Inexpensive under bed cushion air-flow ideas?

hoyden

Lady Bug
My camper is off the truck and I probably won't use it for a little while. I didn't take the bed cushion out and wondering what would work for air-flow under the cushion?
Inexpensive, MacGyver-y ideas would be great ;)

thanks!

The least expensive idea is to remove the mattress from the camper. You will probably need to pop the top to get it out

On ours, a few years ago, we left the mattress with sleeping bag on the bed in the camper in the off season and we got some mold on the wooden ceiling strips above the bed. There was no mold underneath the mattress.

Paul

Yikes! I hadn't considered moisture above the bed cushion.
Dammit, Paul! I think you are right.
I'll remove it.

I had a similar experience as Paul T. His advice is spot on and in line with FWC.

FWC recommends in the Camper manual to remove the mattress from the overcab area during long storage and place it in the aisle of the camper (or someplace dry).

Regards,

Craig

Well, I took the mattress out just now with a friend's help. It's awkward. Now I gotta find a place to store it!

We slide ours back towards the camper door, laying on the sink/stove area and the table. Plenty of air flow that way! Also pop the top every few weeks with vents open, and plug in the shore power to top off the battery.

Knoxswift... it appears dri-dek comes in 2 thickness one for patio etc, one for boat use(Amazon listings)... which did you use? and do you cover the entire (pulled out) bed mattress area? if so, how do you store extra matting when bed is collapsed back to riding position? Looks like about $150(24 pieces @Amazon price) to cover the entire pulled out length / width of the bed area (we have a 2016 Fleet).

Notice any problems/differences with decking under your mattresses when sleeping? Do you notice any moisture (areas needing to be toweled) after sleeping?

Has anyone else out there used dri-dek under your bed mattress to prevent moisture buildup? looks like a good solution, but want to get more feedback for the $150 cost... thanks

scappoosebrad said:
Knoxswift... it appears dri-dek comes in 2 thickness one for patio etc, one for boat use(Amazon listings)... which did you use? and do you cover the entire (pulled out) bed mattress area? if so, how do you store extra matting when bed is collapsed back to riding position? Looks like about $150(24 pieces @Amazon price) to cover the entire pulled out length / width of the bed area (we have a 2016 Fleet).

Notice any problems/differences with decking under your mattresses when sleeping? Do you notice any moisture (areas needing to be toweled) after sleeping?

Has anyone else out there used dri-dek under your bed mattress to prevent moisture buildup? looks like a good solution, but want to get more feedback for the $150 cost... thanks
They make a 9/16ths version, the Truck Version.
https://www.dri-dek.com/pages/truck

9/16 with 2 100% Wool Blankets and a bed sheet closes the top just fine.

The air gap of 9/16ths was surprisingly effective!
I was worried it wasn't enough air gap. Warmer sleeping was noticeable being just that little bit off the cold plywood. My test was a 2 week trip to MO and another to rainy OR. Both trips I found no need to wipe down. Though in OR I was running the exhaust fan just because of the Rain condensation on walls.

I bought enough for Full Bed though we can pull the FWC bed out to Queen Size. We have 4 cushions to make it a queen but only ever use 2 cushions. If I did require the queen on rare occasion that would be over the center of the camper so not so much concerned about any condensation or cold draft from that area the problem area is just the cab over which is Full Size bed measurements.

Which brings up the one down side, sometimes the little nubs hang up pushing the bed back in however you just lift the dri-dek up a little and push then it goes in fine. For me not a big deal. I also store my Rear Awning in the bed cushion area when driving so I really only have to push it in a few inches not a fully collapsed so again the Full Bed measurements worked for me.

I'm loading up the camper for a Christmas trip, if you like I can take some pictures over the next few days?

Just ordered some dri-dek. Cheaper to order through their website than amazon. Better to support the "little guy" as well, although everyone's smaller than amazon.

Best price is directly from dri-dek. It was under $200 a little more expensive because I bought the beveled edges...I would say the edges are not really needed but it makes a perfect fit in my FWC Eagle without any trimming of tiles.

Thanks knoxswift..yes would enjoy some photos ... also curious to know what you paid for your pads... have a safe enjoyable Xmas trip.

EDIT: To add pictures...You can see I don't reach the hight of the wall even with the 9/16" of tiles. which leaves enough room for blankets and closing the roof. You can also see where I store my awning so I never really have to close the bed fully.
20181221_063741_resized.jpg
20181221_063754_resized.jpg
20181221_063807_resized.jpg
20181221_064133_resized.jpg

Knox,

So the FWC mattress is on top of the Dri-Dek...I assume it does not negatively affect your comfort...I like the concept of creating a dead air space which would improve insulation...

Thanks for photos...

Wallowa said:
Knox,

So the FWC mattress is on top of the Dri-Dek...I assume it does not negatively affect your comfort...I like the concept of creating a dead air space which would improve insulation...

Thanks for photos...
I didn't notice any negative difference in comfort. I do believe I don't get as chilled being off the plywood.

knoxswift...
thanks for the photos and f/up... could you please restate your cost / area covered with your purchase...your first try at a cost was a bogus entry... thanks

Back
Top Bottom