Inexpensive under bed cushion air-flow ideas?

Late to the party here, but another option is a product called Marine Hypervent (or similar products) http://www.hyperventmarine.com/products.html.

Very lightweight, 3/4" thick. Hypervent is recommended in many RV and marine forums and is what I use. It's a bit expensive, about a $80-90 to cover the over-cab portion of my Fleet bed. It not only provides excellent ventilation but significantly increased the warmth of the cab-over part of the mattress. When it's time to collapse the bed, I just reach under the middle of the mattress with one hand and lift the Hypervent slightly while pushing on the extension, and the entire Hypervent sheet rides up and over the lip with very little effort. When the bed is collapsed, the mattress sits on top of the Hypervent. When I store the camper, I don't remove the mattress, but rather pull the bed extension out 6 inches and center the mattress so that air can circulate under the north and south sides of the mattress.

From the manufacturer: "HyperVent is a special material that consists of a white spun polymer woven into a large open configuration that is bonded to a breathable white fabric layer. This light mesh of polymer does not compress, allowing an open layer of air to form. It is 3/4" thick, allowing plenty of dry air to circulate. This material is lightweight and flexible, yet rigid enough to hold its shape indefinitely. The texture of HyperVent can not be felt even through the thinnest of mattresses!"

Hypervent (and similar products) come in a 39" width, so you'll need to order enough to attach two pieces to cover the entire cabover area, which means you'll have to order more than you need, attach two pieces together, and trim to size. It's easy to attach 2 pieces using the provided 3" flap on the cover material and hot glue. Or you could order it custom-made to size here: https://www.mattressinsider.com/mattress-condensation-prevention.html. I'm sure you can find it cheaper, by searching the internet of if you live in an area with lots of sailboats and cruisers.

I live in north central Florida, which sits right on the border between temperate and sub-tropical climate zones. My camper is on the truck and mostly out West from spring through fall. When stored for the winter here in Florida, my camper is on a dolly in a carport. From November-March, we experience weekly rapid changes in temperature and absolute humidity with each passing front, which leads to significant condensation when warm humid air comes in contact with metal or any other dense material that takes a while to warm up. I run a dehumidifier 1-2 times per month or more often if I'm in and out of the camper for whatever reason during one of the cold-and-dry-air-to-warm-and-humid-air transitions. If I'm away from home for a while, I'll use Eva-Dry renewable canisters. So far, I haven't had a hint of mold or mildew.

I also think keeping the camper under a roof dampens the temperature swings inside the camper because it reduces the super-cooling that occurs on cold, clear nights, and thus moderates the potential for condensation. I purposefully do not vent the camper while in storage, because I want to keep the air inside the camper relatively drier than the air outside the camper.

While I don't remove the mattress (at least, thus far), I do remove the cushions and anything that might absorb water (sheets, sleeping bags, books, food, clothing). I also remove any fluids in bottles or cans (e.g., wine, beer) that can create a condensation surface because they warm slowly compared to our rapid changes in absolute humidity. I pack very simply, using storage boxes or duffles, so unloading the camper is quick, easy and painless, and requires little thought or effort when it's time to repack.

Hope this helps!

x2 on the Hypervent. Purchased 3-4 years ago from Fisheries Supply. Think it is quite a bit less expensive than the DriDek but both are very good products. I like the idea of the mat vs the square but that's just me. I do quite a bit of week day hunting (fall season) in eastern Oregon where night time temperatures can run <30*. The ceiling wood strips build up with condensation(sleep time) and by morning can be frost. That is when I experience moisture build up under the mattress. Without the Hypervent the mattress bottom becomes soaked by the end of the week. With the Hypervent the water pools up on top of the melamine camper bed bottom below the open air space. When I return home I simply pull up the mattress and Hypervent and towel off the water accumulation and lay a few sticks below and allow total air circulation during the weekend. I refuse to run the fan and heater all nite(just me again) but do crack a vent. It is also true that i don't have the 2nd power vent above the bed but do open the window a bit. Having the Hawk on the pickup full time as well as having a pole barn to "open things up" when at home really helps while dealing with condensation. It all seems to be working for me with no mold issues at all. BTW-I do have the arctic pack, rarely pull out the mattress, and live in western Oregon.

Glad I spotted this last post. We installed Hypervent a month ago and immediately noticed that the mattress stayed dry, but there IS water between the melamine surface and the sheeting on the Hypervent.

Is the sheeting supposed to stay there? What would happen if it was removed? I suppose the Hypervent could lose cohesiveness.

PaulT said:
Do you have the sheeting down on the hard surface or up against the mattress?

https://www.hyperventonline.com/#about
Looks like the sheeting should be next to the mattress rather than next to the hard support surface?

Paul
sheeting is down. Just looked at the linked site. Doh. Sheeting should be up. OK, will reverse that tomorrow morning and test next week.

rubberlegs said:
Where is the condensation? Between mattress and the wooden bed base?
Yes, that's where the condensation was forming. Now with the Hypervent, the mattress is dry, but the sheeting on the hypervent gets quite wet where it sits on top of the "wooden" (actually melamine covered multi-ply base) bed.

Thanks. I’ve never checked for moisture there. We don’t use the bed extension as we sleep “east-west”.

I'm currently waiting for my camper to be built so I don't have access for any kind of measurements...

Curious how much extra room is there with the ceiling collapsed when using stock FWC mattress pads?

I've read a few threads about looking for more comfortable options but this is the first I've thought about condensation being an issue.

not much! Although I suspect that has changed over the years. Our Older Hawk seemed to have more room up there than our newer Puma. We have custom made 3" two layer foam mattress, and a woolen comforter on top of that. Since adding the 3/4" thick Hypervent, my wife can no longer get the front of the top closed. And that's with the turnbuckles as long as they go. I can do it, so we are good for now.

Vic Harder said:
Yes, that's where the condensation was forming. Now with the Hypervent, the mattress is dry, but the sheeting on the hypervent gets quite wet where it sits on top of the "wooden" (actually melamine covered multi-ply base) bed.
Looking at the Hypervent site, I read that the fabric should be on the top side of the Hypervent, away from the cold side. You might try that and see if it solves the moisture problem?

Back
Top Bottom