Inflatable kayak

hebegebe

I am looking for a inflatable to drag along that is slightly more than a toy. Been a kayaker since I was a youngster and scoffed at inflatables, but I think now it may be the ticket
If anyone has a positive experience with them pass it on, thanx

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

If you want something that will track, it needs to be something more than a Yellow Torpedo. I haven't looked at them for a long time, but Aire used to make some quality boats. Have you looked at some of the folding kayaks?

We've had our inflatable 12-ft Innova Sunny 2-person model for about 13 years now, and have had a whole lotta great experiences in it. Storage is in its own large weather-worthy rucksack with shoulder straps, total weight about 34 lbs, so it's hikeable for a reasonable distance. It has a rear skeg that keeps our headings mostly on track. Flip the seats and skeg around and you have a 1-person setup. For our FWC travel situation it's been a great compromise with respect to value, utility, and space considerations, even if it lacks some degree of functionality vs. a hard-shell kayak.
Rico

I got an Aquaglide Panther Inflatable Kayak last year and quite like it. And I keep it in the back seat area.

LRLGxnqnj9_Zzp_71JeUN6BlXpcrhLn3Wo5RX3tJpjKLUD3bcO0echTLSDoZpHAmc3FDkQhwJ083QYyKhD9YSDj8isl1LiaGtdIwyVGzvlTft4nGO2klZICQ5xhylpXgvjTzKbmkS4aUwhmXYcpeEwb7sWDjydE--Lem27j795SIM9sYfcvTay1f1wi10x_MlI4klU2nztAeajREyBrEtiChQq6AauouMJxDvyitwAvlgA9dBve6lx1Oqb7u5UDSSytF_NUTv8e_4pwHhX22beLYi1JsEiZ2GFdWPYi4fKkqpc3zzVkFMpBWyUUe-k1oV2OT4_U1bxtJkAmRme3oh9snNMMQeWvKOpDtfnj8GuaJsQ3dBffwwutiRJi0CXlc3GA-scWd1movK7I7Np9gfkwK6c8OMb1zqryzHezegCpeGukvEaBqX1XyFEK5wKakpLIuDnxi2VBLBHHZg33XmcVuRKR1GxRytSvykeBX0E8TXgaAeimHCs0kNRgN6qcsjb0YxjAW0pUpfG46HEs4S3apXhYcXHsoB9EK1wJ5x0QXc6WzKXv28ZUPhl_DyoaIaSbGvxIXJ0iAWGNM43Seez1kd_35I2TjmifTaEYDcHRocL1J7g=w2688-h1520-no

For several years I would carry our 12' Old Town "stillwater" fiberglass canoe on the camper.
Most of the time it would ride along for the many thousands of miles of a trip. Lifting the top wasn't a problem.
Plus I felt that if we hurt ourselves loading/unloading the canoe on a trip we would be up a creek (no pun intended).
So we got a Advanced Elements inflatable kayak. It's almost like a 2 person hard shell one. About 15' long and tracks well.
Only have used a couple times. One other thing about carrying a "boat/canoe/kayak" it's not just the extra weight on the roof to manage,but now in most western states you have to stop and have it inspected at a fee just to drive through that state or buy a season sticker to use in state.
I am all for stopping the spread of the nasty invasive s but it can get to be a PITA.

DSCN6035.jpg

DSCN6036.jpg

This is a nice kayak.
Frank

Thanks guys these are all good choices and it gives me confidence I can find something seaworthy. Now to push off and paddle through the net!

hebegebe said:
Thanks guys these are all good choices and it gives me confidence I can find something seaworthy. Now to push off and paddle through the net!

I ordered my Advanced Elements convertible DS series # AE1007ds,from Airkayak .com.
It's the deluxe one with the needed extras.Price is $999.
Hope this helps. I think that REI carries them or used to.
Frank

It looks awfully fragile though.
I would be concerned about rocks or other things it could scrap against.
Also there isn't a tandem model.
But I guess like our campers there are compromises.

My Advanced Elements actually folds up into a carry bag about the same size although it weighs more,but it is a tandem model.
Frank

I hoped to try an oru last fall, but couldn't find anybody or any store in the seattle area that carried the 16". I called and emailed them and they basically said, I had to buy one direct or come to the bay area. They look like a great idea, so may yet have to go down there and try one. Or I may build a Yost design. GuessI am spoiled by paddling, touring, and rolling hi performance, semi custom, carbon fibre kayaks for the last ten years.

I have been using an Advanced Elements IK for about 3 years now. Inflating it is really fast and it is very rigid. It's slow compared to a hardshell but it it tracks fairly well. My IK is 10.5' but if I could do it all over again I'd get the 13' which should be faster. I used to haul my 12" hardshell on top of my Hawk but started dreading hefting it up and tying it down wasn't easy either.

longhorn1 said:
Here is the web site for Advance Elements: http://www.advancedelements.com/

We have been looking.
John,if you go to airkayaks.com they are located the Ca. bay area.
I think they have free shipping. Great people to work with.
They have a up graded model of the AE 1007,it's a blue color,with the "drop stitch"
bottom that makes it nice and ridged.,and IMO the only type of bottom insert to have.Plus additional accessories to chose from.
I posted a photo on the first page of this thread.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
John,if you go to airkayaks.com they are located the Ca. bay area.
I think they have free shipping. Great people to work with.
They have a up graded model of the AE 1007,it's a blue color,with the "drop stitch"
bottom that makes it nice and ridged.,and IMO the only type of bottom insert to have.Plus additional accessories to chose from.
I posted a photo on the first page of this thread.
Frank
Thanks Frank. jd

camper rich said:
The reason I like this one is that it is only 42-1/2 lbs for a tandem, 15'6" long and 30" wide, and can be pumped to 10 psi due to it's dropstitch technology. All that equates to a longer, narrower, stiffer, and lighter boat that will be faster, ie. easier to paddle. I noticed the Airkayak has a dropstitch floor and so does the Advanced Elements, but this whole boat is dropstitch construction.

Back
Top Bottom