Installed Wilco Hitchgate with Driver's side offset

gaylon

Installed yesterday. Seems very solid and well made. Let me know if you have any questions. I will need to relocate the license plate.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 482
rubberlegs said:
Can you mount the license plate on the spare somehow?
I could, but it would be covered by the trasharoo. If I can't get a kit from Wilco to relocate it, I will fab something - not too worried about it.

I really like the setup! I would love to add one but I tow just about every trip. Either Trekmate little trailer, Kayak 3 boat trailer or flat tow my Jeep. Would be PIA always switching the spare :(

XJINTX said:
I really like the setup! I would love to add one but I tow just about every trip. Either Trekmate little trailer, Kayak 3 boat trailer or flat tow my Jeep. Would be PIA always switching the spare :(
I’m pretty sure you can still tow. This is essentially a very strong hitch extender.

Wilco makes a plate relocation kit. You'll find two holes under the outer swing bar with plastic plugs in them. The plate relocation kit has rubber threaded grommets that fit in, and an L bracket to attach the plate too.

And I love my Hitchgate. It put up with a lot of rough roads over the past 3 weeks with no issues at all. I ran an extra support strap while on the Dempster, because I'm paranoid, but I really don't think it needed it. 20180704_135915.jpeg

Thanks for the review. I hope to get ours in a week or two after waiting for almost two months. I ordered the reverse offset to make it easier to access the passenger side of the camper from the rear stairs.
Do you happen to have a picture taken from the side showing how much space you have between the camper/bumper and the carrier?
Thanks.

Not sure which angle you wanted...

Attachments

• 66FB1F38-7586-4DA1-8424-6DBAF89782BB.jpeg
    66FB1F38-7586-4DA1-8424-6DBAF89782BB.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 291
  • BEF8DC9E-3ED5-46EC-BFE2-62067FE228FC.jpeg
    BEF8DC9E-3ED5-46EC-BFE2-62067FE228FC.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 316
  • FED76340-8FB7-4356-965D-D772E13FD498.jpeg
    FED76340-8FB7-4356-965D-D772E13FD498.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 252
trikebubble said:
And I love my Hitchgate. It put up with a lot of rough roads over the past 3 weeks with no issues at all. I ran an extra support strap while on the Dempster, because I'm paranoid, but I really don't think it needed it.
attachicon.gif
20180704_135915.jpeg
I think that step would fail before the hitchgate failed.

trikebubble said:
Wilco makes a plate relocation kit. You'll find two holes under the outer swing bar with plastic plugs in them. The plate relocation kit has rubber threaded grommets that fit in, and an L bracket to attach the plate too.
They have a new license plate relocation kit and a new threaded hole in the hitchgate near the receiver to receive it. I ordered it and the light kit today. I'll post pics on Wednesday after I install it.

Very nice and thank you for sharing. I've been contemplating the Wilco myself. Price point is reasonable and there are currently no aftermarket bumpers with tire carrier for my truck in production. I love the idea of an easily accessible full-size spare, place to mount maxtrax and MOST importantly, a spot for a trash-a-roo.

My big concern is the hitch is only rated to 7,500 lb. Not that I tow anything, but my truck/camper is around 10,000 lb and that is pretty effectively my only rear recovery point.

I'm curious, is it pretty stout? Any play? Thanks!

Have had mine on for over a year, no playin hitch and no rattles. It does lean a bit to one side, have spoken with them at length on this, it is because I had to use an extension.
Have also pulled people out of the sand at lake powell, no issues.
Not much else out there for a full size spare carrier.
Over all, pretty satisfied.

doc said:
Very nice and thank you for sharing. I've been contemplating the Wilco myself. Price point is reasonable and there are currently no aftermarket bumpers with tire carrier for my truck in production. I love the idea of an easily accessible full-size spare, place to mount maxtrax and MOST importantly, a spot for a trash-a-roo.

My big concern is the hitch is only rated to 7,500 lb. Not that I tow anything, but my truck/camper is around 10,000 lb and that is pretty effectively my only rear recovery point.

I'm curious, is it pretty stout? Any play? Thanks!
It seems very stout. The hitch extension part of the system seems every bit as stout as any other hitch extension system, so I would not be concerned.

Wango said:
Have had mine on for over a year, no playin hitch and no rattles. It does lean a bit to one side, have spoken with them at length on this, it is because I had to use an extension.
Have also pulled people out of the sand at lake powell, no issues.
Not much else out there for a full size spare carrier.
Over all, pretty satisfied.
Mine leaned at first. I loosened the wedgelock system, then swung the tire carrier open. Using the tire as leverage, I slowly swung the carrier until the system was level, then tightened up the wedgelock. When I closed the carrier - no lean.

gaylon said:
Not sure which angle you wanted...
Gaylon thank you. The first picture is what I was hoping to see. It looks like the carrier starts about 2-3 inches from the end of the hitch. Now I have to go and measure the distance between the end of our camper and the hitch.

smlobx said:
Gaylon thank you. The first picture is what I was hoping to see. It looks like the carrier starts about 2-3 inches from the end of the hitch. Now I have to go and measure the distance between the end of our camper and the hitch.
Eddie - you are welcome. Wilco (and others) also sell a hitch extender, which could give you more clearance.

Gaylon,
have wedge locks on both, extender and main part of unit. Will try your idea though, usually put the whole thing together then put the tire up there.

Pics with the 'solo' license plate relo bracket. There is a threaded bushing on (at least some of) the new racks that this bolts right into. The bracket came with a nut also, so you could put it through the hitch pin hole, I would expect, might need a fender washer for that. I will hook up the lights this weekend and see how badly the camera affects the lighting. I am hopeful that it will be enough and I can run the camera there.

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 145
gaylon said:
I think that step would fail before the hitchgate failed.
Most likely. I had a nagging rattle I was also trying to diagnose, and thought a little extra tension may help determine if it was coming from the Hitchgate or anything attached to it (which it wasn't)

Back
Top Bottom