters could be brutal but the payoffs in the immense wilderness close by would be worth it. Besides, we like winter. We talked about moving. It was a dream. This was before camper days and we moteled up before hitting the trailhead. We always stayed at the Sundance Motel. A couple from California owned it and operated it through the summer season. They worked hard. It was reasonably priced. The woman made homemade fudge and sold it in the lobby. It was a great small town feeling. Everyone greeted us on the street. This was a place we could fit in.

We returned every few years. I believe the last time was 2007. The changes we saw over the years to our "dream" broke our hearts. There were trophy houses along all the ridge lines. The natural gas and oil boom had hit. Housing and motel rooms were short. Prices were sky high ($140 for our old $50 room). The couple had sold out at the height, good for them. Hope they are enjoying a great retirement. The new owner was rude and impersonal. He was riding the boom. Big box motels were going up on both ends of town. The stores now focused on tourists and out of town workers. It was crowded. Our dream was gone.

We could live anywhere we want. We made a good choice where we are. It is fun to dream, but be careful with those dreams. Things change.

Ski - Good point, things do change. I've lived in Oregon my whole life and seen those changes. What used to be a relatively small "Farm/Ag" town is now the center of Oregons Napa Valley and all of the things that go with it. It's still Ag based...but it's different. I still have to work and having been here a while, packing up and moving isn't really an option. The good thing is I'm an hour from the coast, 2 hours from the Cascades, and 3 or 4 hours from central oregon where a guy can still escape the masses. I'm also 1/2hr to 2 hours from good fishing which was how I kinda ended up here.

I've been lucky to have been to the east coast. Lot's of nice places but I don't think I could live there. I've been through the SW and there are some great places there like Utah and parts of Arizona but they are too far away from the ocean. I've thought about Texas also, around Austin, which I liked but there doesn't seem to much public land. N. Cali has a lot to offer, but it's California. ;) Being a sun chaser and enjoy-er of more tropical climates, the Caribbean is in the top 2 or 3 on my list if I could live anywhere. Probably not realistic tho. Maui is probably my #1 spot as if fills all of my criteria. On my last visit I looked at jobs there and there were a few that I'm qualified for and had a more than reasonable shot at. Which is why I said it's be a complete change of lifestyle for me...no need for a camper, truck, or jetboat on rock in the middle of the pacific.

Great topic. I'm lucky enough with my job that I can live anywhere. We're currently on the front range in CO, and being a small-town Wyoming kid originally, I hate it. There's too many people jostling for the same finite outdoor resources. I'm soured on colorado, at least the front range. My better half is originally from Red Lodge, MT and we're contemplating moving there. We spend a lot of time up there. Beautiful summers as the gateway to Yellowstone, and the best stretch of highway in the U.S. to take on a motorcycle. However, the winters are cold and long as well. It's a ski town that hasn't gotten ruined yet with a really good core of locals that make things fun. That may be where we wind up. After traveling through oregon, I started looking around the rogue river valley. Absolutely beautiful country, and reasonable riverfront prices. I lived in Austin in college and for a few years after, and the hill country is a pretty neat area. We spend probably 20-30 days a year in moab just on quick mountain biking trips. Housing is relatively inexpensive there considering the tourism market. I've thought about acreage around Fruita, CO on the western slope. My problem is that there are too damn many choices...

SeldomSeen said:
Great topic. After traveling through oregon, I started looking around the rogue river valley. Absolutely beautiful country, and reasonable riverfront prices.
That's where I spent a good portion of my life. We had a small riverfront ranch near Eagle Point. The ranch and many surrounding properties are now in the hands of the movie stars and rich. I'm of the opinion the Rogue Valley has become the northern most point of Hollywood.

Another thing to be aware of is the winter inversion that brings freezing fog for a week or two. That said, and whine completed, there is a lot to do in Southern Oregon. It's getting crowded compared to what I remember from the early 50's, but it's pretty, and you can get away from the hoardes.

SeldomSeen said:
My problem is that there are too damn many choices...
Amen brother, I think the same thing... Beautiful world we live in.

My nephew has stage 4 melanoma. He is 36, is married with 3 kids and lives near Sacramento. He is being aggressively treated. My sister lives and works in Honolulu but can't retire for 18 months (Federal pension). She was either going to remain in Hawaii or return to the PNW to be near us. She now wants to relocate to Roseville, CA to be near her son and grandkids. We want to form a family enclave, that is be near each other. I am not fond of beg metropolitan areas. From the BC/WA border to south of Olympia is one big meglopolis. And, we just found out that there will be a 200 home development to the northwest of where we live. The logging trucks are clearing the area now using the dead end road that we live on. We are unsure if the developers will use our road as the egress or off another more developed road in the city limits. Bellingham is expensive and getting too crowded. We had planned to move anyway.

So, how about towns around Sacramento like Grass Valley, Nevada City,etc. I know some of you live around there. Since we don't have poisonous snakes here, I am apprehensive about rattlesnakes. We garden, walk/hike, photograph and rockhound. What do you like about these towns? I checked out real estate and prices don't seem any more than here. CoL, too. Hubby needs drier air for COPD and arthritis. Summers seem to be warmer and winters colder and drier except for snow? This location would place us near places we like to explore like Nevada, North Cal, Utah, Central and Eastern Oregon, etc. And, we wouldn't have to drive through the mess that is I-5 through Seattle/Tacoma. But, having webbed toes from being around salt water all my life, I would miss the ocean. Salt water is a 10 minute drive from our home. But, unlike California and Oregon, Washington's beaches are not public except for parks.

Can anyone enlighten us? Thanks for your help and a very travel-filled New Year!

The west side of the Sierras is to hot and has to many people for me, but it's close to allot of things like the ocean and good skiing. The Lighthawks live in Nevada City and seem to like it there; places like Truckee and Placerville can get crowded at certain times of the year but they are not as hot as the west side.. Me, its the east side of the Sierras, close to Reno if you need something and real close to the desert and only about 5-6 hours to the coast. Anywhere from Alturas south to Bridgeport is nice; I've been in Susanville for over 30 years and while we seem to have stopped having a heavy winter of late, it does my malaria well, love the dry heat, and four seasons &b we are close and close to Reno if i need something. You could think about some of the smaller towns along the coast Highway 1, always loved Point Arena, Manchester, Elk and places to the north past Fort Bragg-look at Shelter Cove if you really want to get lost, more like cut off from the world. Most of the larger coast towns both north and south of SF(Fort Bragg, Santa Cruz places like that. are both getting crowded and expensive! Still lot's of surprises there-now there is place, Cederville in the Surprise Valley of NE California-makes Alturas look big time.

Snakes -Rattlers -yep got 'em here, just have to wear boots and watch where you step or sit or/and have a dog that understands about snakes. There are lots of little towns out there-been seeing them allot in my wanderings -maybe find a nice place near Sacramento and explore from there until you find that "perfect" place-lot's of nice places to look at, from Oregon south and West thru Nevada and south to the central coast. The search is one of the best parts of looking!

That help?

Smoke

Wow. Sounds like a major life change for you. My best wishes go to your nephew and all your family. I'm afraid I can't help much with towns close to Sacramento. I imagine this might be way too far away, but I always thought Dunsmuir might be a good place to live, if I had to move back to California. Let us know what you decide to do.

I've only run into rattlesnakes a handful of times. Not something to worry about too much. A place like Nevada City is nice. It does snow but usually doesn't accumulate much. You can still hit the ocean in under three hours. Theres a lot of towns I'd consider if I were retired. Unfortunately job prospects in most of the small towns are poor at best.

clikrf8 said:
My nephew has stage 4 melanoma. He is 36, is married with 3 kids and lives near Sacramento. He is being aggressively treated. My sister lives and works in Honolulu but can't retire for 18 months (Federal pension). She was either going to remain in Hawaii or return to the PNW to be near us. She now wants to relocate to Roseville, CA to be near her son and grandkids. We want to form a family enclave, that is be near each other. I am not fond of beg metropolitan areas. From the BC/WA border to south of Olympia is one big meglopolis. And, we just found out that there will be a 200 home development to the northwest of where we live. The logging trucks are clearing the area now using the dead end road that we live on. We are unsure if the developers will use our road as the egress or off another more developed road in the city limits. Bellingham is expensive and getting too crowded. We had planned to move anyway.

So, how about towns around Sacramento like Grass Valley, Nevada City,etc. I know some of you live around there. Since we don't have poisonous snakes here, I am apprehensive about rattlesnakes. We garden, walk/hike, photograph and rockhound. What do you like about these towns? I checked out real estate and prices don't seem any more than here. CoL, too. Hubby needs drier air for COPD and arthritis. Summers seem to be warmer and winters colder and drier except for snow? This location would place us near places we like to explore like Nevada, North Cal, Utah, Central and Eastern Oregon, etc. And, we wouldn't have to drive through the mess that is I-5 through Seattle/Tacoma. But, having webbed toes from being around salt water all my life, I would miss the ocean. Salt water is a 10 minute drive from our home. But, unlike California and Oregon, Washington's beaches are not public except for parks.

Can anyone enlighten us? Thanks for your help and a very travel-filled New Year!
I've lived in Roseville for 35 years and it's a nice town as far as suburbs go,if you like living in the suburbs. My personal preference would be Weimar/Colfax area to Grass Valley/Nevada city.

My sister is more of an urban dweller; we are rural and have been at the same home for 32 years on 6 acres. I moved out in the county 40 years ago after college. Even Bellingham was too urban. Bellingham is a great place to live: it is always on the best this or that place to live, for recreation, entrepreneurs, dogs, etc. It was wonderful growing up fishing Bellingham Bay and skiing/hiking on Mt. Baker. But, it has become too crowded. The area north of town has become one long strip mall/big box ghetto catering to hoards of Canadians.

Thanks for all the suggestions and answers. I have started a folder with docs and images so I can have info at hand. All your answers are entered in a pdf file. I have done more research and there are many small towns tucked into the western Sierras so when we travel down that way in late March/early April and/or mid May until early June we will check them out. Hopefully,in May, we will make it to the Expedition Expo then explore our way back.

I would prefer Corvallis but it would be nice to live nearer to my sister, nephew and family.

I hope we can meet some of you, maybe at the Expo or out in the boonies.

clikrf8 said:
<snip>
I have done more research and there are many small towns tucked into the western Sierras so when we travel down that way in late March/early April and/or mid May until early June we will check them out.
That's one of the secrets of the west slope or the lower Mother Lode area - above the fog and below the snow - lots of small communities. Yes the area is growing but so is everywhere else. Really take your time and talk with as many folks as you can. There is much really nice culture and people about. There are old timers, some weird folks looking to hide away - agriculture may be involved, lots of city folks retirees looking for the good life, and much in between. But, you can find a nice place to live. Really do your homework, as it sounds like you are. Best wishes.

clikrf8 said:
I would prefer Corvallis but it would be nice to live nearer to my sister, nephew and family.

I hope we can meet some of you, maybe at the Expo or out in the boonies.
Corvallis would be a pretty good choice; not far from the coast, far enough off Interstate 5, it still has a clean and vibrant downtown and it's home to Oregon State University. Like everywhere else it is growing. Brownsville, in the foothills east of the freeway is also a nice town and area. We live about 30 minutes south of Corvallis and go up there several time a year.

Talk to the locals and even cops. When we first moved to Sonora, we almost bought a great place, very remote, off grid. Come to find out it is the pot growing capital of the county. Peace officers won't go in unless in convoy. But there are great communities in the Sierra Nevada. Sonora is just 2 hours from Sacramento, and we have the best theater company around. Better than the Broadway stuff I saw recently. Key in to that above the fog, below the snow thing. Really important for ease of living.

Thank-you all for your responses. They have helped me to decide where to check out a great place to live. Aren't we lucky that we can pick and choose where to live? My favorite landscape photographer, Galen Rowell, who photographed all over the planet, chose Bishop, CA. He said it has everything and was near Death Valley, Yosemite, the gorgeous Eastern Sierras, all sorts of beautiful places. Sadly, he and his wife Barbara died in a plane crash upon their return to Bishop. His studio, Mountain Light Photography, is still in Bishop. He was not only a top notch photographer, but he fixed up an old 4x4 (can't remember the make/model, Scout maybe?) so he could get into the backcountry. Check him out.

I lived In the San Francisco bay area around San Leandro, East Oakland, Hayward and Castro Valley all my life. I now am retired and live in the town of Arnold California Just 3 miles below Calaveras Big Trees State Park off of highway 4, this is a piece of heaven on earth. I have owned a home in Arnold since 1987 and finally moved there full time at the end of November 2000. Easy to get to Nevada and the eastern side of the Sierras during the summer, in the winter not a chance. Highway 4 is closed from the end of September untill Memorial day. We do get snow all the seasons are wonderful. If nothing else check Arnold out you will be surprised. Good hunting Larry

Back
Top Bottom