In search of OR7, the California wolf.

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Look! There! Donna was pointing.
I looked across the marshy area we were traversing and saw a canine disappear at a run into the forest.
“There were two”, she said. “The first one was bigger.”

We all have favorite interests. For some it is old mining ghost towns. For others it is peaks that must be climbed. One of ours is wolves. They are why we return to Yellowstone regularly. So naturally we have been following the news about OR7, the Oregon wolf that decided to winter in California this year. OR7 is collared and the California Department of Fish and Game has been updating his location as he wanders. CA F&G Using this information we decided to spend the Memorial Day weekend visiting the general area with the unlikely idea that we may just be in the right spot at the right time. Considering that even the state personnel that track OR7 have only been able to get one photo, we knew the odds were similar to winning the lotto. But any excuse to explore and camp is enough for us.

The latest update as of the Friday was he was located in western Lassen County. Normally wolves and coyotes do not get along. But not having any luck finding a female wolf, he has been observed hanging out with coyotes recently. Maps of his previous wanderings put him north of HWY 44 on several occasions. So we saw a possible pattern and it is located in National Forest which allowed us access and camping. The plan was made to find the most remote watering holes in the area and hang out there.

The first two nights were spent northwest of Blacks Mountain. There were some old reservoirs on Beaver Creek. Mostly now they are large meadows with ponds in what used to be the deeper parts. We found a spot on a cattle pond near the reservoirs and settled in. The next day we hiked around the reservoir area. There were waterfowl in the ponds and deer tracks everywhere. This is when we made the sighting noted above. They were gone before we could get the glasses on them. Strange, usually when we see coyotes they are not spooked by humans. These spooked fast.

First camp.
gallery_176_389_77270.jpg

Around the old reservoirs:
gallery_176_389_702723.jpg

gallery_176_389_302123.jpg

Wilson's Phalaropes:
gallery_176_389_145690.jpg

Another favorite interest of my wife’s is the history of the emigrant trails. Trails West does an excellent job of marking many locations where the trails once existed. Our camping site was located close to one of those markers and a homesteading site. We hiked to it in the afternoon. Some of the original log cabin remained as well as much of a more recent dwelling. The large log entries to the site were still standing as are many of the fence remnants. It is hard to imagine hand carving all of the wood used to build the home, corral, and fences.

Trail marker:
gallery_176_389_2142947.jpg

The homesteading site:
gallery_176_389_127582.jpg

gallery_176_389_214238.jpg

gallery_176_389_286470.jpg

gallery_176_389_29331.jpg

The next day the weather had improved so we decided to explore some more of the area. Not too far down the road a coyote crossed the road and kept going until he was out of site at a speed I didn’t know coyotes could go. (Since then I’ve looked it up and they can maintain a speed of about 45 miles per hour for a distance, one of the 10 fastest animals). “He never even looked at us”, Donna noted. “He was already running when he crossed the road. I wonder if he was being chased?” Again, strange behavior for a coyote. We continued on. We found another trail marker and then at a fork in the road saw a sign for a nearby lake. Curious, we headed there.

Another trail marker:
gallery_176_389_229905.jpg

The lake obviously gets few visitors. More of a reed filled pond, the road in was overgrown and had no signs of tire tracks. There were some old fire rings that had not been used in a while. We walked the road first to check it out. The lake is a haven for birdlife. There were several types of ducks, grebes, egrets, swallows, blackbirds, nuthatches, bluebirds, and warblers. We found the place to be quite peaceful and also met our criteria for potential wolf sightings. We decided the road was drivable, maybe with some brush marks, and made this our next camp. Once settled we hiked around the lake. The birds obviously were not used to seeing people. Many disappeared into the reeds, flew away, or just went quiet. Later, when we had been sitting still for a while, the lake came back to life.

Around the lake:

gallery_176_389_150384.jpg

gallery_176_389_145195.jpg

gallery_176_389_144524.jpg

Yellow rumped warbler:

gallery_176_389_23536.jpg

Our camp on the lake:

gallery_176_389_106164.jpg

Monday we packed up and reluctantly headed home. It had been a good weekend. We found some nice places to camp. We never saw or heard another person out in the forest. Did we see OR7? We observed strange coyote behavior. There was that one bigger canine that ran into the woods. Could it have been? The latest Fish and Game update after the weekend says he still in western Lassen County. We’ll continue to watch the OR7 route map. When they post his routes for those dates (purposely delayed to protect the wolf) we’ll be able to approximate if he was there when we were. Even if that is the case, with just a quick glimpse at a distance, we’ll never know for sure.

Yellow rumped warbler:

Gosh, thought you might have heard me sing once. :oops:

Great trip Teds! Looks like a full quota of fun and adventure. That big one, it was OR7.

Nothing better than a good trip to Lassen County-course it'd be my home, nice picture guys, wish I was out there looking for OR-7 with you, hope he finds love -remember all those wolf hy-breads in the Madaline Plains, maybe he'll find love there. Saw a picture of his dead brother up in Idaho at the local gunshop here -that's my worry about him some redneck nut shoots him just cause they can and you know them types haw haw shot me a wolf-government ain't gonna tell me what to do. His brother was a big animal-to bad he wondered into Idaho-heard some stories about how they take care of endangered species up there. Sorry if i offended anyone in Idaho, but Me I like wolfs and would not mind hearing them when I'm out and about!

Smoke

Just checked the Ca F&G site, OR-7 is (was) around Ash Creek-that's nice country, steep then drops into Ash Creek Valley meadow, lot's of lope in that country. If I remember right there is a little CG near Ash Creek (i think there was good fishing there once)-in the Valley-used to be some active pot stands on the Pit River/Beaver Creek area near ACV, don't know if they are active anymore, we busted several on BLM years ago, but who knows what's going today ! Nice are if OR-t likes lope!

Smoke

How cool. I hope they have a successful mating and produce a litter. Glad he found a mate so he can wander and not be lonely.

Back
Top Bottom