Inline water strainer inside camper 2 ?

dennis 221

After removing it,when u reinstall strainer do u lube the rubber gasket? If so with what,Vaseline ect. Also where can I purchase new rubber gaskets for it.

dennis 221 said:
After removing it,when u reinstall strainer do u lube the rubber gasket? If so with what,Vaseline ect. Also where can I purchase new rubber gaskets for it.
Food grade silicon grease might be the best, but Vasoline is often used, too. Assuming they are O rings, a good hardware store should have them. If it’s some other kind of seal, get the model number of the filter and us Professor Google.

I have not been lubricating mine and i remove it once or twice a year. No leaks yet. You shouldn’t need to lubricate it, but if you decide you want to I’d suggest avoiding petroleum jelly because it can damage some types of seals. Food grade silicone can be bought at plumbing stores including an Ace Hardware. Be careful not to over torque it if you lubricate it.

Here’s a link to the strainer assembly in my camper. I did not immediately see replacement gaskets on this dealer’s site, but it at least gets you an assembly part number if yours is the same. You could call them and ask about replacement gaskets. The whole thing is only $10. I’ve bought some parts from this dealer including making one return and they were good to deal with. Very fast.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/shurflo-255-313-255-213-water-pump-strainer-1-2-fpt-x-1-2-mpt/

I just yesterday pulled my pump [2016 Fleet] to unstick the piston in it. (Again, this time the piston was stuck due to calcification [I think]; last time the O-ring on the piston was tweaked [due to ice, I think].) I got some "Plumber's Grease [Faucet & Valve]" from Ace for all the O-rings I could easily get at inside the pump housing, and I lubed the strainer O-ring at the same time. (I ditto the earlier advice to not use Vaseline or any other petroleum product; the lit. I read said they will degrade O-rings, FWIW.) First time I've lubed the strainer O-ring, and it looked like it needed it [getting a little 'dried out']. That O-ring looks rather "special" to me; didn't see anything like it in the very extensive selection at my local Ace. But Ace did have the piston O-ring, and for 40 cents I grabbed one. Given this is the second time the piston in my pump has seized up due to the piston O-ring getting jammed somehow or other, seems like it is a weak link in an otherwise very sturdy little machine.

If anyone has read this far and wants more of my blather on this fascinating subject see my earlier posts on Shur-Flo Water Pump.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/24654-water-pump-2017-hawk/

And have a great time wrestling your pump out of the little nook or cranny FWC wedged it into! (I'm pretty sure they built the cabinet around mine, or they've got double-jointed elbows!)

JN

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom