Inline Fuse for House Battery

jlrray

Advanced Member
I was diagnosing some electrical problems and noticed the inline fuse was blown. The fuse was located in the battery compartment, but the wiring comes from IOTA distribution panel most likely. The fuse is a 311-3AG glass tube (AGC) fuse (which after looking online is a 20AMP, 32V fuse) Is this the correct fuse to use? The inline fuse holder is messed up so will need to replace that as well. Anyone know what gauge fuse holder i'll need as well? Can I switch it to an ATC style fuse? Or a circuit breaker?

Have any pics?

Did you buy the camper used?

I can't ever remember FWC putting that sort of fuse in the battery box area?

Thanks for any additional information.

Hope this pic helps. Apparently the owner before me added a xantrex echo battery charger. There are three cables that come out there... one to Vehicle+ side, one to Camper + side and negative. There is also a fused connection that blew, that looks like its coming from the IOTA distribution unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 185
Yes, you are correct.

That was not wired up here at Four Wheel Campers like that.

But that said, everything looks OK at first glance.

:)

The wiring in the picture looks to be hooked up correctly.

Black FWC wires to negative - post(s).

White FWC wires to positive + post(s).

I have heard really good things about the Lifeline batteries (they are expensive!)

For years we have used an in-line spade type fuse rated at 30 amps.

It looks like this ... (see attached picture)

And also a couple of pictures on how we have done our battery wiring in the past.

I would suggest changing the fuse you have in there now and see how things go.

Or rewire with a better fuse holder that will accommodate a 30 amp fuse.

If the fuse blew on its own, and continues to blow after being replaced, then you have a wiring problem somewhere and it should be traced down.

I have seen a lot of customers blow fuses at the battery terminal, but almost 100% of the time it was when they reconnected the battery or disconnected the battery in the camper for some reason. It typically should not just happen out of the blue on its own.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

:)

Attachments

• In-Line Fuses.jpg
    In-Line Fuses.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 248
  • Aux Battery 22.jpg
    Aux Battery 22.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 185
  • ATM%20Fuse-Holder_gif.gif
    ATM%20Fuse-Holder_gif.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 192
u
ATO fuses are more secure, also your power panel uses ATO Type fuses. Switch over and you have to carry only one type of fuse.

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom