Infant safe sleeping setup in FWC

Ohpyramids

Hello everyone! I’m picking up an FWC Raven in about a month and we have a trip planned to celebrate.

My wife and I have a 6 month old and we would love to see what other parents are using to safely sleep with an infant in the FWC.

Normally we use pack & play, but it’s such a huge contraption, I don’t see where it could fit.

We use to have our kids sleep up in the cabover bed area with my wife, and I'd sleep down below on the couch.

In the beginning when it was just my daughter, we'd all sleep up in the cabover bed.

You can also roll the lower couch/bed only 1/2 way over, and pad some pillows and blankest down there. Makes for a pretty safe lower sleeping area for a child that way.

I'm in the same boat for with newborn coming and a 2 year old. We were thinking of putting some bumpers and barriers up top, but it's become a jungle gym for the 2 year old. I'll update you if we come up with any solutions.

We travelled in a Grandby with our daughter at that age.

My wife co-slept and nursed our daughter from birth so it was an easy transition to the camper.

The Grandby had a king slide out bed where my wife and daughter slept East-West. The extra slide out area was left bare without the mattress extension and held diaper supplies and a potty (we did EC). I believe my wife used one or two body pillows for support and blocking. We also added a very thin mattress topper. It was tight and bedding was taken off when lowering the roof.

I slept below in the spacious dinette bed below.

The only night issue was that I walloped my head on the slideout a couple times when waking up in the middle of the night.

Otherwise you must be super vigilant when your child is awake. Even with two of us right there and being disciplined about who was watching/on duty, we were getting her dressed and out of the corner of our eyes saw her somersault from the bed changing area into an open bench bin full of soft clothes. In a matter of a few seconds she had probably wiggled forward and once her head was over the edge she fell. Plus minus a few inches to either side and it could have been a very bad situation.

The Raven is smaller so you will probably need to sleep North-South which will at least secure the edges of the bed at night. Not sure there will be room for the man up there, you will have to negotiate that with your wife.

Make sure you have a sturdy nontip nonslip way of getting in the camper with baby, even in the dark. My other little protip is to get a sling or other carrying tool. It gives your infant a safe and snuggly place while you are up and moving around. When you are out camping it is super liberating to go places.

Back
Top Bottom