im new here! looking to see (or not) if this is a fair deal

sameheller

we're 2 adults, 1 kid (20 mo) currently still facing backwards in a carseat, and a med size dog.

looking at this complete rig. It has a more bells and whistles then we need (dont need toilet, shower) but the whole package is tempting.

Ideally we'd find a Fleet with a rollover couch for our kid to sleep safely but wondering if anybody has a similar rig and family.

Is the single bed (east/west dinette) safe enough for a kid to sleep on or too narrow?

I have a 04 tacoma that I will be selling to fit a carseat (sigh) but not sure if the double cab will fit both a backwards carseat and dog in cab (maybe a question for a tacoma thread)

I've watched a few videos on things to look out for when buying a used FWC but wanted to see if any seasoned folks here have some tips.

https://monterey.craigslist.org/for/d/monterey-2016-four-wheel-camper-fleet/7667383583.html

thanks for any help.

PS - if anyone in central california is interested in a 04 PreRunner tacoma, it'll be hitting the market soon (another topic for a tacoma thread probably..)

kids grow. That truck/camper combo you linked to seems like a very (very) good deal, but keep in mind that you will likely be selling it in a few years as the family grows.

We've found that usable outdoor space is key to keeping sane with more people in a camper. We use a 12' CLAM brand cook shelter to provide that space.... Awnings work too.

If it's as represented that won't last long.

It would be simple to rig a safety bar for the bed.

The owner is being honest about fuel economy.

The double cab has enough room for a child to grow.

Ditto on Vic's comment about outdoor space. We are/were backpackers who wanted to sleep off the ground sometimes so we know the routine for packing light. After a couple of years of FWC ownership we started stripping out some of the furnishings that came with the camper to open things up a little on the inside. We normally live outside and use the FWC for sleeping and some light cooking, but the real value to us is having a dry place during inclement weather to sleep, cook and lounge if the outdoors is not acceptable. That opened up our travels beyond places where we go backpacking and gave us options for rain and cold.

Re the truck...I have concerns about the Fleet on a Taco double cab with a six-foot bed. It's just be my personal phobia regarding vehicle GVW but I think that config has a payload of 1,175lb. And I think that's calculated with just the driver in that number. Add 950lb camper, kid seat and stuff, passengers, camping gear, water, propane, full frig, and you are probably way beyond GVW. Some people are comfortable with that. Personal preference there. Manufacture specs for braking performance does not apply if overweight. Unfortunately the best way around that is a bigger truck and you may not want to go in that direction. I found that unlike backpacking where you have limited ability to either carry more weight or pack it, you can almost always find a place in the truck for some little extra stuff that you might or might not need on the trip. It's a luxury to do that, but it also incrementally adds to the weight without a reality check (ie - my backpack is would be way too heavy).

The Fleet you linked is narrow in the first few feet of entry because of the sink and furnace on one side and frig on the other. That config wouldn't be to my taste but it might be acceptable for you. If you really wanted a more simple unit with a rollover couch you might want to keep looking.

With only 150 watts on the roof, I'd question how long the batteries will last if they are powering the frig and you need to use the heater at night. The ad doesn't state the size of the batteries. But you can add more panels if needed for your requirements (and that adds a few more pounds of weight). Outdoor shower might be nice for a quick hose down of the kid. Hot water is a luxury if that's what you want or need, but it does add some weight for the heater and puts more demand on your potential water usage.

Again, take all this from a personal perspective which may not apply to your own situation. If it's still for sale, it might be a great rig to use for a couple of years until you figure out what would really fit your needs. Maybe you keep it. Maybe you move on. If it's in good condition you probably won't loose much value if you decide to switch rigs in the future.

Wildcat is absolutely correct regarding GVWR on the Tacoma. As he mentioned, some people are comfortable exceeding that with appropriate suspension, etc.—I've done it myself. But extreme caution is advised, and as you have a child, even more caution is advised.

Thanks all, super helpful. I think we're going to skip this opportunity and wait for a more slilm down version with a rollover couch. We're okay with roughing it (ie no hot water, shower, furnace, other bells and whistles) and only really need a nice dry place to sleep and relax if the weather gets bad.

sameheller said:
Thanks all, super helpful. I think we're going to skip this opportunity and wait for a more slilm down version with a rollover couch. We're okay with roughing it (ie no hot water, shower, furnace, other bells and whistles) and only really need a nice dry place to sleep and relax if the weather gets bad.
If you are interested in a NEW purchase check out AllTerrianCampers for a shell model.
Give them a call and talk to Marty. They are great people to work with and their campers are the best IMO.
I have a Bobcat on a 2002 Tundra AC cab great paring.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
If you are interested in a NEW purchase check out AllTerrianCampers for a shell model.
Give them a call and talk to Marty. They are great people to work with and their campers are the best IMO.
I have a Bobcat on a 2002 Tundra AC cab great paring.

Frank
Another thumbs up for ATC. The ATC team is great to work with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom