Installing a Stove in my Eagle

Mysteryz

I've tried and searched on WTW a bit, but found little reviews/information on installing a stove in my Eagle.

What are your thoughts and experience with installing or having a stove in your camper. Any thing that you noticed or learned from having one would be great.

I was thinking of purchasing something like this, and running it off of propane. I should note that I am building out a shell, so I currently have no stove top installed in my camper either.

I own an Eagle but I think you'd lose a lot of storage space?

We use this sometimes, because it's portable we can chose when to bring or not It also fits in my swing out bumper cabinet which is another useful spot to keep it on long trips, I can confirm the 5 star review on amazon...it's a great stove/oven.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camping-Outdoor-Burner/dp/B0013LLSZG/ref=asc_df_B0013LLSZG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194838933099&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=998575638061337232&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031422&hvtargid=pla-313972876734&psc=1

knoxswift said:
I own an Eagle but I think you'd lose a lot of storage space?

We use this sometimes, because it's portable we can chose when to bring or not It also fits in my swing out bumper cabinet which is another useful spot to keep it on long trips, I can confirm the 5 star review on amazon...it's a great stove/oven.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camping-Outdoor-Burner/dp/B0013LLSZG/ref=asc_df_B0013LLSZG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194838933099&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=998575638061337232&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031422&hvtargid=pla-313972876734&psc=1
Thanks for the input, due to my design, storage is not an issue (just two of us) At this point, I think I would much rather have that part of the "kitchen" be used for an oven, rather than storage. Definitely something to consider though!

I have looked at that very stove/oven, and love the idea of it being portable. However, I would like something more permanent inside the camper and have know some folks who mentioned they would be concerned with that option as it might not be the best long term solution.

I have one in my Eagle and it's on the counter on the bed side. I'd move it near to the door so you could have the bed extended and still cook. I think that's how FWC does it now.

kmcintyre said:
I have one in my Eagle and it's on the counter on the bed side. I'd move it near to the door so you could have the bed extended and still cook. I think that's how FWC does it now.
Can you elaborate what you mean by bed extended? I do not have a tailgate so I am confused as to how to extend my bed...

The reference is to the bed in the camper, not the truck bed. On earlier campers, the stove was close to or under the sliding bed extension, and you couldn’t use the stove when the bed extension was pulled out.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The reference is to the bed in the camper, not the truck bed. On earlier campers, the stove was close to or under the sliding bed extension, and you couldn’t use the stove when the bed extension was pulled out.
That's what I meant :)

So what will your propane source be? If you choose 5#, 10#, or 20# tanks, you will need to hang the tank on the outside of the camper or build a proper propane compartment. That may be costly.

I have an Eagle shell and have gone the way of a portable Partner stove as when possible I do my cooking outdoors. It works fine inside too on the counter top. Ron

shellback said:
So what will your propane source be? If you choose 5#, 10#, or 20# tanks, you will need to hang the tank on the outside of the camper or build a proper propane compartment. That may be costly.
I've always wondered why this is, if you have a proper detection system? Just a precaution in case it explodes?

I have a 2000 eagle with the stove in conflict with the extended bed. Wake up and can't make coffee without breaking down the bed. Got in the habit of just using a portable and wish the stove were either gone or also a smooth top for use of space. Generally we just boil water so don't really need much of a setup. Cooking can be stinky and messy and I don't really like using it much indoors unless I have to.

Mysteryz said:
I've always wondered why this is, if you have a proper detection system? Just a precaution in case it explodes?
Propane tanks are designed to allow gas to escape when the propane in the tank expands due to temperature increase. If your propane tank is inside without being in a sealed and vented box, then the propane will vent into your camper, instead of the outside. If your propane tank is outside then it just vents to the atmosphere. Its a legal as well as a safety requirement.

A propane detector informs you that you have a leak.

Tahoems said:
I have a 2000 eagle with the stove in conflict with the extended bed. Wake up and can't make coffee without breaking down the bed. Got in the habit of just using a portable and wish the stove were either gone or also a smooth top for use of space. Generally we just boil water so don't really need much of a setup. Cooking can be stinky and messy and I don't really like using it much indoors unless I have to.
Kind of our thoughts too so we (I) just use the jetboil outside for boiling water (aka coffee). We do use the stove for dinners sometimes but that's not such an issue as the bed is pushed back in during the day BUT... it'd be nice to have the option of leaving the bed out.

nikonron said:
I have an Eagle shell and have gone the way of a portable Partner stove as when possible I do my cooking outdoors. It works fine inside too on the counter top. Ron
I second the partner steel stoves, I have mine on a quick disconnect so I can cook inside or outside with the same stove. Also the foldable 9" fits perfectly under the couch.

larryqp said:
Propane tanks are designed to allow gas to escape when the propane in the tank expands due to temperature increase. If your propane tank is inside without being in a sealed and vented box, then the propane will vent into your camper, instead of the outside. If your propane tank is outside then it just vents to the atmosphere. Its a legal as well as a safety requirement.

A propane detector informs you that you have a leak.
My understanding is that the gas being released is primarily water. The detectors I was referring to would also be CO2 and CO detectors.

In any case, propane gas itself is more dense than air and would accumulate on the bottom of the camper (where the door is located) and flow outside with any natural air flow, it seems.

I guess my question is; is propane leaking into your camper, and thus asphyxiation, everyone’s concern with propane needing to be in a sealed container or outside? Are there actual legal requirements as larry mentioned?

Mysteryz said:
My understanding is that the gas being released is primarily water. The detectors I was referring to would also be CO2 and CO detectors.

In any case, propane gas itself is more dense than air and would accumulate on the bottom of the camper (where the door is located) and flow outside with any natural air flow, it seems.

I guess my question is; is propane leaking into your camper, and thus asphyxiation, everyone’s concern with propane needing to be in a sealed container or outside? Are there actual legal requirements as larry mentioned?
I'd worry more about the big boom that could occur when you get a spark from say, the refrigerator, lighting the stove... That's a heck of a way to learn to fly...

Hi, Mysteryz-

I wonder if the water you're thinking of is the water/moisture from the combustion of propane rather than the escaped propane-rich LPG gases from the tank that would occur in a propane locker.

Also- the typical detector in a Four Wheel camper is a combination LPG/CO detector. It does not detect CO2.

LPG is indeed more dense than air and would accumulate on the bottom of the camper, where it is both a fire/explosion hazard and an asphyxiation hazard. Whether it actually results in a fire or explosion would depend on concentration of the gas/air mixture and presence of an ignition source. If it drains out fast enough to avoid building up a concentration, there would be no fire/explosion.

So what do sprinters/van lifers do with their propane? Seems like very few home builds have a designated capsule/container...

Old Crow said:
Hi, Mysteryz-

I wonder if the water you're thinking of is the water/moisture from the combustion of propane rather than the escaped propane-rich LPG gases from the tank that would occur in a propane locker.

Also- the typical detector in a Four Wheel camper is a combination LPG/CO detector. It does not detect CO2.

LPG is indeed more dense than air and would accumulate on the bottom of the camper, where it is both a fire/explosion hazard and an asphyxiation hazard. Whether it actually results in a fire or explosion would depend on concentration of the gas/air mixture and presence of an ignition source. If it drains out fast enough to avoid building up a concentration, there would be no fire/explosion.
CO2 is not released during combustion of propane or natural gas, just so we are on the same page. Seems the OP would install a CO2 detector for some other reason(s)

Back
Top Bottom