Info on Klamath River Hwy 96

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
We are thinking about traveling 96 the Klamath River Hwy,from I-5 sw to 299 than to the coast . Any info,camping places,fishing stops ,gas, road likes/dislikes, ect. Things good to know.
Thanks Frank

A little info from my last trip.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5479/page__hl__klamath__fromsearch__1

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5511/page__pid__61966__st__0&#entry61966

Frank,

Camping and exploring opportunities on the Klamath are pretty endless. There are numerous campgrounds especially on the upper portion of the 96...from I-5 down to Happy Camp. Some roads worth Exploring....Seiad .Creek Road (nice swimming holes and you can travel this road from the Applegate river near Ruch Oregon into California. Indian Creek Rd/Gray Back Rd. (Gets you way back in their and access to numerous FS roads, West Branch Campground, Kelly Lake, Poker Flat....etc). Clear Creek and Dillion Creek are worth exploring and again you can get way back in there. Salmon River Road and the Salmon River are a must for anyone who has not driven it and explored the area. you can connect Salmon R Road with the I-5 or take it all the way back to the Upper Trinity River Travel down Hwy 3 and hook up with 299 in Weaverville (This is a great drive and deserves a couples of days at least because of all the options it gives you to explore enroute). Traveling down past Orleans you get to Bluff Creek which is worth exploring (Access to Fish Lake). Once you get down to Weitchpec you can travel down 169 and hook up with Bald Hills road which will link you to Hwy 101 through Redwood National and State Parks (check road closures and restrictions if you plan on this one). Bald Hills Road is a great drive and I highly recommend it. If you make it down as far as Hoopa a nice side trip that is only traveled by locals and worth the drive is Supply Creek/Bair Rd (Supply Creek on the Hoopa Reservation and Bair Rd once you get into Redwood Valley. This road will take you over the hill and into Redwood Valley which will get you back to Hwy 299. At the top of this road you can explore Lacks Creek which was recently acquired from the Barnum Family.

Okay that is enough rambling. As you can tell there is a lot of land to explore in this area. I have been traveling and working in the Klamath Knot for a number of years and am still constantly amazed how much land is out there.

After doing some research if you have any questions about specific areas let me know and hopefully I can help you out.

Good Luck out there and have fun....there is a ton to see.

Cort

Back
Top Bottom