Indiana Backroad Gems

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
We decided to get one last trip in before putting the camper in storage. On Friday we followed US Highway 421 North through farm fields to our first stop in Delphi, IN (Wabash & Erie Canal Interpretive Center). On Saturday we continued North on US 421 to just North of Medaryville, IN. to see the Sandhill Cranes during their southern migration. Following our stop we followed 421 to its end in Michigan City, IN where we visited with a close friend before heading home on Sunday. Click on the link to read our story and you will understand why they are some of Indiana's Backroad Gems.

Indiana Backroad Gems

Enjoy our blog report. Click on the photos to enlarge. jd

Nice short trip. We still have a couple spots where the canal was. Someone found remains of a lock [ to lift boats] in a wooded area, but I forgot where the woods are. This is in Terre Haute

Very nice, John. I'm something of a "buff" when it comes to canal navigation in the 18th and 19th centuries, so this has particular meaning to me. Thanks for sharing!

Foy

Looks like a good weekend. Those old canal parks are interesting. I've been to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park- commemorates the Ohio- Erie Canal system. Thanks for your report!

John, this was wonderful! Such interesting history of the canal system. Thanks for including that. That was an excellent quick trip for you two. Here's to many more! :)

Lot of familiar places in that report, thanks! I was born in Fort Wayne and lived in LaPorte until college graduation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom